Author Topic: How far is too close to rehome?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Re: How far is too close to rehome?
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 19:37:38 PM »
Quote from: Hippykitty link=topic=42618.msg756955#msg756955 date=135 8906807
If you find it impossible to choose, try a trick of mine: toss a coin. If you want to do "best of three" then you know the coin didn't give you the answer your heart wanted to hear. On the other hand, if you're happy with the result of the toss, that was the answer you wanted.

Yes I do that and it really does work.  ;D   I never cease to be amazed at how many times I genuinely think I can't choose, only to have the coin toss show me that I have already made up my mind.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 02:06:47 AM »
Much as we want to, we can't help every cat in the world. What are the conditions in Chestnut Cat Sanctuary? Are they strictly no kill? If the conditions are good and they only pts suffering cats, at least you know that those two are in a safe situation, whereas the two your friend needs to rehome could end up at a rescue which has a pts policy and/or poor conditions.

The ones living close to you would adapt if kept in for a time, which you'd have to do with the Sanctuary cats anyway.

If you find it impossible to choose, try a trick of mine: toss a coin. If you want to do "best of three" then you know the coin didn't give you the answer your heart wanted to hear. On the other hand, if you're happy with the result of the toss, that was the answer you wanted.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 00:25:21 AM »
Its a very difficut decision and one only you can make, but you must feel comfortable with your choice and it were me I'd go with my heart.  Don't feel guilty about whichever pair you are unable to take; either way you will be helping two cats and that's what matters.  :hug: 

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 00:01:06 AM »
They are 7 and 5.  Now I have decisions to make.  If I don't take them they will end up in rescue, but if I do then I cannot help the two I fell in love with at Chestnut Cat Sanctuary last week.  Oh to have the financial resources to have a houseful, but I would end up a mad cat lady....just as well OH and my daughters all share my love of animals. Think with two parrots, two rabbits, and tropical fish, that four kitties would be pushing my luck!

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »
You could always try buttering their paws  :innocent:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 01:41:57 AM »
You don't mention how old the cats are. The older they are, the longer they need to be kept in imho. For an adult cat (over 6mths -ish) I think 6 weeks would be fine. If they are over 2yrs, I'd be tempted to keep them in for 2mths or more.

My theory is: the older the cat, the more bonded to its territory he/she will be.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:53:23 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 17:34:00 PM »
I think it does mean a few weeks, 6 weeks should do it  ;D

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 15:45:29 PM »
Yes I would agree too.  Once they've got used to their new home they should be fine.  I know you hear stories of cats going back to their old homes but I think they're very much a minority.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
How far is too close to rehome?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 13:55:01 PM »
I would agree with skiddaw... I think that's fine if they are kept inside for a while :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 13:46:23 PM »
I think it'll be fine as long as you keep them indoors for a few weeks to reorintate.

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
How far is too close to rehome?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »
A friend of a friend needs to rehome her two kitties and I have been asked if I am interested.  They are currently about 2-3 miles away, but there is a major roundabout and roads between us and them.  I would obviously keep them in for a while to get their bearings on this area, but was just wondering if we are too close. What does anybody think?

Link to CatChat