Author Topic: Kaogel for tummy upsets  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
Re: Kaogel for tummy upsets
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 21:36:39 PM »
we were prescribed this for our Licky as his Thyroid tablets have caused is poo to be running but then last visit a different vet told us to not use it and just concentrate on controlling his thyroid levels before messing with anything else and most importantly clogging your pet will loads of medication.

I think this should be used in extreme cases and should consult a vet about sickness and related issues as you need to treat the under lining reasons for this symptoms as it could be serious.

I used it once and it didnt do much to be honest.   

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 23:45:23 PM »
Thanks Souffle, I had a feeling it was Kaolin based and not for sickness at all,

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 21:40:42 PM »
Description for Gill :Kaogel is an off white oral suspension, containing 0.99 g Kaolin Light per 5 ml, for the treatment of diarrhoea of non-specific origins in cats and dogs. The active principal is kaolin light which is a well-established gastro-intestinal adsorbent of toxins and other substances. It also increases the bulk of the faeces to aid peristalsis.

I don't think I'd treat a cat with this myself without seeing the vet first in case it was the wrong thing to give for my cat's illness. I have never been prescribed this for a cat personally though I have had it for dogs alongside other meds for diarrhoea.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 15:15:31 PM »
never heard of it!

Most throwing up is to do with fur balls which is a natural thing so wouldnt want to give mine anything for that.

Offline Christine11

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Five cats
Kaogel for tummy upsets
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 14:08:58 PM »
 :P  After having cats for years and going through the usual throwings up etc. I've come to rely on Kaogel for minor tummy upsets and always have a bottle in my fridge (it lasts for ages).  You know the old expression an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, well this applies here.  Don't take my word for it but it's worth enquiring about.  You get it from the vet and it's very cheap and can save you a lot of money on vet consultations etc.  In any event, you should always consult a vet immediately if there's something wrong.

Link to CatChat