Author Topic: New kitten, diarrohea, worms  (Read 1167 times)

Offline nikkirip

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Bacardi and Dexter (and Albus the Dartmoor Pony!)
Re: New kitten, diarrohea, worms
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »
Hi. Thank you. Had him to vets. had an injection for the diarrheoa and got some panacur to give him beginning next week. hopefully he'll feel better soon. Thanks again

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: New kitten, diarrohea, worms
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
If the worms are alive then he needs worming asap. Use the wormer your vet gave you, which will be suitable for kittens.

The worms you describe don't sound like tapeworm, as these are segmented and look like little rice grains, so they're probably roundworms. These arrive in the kitten from their mother so are very common. The diarrhea is very likely to be linked to the presence of these parasites, you may find she also vomits them up. Not nice but her little body is rejecting them.

If you use Google Images, just google the term "cat worms" and you'll see the pictures of what you describe.

There's a great section in our Health and Behaviour module about worms, and how to prevent and treat them, but I'm very glad you've already seen your vet and he has prepared you well with the treatments.

As for the future, there are various flea and worm programs available so research products like Program, Advocat, Advantage, Profender etc and see which ones will suit your lifestyle and then check out the various on-line prices at VetUk or Animed Direct for good reliable supplies.

Do bear in mind that the dose will change as your kitten gets bigger, as all these medicines are dosed according to the animals weight and are easy to over/under dose if you get it wrong.

Offline nikkirip

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Bacardi and Dexter (and Albus the Dartmoor Pony!)
New kitten, diarrohea, worms
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 07:45:03 AM »
Hi again. I posted about first injections the other day. Dexter has made a full recovery. The vet gave me a spot-on wormer and de-flea treatment and told me to leave a couple of days as it might make injection site sting. Anyway overnight he has had quite bad (liquid) diarrhoea but in it was a lot of worms. They were long an thin like thin rubber bands. He is bright in himself but his belly not as bloated. I have out wormer on him now and disnfected cage, litter tray, washed all bowls and his bedding now in the wash.

Are there any other precautions to take?
What type of worms could they be?
Should I be worried about the diarhoea aspect?

Many thanks for your help once again.

Link to CatChat