Author Topic: Extra Teeth!  (Read 2938 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Extra Teeth!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 22:48:55 PM »
The baby teeth will drop out with time some are just slower than others so it makes them look like a double set.  It is completely normal for gum inflammation during this teething period and so long as he is getting good nutrition then I really woukdnt worry about the inflammation at the moment, as its to be expected.  Should it continue past 18 months old or get very bad, then yes it may need looked at.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 22:52:09 PM »
Thanks Tiggy's Mum

Yes the picture is what he has just the extra teeth are longer and pressing down on his gum which is causing the inflammation.

I took that pic when I first noticed the 'extra' teeth as I had never had a kitten as an adult before so didn't know if it was normal and think I asked on here! His adult teeth grew bigger and eventually the baby teeth dropped out so fingers crossed the same will happen to Spirit before long - if you're lucky you might even find one of his teeth to keep hold of as a keepsake!

Lovely pics of the gorgeous Spirit, the cuddling his toy one is extra cute :Luv2:

That bear isn't his it's mine...

Not anymore  :naughty:

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Spirit
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 22:47:36 PM »
Love those pictures especially the smug cat  ;D ;D

Sorry you have not been well and afraid I have never heard of that food and purrsonally would stick with what he prefers to eat.

I love that pic of him, his usual pose while having a cuddle lol

I am going to stick to his Purely's as he likes it and it's reasonable for a food with no cereals and a nice high protein level

So nice to be back

Edited to say just gone to order some more and they have changed the recipe so now it contains cereal and all sorts of other things that I don't really want him eating grr why do they do this
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 22:51:12 PM by Witchling86 »

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 22:44:24 PM »

Lovely pics of the gorgeous Spirit, the cuddling his toy one is extra cute :Luv2:

That bear isn't his it's mine he just thinks bear belongs to him  >:(

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 22:42:48 PM »
Thanks Tiggy's Mum

Yes the picture is what he has just the extra teeth are longer and pressing down on his gum which is causing the inflammation.

I will stick to his normal food as he is perfectly happy with it and he looks great on it too, and to be honest until the vet showed me I didn't even realize they were there he certainly hasn't shown any signs of anything being wrong with his mouth.

Have bought him lots of new toys to chew on to ease any discomfort (along with Meta-cam) this slightly nutty woman has even put the rubber chewy thing she bought in the fridge to cool his gums which he loves lol

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 22:23:43 PM »
 :welcome: back Stacey

When you say 'extra teeth' do you mean like this pic? Riley had extra teeth when he was teething (he was about 5 1/2 months old) - they just dropped out as the adult ones grew and didn't cause him any problems.

I would think that if his gums are sore (as is normal in teething) that the specially designed 'dental' food wouldn't be any good for him as they are larger pieces and are designed to shatter on impact to prevent build up on the teeth, which Shadow won't have at such a young age anyway.

I'd be inclined to stick to what he's happy with at this stage and if there are issues further down the line with his teeth to look into different foods then.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 22:03:40 PM »
Love those pictures especially the smug cat  ;D ;D

Sorry you have not been well and afraid I have never heard of that food and purrsonally would stick with what he prefers to eat.

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
Extra Teeth!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 21:20:18 PM »
Sorry that I haven't been around lately but I haven't been very well and have been snuggled up in bed with Spirit

Speaking of Spirit he went to the vets last week to be neutered which went very well (actually you would never had known he had had anything done lol) he was also Micro-chipped at the same time and during his health check they discovered that he has baby teeth which are causing his gums to be inflamed so they have prescribed Meta-cam and he is going back for a check up on the 4th.

Vet has told me that he will either out grow this our it may require further action down the line, she has also recommended that he eats oral care food, to make sure that his mouth stays nice and healthy however I can not find a kitten food that is oral care so I turn to my wonderful purrs family for advice.

He is currently eating Purely's Kitten Food from Pets At Home as this is all he will eat as he has become a fuss pot and he loves the dry food whereas he will take or leave the wet food, it does say on the pack promotes healthy teeth and gums but am just wondering if this is enough

Thanks in advance

Stacey

PS Here's a few pics of him as I know you all love a picture lol

Link to CatChat