Author Topic: Keeps being sick  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
Re: Keeps being sick
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 16:06:26 PM »
My boy cat pretty much only eats porta 21 dry. I can occasionally get him to eat applaws chicken but he loves the porta. He will eat a few other dry foods but goes off them quickly.

Couldn't you just get him to eat less of the porta 21 dry? I know it's not ideal having them eat only dry but they can be very stubborn critters. I've brought a cat fountain to make Xander drink more and it seems to work.   

How about getting him to do more exercise? Have you tried da bird? Always gets my two moving.

I got my cat a water fountain and its the best item i have ever got. He drinks and paws the watwr all the time, but most importantlu his coat is fluffy soft and shiny. Plus when he is not feeling too great the water trickle encourages him to have some even if he doesnt fancy food. Xxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 14:35:57 PM »
Thats really great and have to say cold blasts of wind or snow would definately keep me in too  ;D

Offline Bantiekeeper

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Boy
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »
Well, we seem to be back to normal now. Boy has not been sick anymore. For his age he is still energetic and alert. Still walks to the allotment with me except the last few days when he is hit by a cold blast of wind and or snow when I open the back door to go! :scared: :-: :thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 18:39:13 PM »
Thats really good and think you should just see how it goes  ;D

Offline Bantiekeeper

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 16:15:11 PM »
Well we have slowly got Boy back onto his old diet. He is now having half a tin of Gourmet plus the same amount of either fish or chicken twice a day plus a few kibbles of dry at lunchtime. He has not been sick for five days now so fingers crossed! Someone suggested that if the diet is bland one should consider a vitamin supplement as well. With what he is now on would this be a good idea or should we see how he goes? All advice gratefully received. :thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »
There are many other wet foods other than the two you have fed which sound like they are way too rich, try something basic like Felix, Whiskers, Gourmet or Sheba, actually the last two are not that basic!

Do any change very slowly

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »
I think dry food can make some cats put on weight but my two are the opposite. Buffy eats nearly all wet and is overweight at the moment, she tends to be fatter in the winter though. Xander is about the right weight and as I said eats virtually all dry. You could try giving him less dry but making him work for it using something like a treat ball or the other feed type puzzles. 

Offline Bantiekeeper

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 23:32:28 PM »
I did forget to say that although we have cut down on the Porta we are still giving him other dried food.
When we took boy to the vet last year although he had lost 200gms over the previous 12 months he still weighed 6.7kgs and the vet said we should get him down to 6kg. The concencus on this forum was that we should move him onto a wet diet and cut down the dry. Both the Bozita and Animonda after a while have both led him to be sick and subsequently to walk away from the food bowl. Not sure what to do now.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 23:20:40 PM »
as I understand it, fish and chicken is not a complete diet for a cat, and he will not thrive on it - he would do better on the dry, as at least that contains all the trace elements a cat needs, and a spoonful of wet food will make no difference at all, surely

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Bantiekeeper

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 23:07:32 PM »
We have cut right down on the Porta dry at the moment. Trying to get him back on his old diet of fish and chicken with a spoonful of tinned wet. He is quite active for his age and spends a lot of time with us on the allotment. Also loves playing with the iPad earphones. Has not been sick again since Sunday.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 22:36:53 PM »
My boy cat pretty much only eats porta 21 dry. I can occasionally get him to eat applaws chicken but he loves the porta. He will eat a few other dry foods but goes off them quickly.

Couldn't you just get him to eat less of the porta 21 dry? I know it's not ideal having them eat only dry but they can be very stubborn critters. I've brought a cat fountain to make Xander drink more and it seems to work.   

How about getting him to do more exercise? Have you tried da bird? Always gets my two moving.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 23:44:17 PM »
This sounds good but dont starve him  :innocent:

Offline Bantiekeeper

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 22:24:19 PM »
Just an update, Boy is still ok and not been sick anymore. He came to the allotment with me this afternoon and sat in the greenhouse with the bantams. Had a light tea and went to bed until 9 o'clock. Just left him with a few kibbles a of Porta dry to see him through the night!

Offline Bantiekeeper

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
Thanks Gill, Boy has not been sick since yesterday afternoon. We are only giving him small portions of his old diet.
He has been in the garden on his scratching pole and having a wander about. He had a small portion of fish and chicken for his breakfast and a few kibbles of Porta 21 dried about noon. Now fast asleep on the settee.
Will see how he goes for a day or so. Thanks again.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
I agree with Kay and would go back to his previous diet as yes the new one maybe too rich but also may have something in that disagrees with him.

He will be hungry as the food is not staying in him long enough for it to be digested.

It may take a couple of days for the old food to work and if it doesnt then you need to get him to a vet pronto.

Hope that the old food works magic  :hug:

Offline Bantiekeeper

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 21:45:30 PM »
Thanks Kay, he seems ok in himself, very alert. Some of the Animonda new food contains offal and the Hilife poultry mix includes one with liver and one with beef so you may be onto something.
As he seems very hungry, having bought most of his food back up today, I have just given him a couple of forkfuls of white cooked fish to see him through the night. There is also plenty of water available should he need it. Here's hoping I do not have to clear it up in the morning!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 21:20:08 PM »
I have a dried food addict who is violently sick if she eats even a few crumbs of the cooked liver and kidney I give to my Trigger, and I have always assumed that is because it is too rich for her

I think you need to go back to the previous diet for a couple of weeks to see if that resolves the problem - at least then you will know if it is diet related or something else going on - although of course if he shows any signs of being really unwell you will need to take him to the vet without delay
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Bantiekeeper

• Kitten
Keeps being sick
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 19:22:52 PM »
Hi everyone, advice please. In an attempt to reduce "Boys" weight, about 2 months ago we changed his food.
We reduced his intake of dried food as suggested and put him on Bozita and more recently Animonda. He also has, a couple of times a week, fresh white fish (his favourite). Over the last week however he is being sick most days. Not always after feeding, it can be four hours later and he will bring up the previous meal in a mousse like digested condition. He is drinking his normal amount of water. Before the change of regime he had Porta 21 dried food (another favourite, but high in fat, fresh chicken and white fish. Have we upset his digestive system?
Is this new food too rich for him do you think? Is it worth going back to chicken and fish with a reduced dried ration and see what happens.
He is 14 years old and quite active for his age.

Link to CatChat