Author Topic: Another feral trying to move in!  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Another feral trying to move in!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 21:07:52 PM »
I'll only tolerate him sleeping in the house until the weather improves. After that, he's out!

I can't afford seven cats. I can't afford seven...... :rules:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 19:22:01 PM »
Seven Heaven  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 19:17:20 PM »
awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 04:08:30 AM »
I've just been downstairs to make a cup of tea after sitting late in my bedroom, reading. Some of my cats followed me and went to "graze" on some food I put out for them earlier: they never eat it all in one sitting. After making the tea, I was walking back through the lounge when I heard a strange cat noise, not like one of mine would make, it was halfway between a growl and a meow.

The black and white cat, who seems to have stopped sneezing, was snuggled in the corner of my lounge, looking comfy and loathe to move. I felt rotten, but shooed him out. He looked very much at home.  I was amazed that he hadn't eaten all the cat food, but it had hardly been touched. He knows I'm weakening.

Blast! I was afraid that this would happen. I must keep telling myself: I can't afford seven cats. I can't afford seven cats....I can't afford....seven cats  :stop:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:13:12 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 00:13:45 AM »
The only local shelter which I trust is WellCat, which is always full. I had Polly and Samantha (bridge babies) from WellCat and I know they don't pts FIV cats. My local CP does and seems less than caring towards animals. I know this isn't the case for all branches. And the cat would be safer taking his chances as a feral than going to the RSPCA.

I've noticed two large tabbies sleeping in my verandah, they're very similar to each other (related?) but not at all like the black and white who has been coming into the house. They are most definitely ferals grabbing some warmth from the bedding I've put out there.

I'm sure word goes round the feral population to "try your luck at that house". A friend of mine pointed out that my name - Catherine - is an anagram of Cat In Here. I think there may be a sign pointing to my house which only cats can see.  :evillaugh:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Could you try to get him on a waiting list at a shelter? You could also ask them about the possibility of food. I feed a stray and when I contacted CHAT about him they did offer to supply the food. I didn't take them up on the offer, wish I had now as I've been feeding him for months.   

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 01:52:02 AM »
Are the batteries easy to change?

I'm sold on the idea of a microchip catflap and will get one.

As for TNR, I think this could turn into a major problem as the vet would want to treat the sneezing, which will cost a fortune (in the £hundreds). I imagine the vet would want to do FLV tests - they're good, but expensive, vets, so will probably opt for the virus growth test which will cost lots. If it's just a case of abs, it'll have to be that long-acting injection in order to avoid me having to keep the cat in and put abs in food (I did that with Lucy and her sons when they had 'flu which was one reason I bonded with them too much to rehome). I can't afford another cat.

I feel very sorry for the poor pusscat, and 'he's' making a determined attempt to move in, but I have to be sensible, otherwise I'll become one of those women you read about in the paper: with a hundred half-starved cats I can't afford to care for properly. I've drawn the line at six. Sorry if this seems harsh.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »
If you check the website all the dimensions are given on there...

http://www.sureflap.co.uk/

I chose this one because its battery operated, meaning you don't need a mains power supply close by or worry about power cuts. Each set of batteries lasts me around 6 months, and a warning light comes on when they are running low so you get plenty of notice.

Mine slotted into the hole left by the old catmate. If you have a philips screwdriver you should be able to fit it easily yourself. I found the people at Sureflap really helpful (and they also supported our auction this year too!)  ;D so don't hesitate to call them if you have questions.

As for trapping your feral for TNR (a brilliant plan by the way), can you do it over half term so your teacher friend can help out with transport?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:16:37 AM »
Are they easy to fit? Will they go into the hole left by my current catflap? (The current one is a Staywell.) You've sold the idea to me. I'm hopeless at DIY and without an OH, so I phoned a male friend of mine and asked if he would fit the flap if I ordered one. Unfortunately, he had a heart op a few months ago - the same type that Tony Blair had - and has been feeling rough ever since, even though his girlfriend has told me that he seems a lot better. I asked him if he just didn't want to fit the catflap, which I'd understand, but he said that he'd do it if he felt better.

So is it easy enough for someone incompetent at DIY (me)  to fit? I'd have to remove the old one as well.

Otherwise, I could either pay someone to fit it, or think of an ex-boyfriend who might do it for me.

I had a phone call from the woman up the road re the feral cat. I'd thought he was one she called Sox and had asked her if Sox had white markings under his nose, which my visitor has. During sunday's phone call she informed me that she'd seen my intruder and Sox together, so my visitor isn't Sox, a long-time feral of the area. We think this cat is feral; there are a number of them in my area; but I've a feeling he's a more recent recruit to the feral population because he doesn't have the same degree of fear as the long-term ferals. I haven't been able to have a close look at the cat, but I'm hoping that it isn't a pregnant female. Sox, on the other hand, is an unneutered male.

All the advice is much appreciated.  :thanks:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 20:26:51 PM »
HK, I have had 10 microchipped cats, all chipped at different times by different companies over the last 13 years, through our sureflap. All worked perfectly. Don't believe everything you read.  :-:

Honestly, and I think a few folk on here will agree, once you have the security of a microchip catflap you won't ever want to change. My boys are no longer phobic, I've saved a fortune in cleaning materials and cat food, not to mention sleepless nights wondering who is fighting downstairs now. Worth considering and a shame to dismiss on the basis of reviews that may well have been written before the newer versions came out.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 19:16:06 PM »
I've already checked CatChat's map of rescues in my area (west mids) but there are only the ones I've mentioned. In the end, I had to open the catflap because Pebbles kept peeing on the carpet - he hates litter trays! Then the weather turned really bad. Today the feral has been in and chased out once, after which I decided that, if he comes in again, I'll ignore him, let him stay out of the snow but draw the line at feeding him because I don't want to give him the idea that he can stay forever. When the weather gets better he'll be chased out again.

Getting a neutering voucher for TNR might not be too much of a problem (I think) but getting him trapped (I do have a trap) and taken to the vet etc could be a problem because I can't drive and the woman who helps me is swamped at work (she's a teacher). I could take him in a taxi if I could trap him at exactly the right time. Then the treatment for his sneezes will cost a fortune (my local vet is expensive, the PDSA is further away). Also, keeping him in after the neutering is something I don't want to get into. I know I'd end up keeping him! I can't afford seven cats.

Mine are microchipped, sheilarose, and I've considered that kind of flap before, but read many bad reviews of them on Amazon, for example, saying they only work with certain makes of chip.

Sorry to be so negative. The weather is getting me down a bit.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 19:33:47 PM »
My solution to this was a microchip catflap, HK.

So long as all yours are chipped they can get in but no-one else.

This is the one I have http://www.sureflap.co.uk/

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 22:41:03 PM »
Have you got a laser pen to try and keep your bunch entertained? I guess the problem is that you can't/shouldn't have to keep them in long term so trying to get help for Mr feral is probably the way forward for a variety of reasons  :hug: I know you have said you don't trust a few rescues local to you with regards FIV but are there any on the CatChat list that are local that might be able to assist in any way, at the very least with a neutering voucher? http://www.catchat.org/adoption/mids.html

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 20:01:08 PM »
Does anyone have any advice concerning how to deal with six stir-crazy cats? They're used to going out and chasing each other around the gardens and are driving me mad with their frustrated fighting and generally being little nuisances. I've had to lock the catflap to keep the feral out. Mine hate being shut in.
 :help: :givein:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 16:50:00 PM »
I've had contact with South B'ham CP in the past when trying to get neutering vouchers - they failed to send them, so Ela, from Purrs, helped me - I also discovered, while doing rescues, that they pts FIV+ cats, so I'm pretty sure that they'd do this to FLV+ ones. Mine are all vaccinated against FLV. Because of this pts policy, which I know doesn't apply to all CP branches, I trust them as little as the RSPCA.

The cat in question is an experienced feral, healthy in all other ways. He doesn't look scrawny or tatty, in fact he looks positively healthy. He just needed somewhere to get through the winter.

I qualify for free treatment from the PDSA but don't want to take him into my house to adminster the abs because I know that I'll end up keeping him. Six cats is all I can cope with. The house would become overcrowded with more, and I'm on benefit so can barely afford to buy decent amounts of food for the ones I have.

The igloo has been used, but not as intended. He's been doing what my cats do with it: sleeping on top of it rather than inside.  :hug:  I've a suspicion that two ferals, the one in question and a friend, have been snuggled on it.
I thought: my cats have plenty of places around the house to sleep, especially my warm bedroom, so they can make the sacrifice of the igloo. The prefer cardboard boxes anyway; but I must stop giving them my jumpers....I'm running out of woolly jumpers!  :-:

Thanks for the welcome back. It sometimes upsets me when I read about all the pusscats in bad circumstances on Purrs, which is why I often keep away. I'm sure you understand.  :(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 21:46:45 PM »
Lovely to see you back ;D

Hmmm quite difficult :hug:

Archie and Parki had a sniffly thing a few weeks ago and abs cleared it. Would it be any good testing the water with cp :hug:

That was really nice of you to put the igloo bed out
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 21:47:53 PM by alisonandarchie »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 21:04:07 PM »
I contacted the woman up the road. She said that she hadn't seen this particular cat for a while. We discussed the problem, but she said that the rabbit hutch was always there and he was welcome to use it. When I asked if she could put some bedding in it she said that she couldn't be bothered with changing mouldy bedding! Nothing I said persuaded her.

She pointed out that I have a small verandah at the back of my house. It's open on one side, but has a covered roof and three sides, two of which are attached to my house. She suggested that I put a cardboard box in there for him.
I couldn't find a suitable cardboard box; all the ones I have are too small; so I gave him my cats' igloo-bed, one of the foam sort with a faux fur lining. My cats weren't too pleased when they saw me putting it in the verandah!
I've locked the catflap, given my lot a litter tray and hoping that the weather warms up soon.

As soon as the igloo went out, another feral came to investigate, one who's a friend of the cat who was coming into my house, so I'm hoping that the two of them have been snuggled in there. Both cats are in good condition as there are a lot of feral cat feeders in the area.

The main rescues in my part of B'ham are WellCat, who are always full, and CP. I suspect that this cat's sneezing may be FLV-related snuffles. CP would pts, as they do with FIV cats in S. B'ham CP branch. And I wouldn't dream of calling the RSPCA  :P

I have done rescues in the past and discovered that I don't have the personality for it. I kept all of the last rescue, which is how I've now got six cats! The first rescue of eight was successfull in that I homed six, but kept two of them.  :Luv2:

My cats have only been in since last night. They're going stir-crazy. Any ideas for preventing them and me from climbing the walls? The only thing I can think of is to tire them with Da Bird!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 20:25:33 PM »
 :welcome: back Hippykitty

Did you manage to get hold of the lady you think is feeding him? If she would agree to setting up the shelter for him that would be a start, maybe if you offered to help with it?

How is your local rescue for help? I remember that you did a lot of trapping and neutering yourself a while back due to lack of help, are there any local rescues that might be able to help get him neutered and vet checked at th every least?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Another feral trying to move in!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 17:24:45 PM »
Hi,
It's a long time since I've visited Purrs. All six of my cats (Fred, Vic, Lucy and her three sons) are fine - touch wood - but word has got round the local ferals that this is a good place to try to get warmth etc.

During the past week, a cat who's been feral in my area for years has been trying to move into my house, probably because of the cold weather. I feel rotten at chasing him out, but I can't cope with any more cats and have to draw the line at six. He's sneezing a lot, which I think may be snuffles, rather than flu because he has no other flu symptoms. My other cats are disturbed by his presence. When I'm aware that he's in, I chase him through the cat flap.

I'm at a loss to know what to do about him. I can't take him in, it wouldn't be fair to my other cats and could be the thin end of the wedge. I have to stay at six cats, no more.
There is a woman up the road who is probably feeding him. I've tried to phone her, but she's at work. She has an unused rabbit hutch which she could easily turn into a shelter for him, with bedding and food. However, she can be moody and may refuse to do this.

He's unneutered, above five years old, and feral.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would be very grateful.

I'm thinking of locking the catflap and keeping mine in with a litter tray.

Thanks in advance.  :thanks:

Link to CatChat