Author Topic: RSPCA - private prosecutions to help stop animal cruelty  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: RSPCA - private prosecutions to help stop animal cruelty
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 16:07:58 PM »
I don't think this is going to go anywhere to be honest. The Charity commission have said they are happy with the RSPCA. I know MPs want to say it's politically motivated. The RSPCA prosecute people from the left and right and from rich or poor it's not like they just go after rich tories. It's a complete waste of parliamentary time though.I also think it's for members to decide what the money is used for not MPs. I think it would set a impossible president if MPs could tell charities how to spend their money.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 15:36:24 PM »
Response from my MP:
I don't think anyone doubts that the RSPCA does vital work for the animals of this country, including in its role as a prosecutor. I think the debate in question concerns whether, in the case of prosecuting the Heythrop hunt, the charity was sufficiently prudent in its use of the Trust's funds and whether it can be conflicted by the fact it has a political and commercial interest in the cases it undertakes.

Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the debate due to my ministerial duties.

Best wishes,

Michael Fallon
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
What will they be debating exactly? If the RSPCA are allowed to prosecute cruelty cases? This isn't a dig, but isn't that pretty much ALL they do now?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 14:29:59 PM »
done although my mp is a total  :censored: so don't expect much from him

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 15:11:05 PM »
the Countryside Alliance seem to be the UK equivalent of the American gun lobby

powerful, rich and with friends in high political circles - and of course seemingly indifferent to suffering and death

unfortunately that is a description which more or less fits the RSPCA too
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 15:05:41 PM »
I've emailed my MP, I know she won't take any notice as she is not interested in animal welfare. I'm the same as you Jezebel, doesn't stop me bugging her every few weeks though.

I find it surprising that it got this far. The Telegraph seems to have an anti RSPCA article every few days at the moment with most of the articles being complete non-articles. I don't believe the RSPCA are in anyway acting politically unlike the Telegraph. It's all very depressing.   

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 14:57:09 PM »
Done.

I've emailed my MP about so many animals issues, he's probably going to blacklist me soon!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
RSPCA - private prosecutions to help stop animal cruelty
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 14:29:04 PM »
Just received this email from the branch I do home visits for and wondered if you might be interested.

Mary

You may be aware that a debate is taking place in Westminster on Tuesday 29 January between 9:30 -11:00 am and it will be about the RSPCA and our right to bring forward private prosecutions.

The MP who has initiated the debate is Simon Hart, a former CEO of the Countryside Alliance, who has recently been publicly critical of the RSPCA and is actively seeking the return of blood sports.

The debate takes place in a small room off Westminster Hall and does not take place in the main chamber, but we would like to encourage you to invite your local MP to attend the meeting and help support the RSPCA and provide some balance to the debate.

Click on the link below to send an invitation to your MP to attend the debate (it takes less than 90 seconds):

http://www.rspca.org.uk/in-action/whatwedo/prosecution/defend

or if you have time then attend your local constituency surgery with your MP on Friday and let them know how important it is that RSPCA can bring private prosecutions to help stop animal cruelty.

If you would like a political briefing and more information then click on the link below:

http://www.politicalanimal.org.uk/how-we-work

Please share this with your friends, family, colleagues and supporters of your branch.

Many thanks for your support.

Julie Cockroft

Animal Centre Manager /SQP/Animal Health Advisor

RSPCA Halifax, Huddersfield and District Branch

Wade Street - Halifax - HX1 1SN

Tel : 01422 365628

www.rspca-halifaxandhuddersfield.org.uk

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Link to CatChat