Author Topic: First injection....now very quiet  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: First injection....now very quiet
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 16:47:04 PM »
Glad to hear Dexter has made a full recovery. I bet you're very relieved  ;D

Offline nikkirip

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Bacardi and Dexter (and Albus the Dartmoor Pony!)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 17:19:48 PM »
Oops. Sorry for awful text. I was typing off phone and have hit all wrong buttons. Hope you ma[movemanaged to decipher!

Offline nikkirip

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:52:54 AM »
Thanks all. Its now 7.45 am and he us tearing around the house making hus chirruping noises. Looking more like his little self so has recovered. Still nit really speaking to me at the moment. Hopefully he will forgive me soon. I'm making by husband take him for the next ibe and definitely for the neutering. That is mist definitely a boy thing. X

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 22:56:38 PM »
The luekemia part can be done seperately and then there is no reaction but more costly.

Yes Geoffrey has the leukaemia part done 3 weeks after the normal booster.  When he had it all done together he got a large swelling about the size of a butterbean, which took about a month to go down. By separating them out, he still gets a lump, but it's about the size of a baked bean and it goes within a couple of weeks. I still have him done as I don't think he was vaccinated before I got him aged 8 and he does fight occasionally so is still at risk.  Fortunately my vet doesn't charge me extra for separating the jabs out; I think I'm there so often anyway she doesn't have the heart  :rofl:

Hope your little one perks up very soon xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 15:20:24 PM »
I dont have mine done for Leukemia although I did have Lupin done the first time, as they get older they become immune to it but very young cats wont have that yet.

Its not the leukemia part that causes the reaction but the thing they put in to allow the leukemia part to work along side the rest.

The luekemia part can be done seperately and then there is no reaction but more costly.

So I was told, if there is going to be a dangerous reaction it happens within an hour and the cat needs to be got back to the vets for immediate treatment because it could die.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 15:19:57 PM »
I don't think it's anything to worry about. Some react more than others to their jabs in my experience (from being a bit under par to really unwell) but they soon bounce back. I'm sure he'll be fine by tomorrow but if not, speak to the surgery then.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 15:07:41 PM »
Do contact the vet one of my cats had a reaction to the leukemia part of the jab. she was really ill and I thought she was going to die. Although at the time the vet denied there were any problem with the jab. I since found out quite a few cats have been effected and another vet told me she doesn't get her cat injected against leukemia as she has a bad reaction to it. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »
injections can make them feel a bit poorly or he might be a bit bruised poor little thing - is he still eating?  if you are worried don't hesitate to call the vet

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
What was he vacinated for? Its more like the effects of the jab but you need to speak to the vet.

Offline nikkirip

• Kitten
First injection....now very quiet
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
Hi. Ive just got a kitten to go with my 9 year old female cat, Bacardi. Too]k Dexter fir his first injection and he has gone from a bouncing, talkative attention craving boy who follows me round to withdrawn, tired quiet and everytime I go near him he runs away. Has shown improvemen now (18 hours following). I this normal? Im assuming its mainly affect of the injevtion and should go away. But a little concerned he doesnt like me anyore because I took him to the vets.

Sorry for being an anxious New parent again. Its been a long time since ive had a kitten!

Link to CatChat