Author Topic: vidalta and runny poo  (Read 4182 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: vidalta and runny poo
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 22:44:52 PM »
Runny stools can just be a symptom of hyper T and not always the medication.  Our long term hyper T cases often have loose stools during bad spells if their levels change.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 23:54:33 PM »
The vet said what we give him is of good quality. He also gets tuna, sardines and chicken at least once a week. Ive lifted the bowls off the floor and added a ball to the bowl so he has to eat around it, this has stopped him just throwing back food. This has worked loads. Ive also got cat milk for the days that he just doesnt wanna eat much. He is doing really well and is so calm and relaxed going and being at the vets. Before all this he hated thr carrier with a passion and stressed out over anything new. I am really proud of him. The people at the vets and the vet just love him because you can be quite hands on with him and he is not fussed i was told this was down to us being that way from kitten. The time and effort has really paid off. X

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 23:08:37 PM »
my Trigger had runny poo when he was HyperT - everything, including the digestion, speeds up

it might well resolve itself when his HyperT is under control - meanwhile, it would help to give him the best quality food you can afford, as he will be absorbing less nutrients at the moment
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 22:58:15 PM »
Try and see the good vet next time too if you can.

If he still has a runny tum then ask her if probiotics will help, I dont think they will affect any meds or his thyroid. There are some called protexin that are capsules and you pull the capsule apart and put half on his food and mix in, its smelless and tasteless and should help his tum.

Its only used once a day.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 21:49:45 PM »
We went the vet for his blood panel results etc. We eneded up with a different vet as our normal one was off sick and he has told us that all blood came back normal (in terms of liver, kidney etc) His T4 level are 426 (i think he said, roughly) So he is still high but it is coming down from the 500-ish that he was. So he has give us 20mg a day. Licky has put on 2lb in a week (looking handsome again :P )

I asked about the running poo and the previous vet had prescribed Kaogel at 1mg three times aday, but Licky was having none of it (he didnt like the syringe feed) and the chicken diet she suggested was a no go as Licky loves his food and he wasnt impressed and therefore wouldnt eat it. Having a cat underweight i felt i couldnt just stop giving him the food he loves for the sake of running poo (which wasnt stressing him)

This vet told us to stop the Kaogel unless him seen stressed out and had an upset tummy and to feed him normal. It was more important to treat the thyroid then the poo and tummy issue. I never asked the previous vet to treat the poo and tummy problem but for suggestion to help him if needed. So feel like i have done a full circle here, but saying that i am glad i just give up on the treatments for it and continued on his thyroid tablets.

Licky is doing well, still vocal, loving his daily morning and evening attention sessions, eating about 4 sachets a day and the iam senior dry food that he nibbles on throughout the day is his favourite dry food ever, I caught him in the cat cupboard eating out the bag the other day (cheeky butter)

Next appointment is 14th Feb (3 weeks) for weight and blood levels again. I feel positive about this next visit. Fingers Crossed. :)

Thanks everyone for the support and advice. Its made a really difference.  :thanks:

P.s his christmas present of a water fountain has been amazing. His coat is always silky and shiny. He loves it loads. Best buy ever.   :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 15:40:28 PM »
I have 2 cats Max on 20mg of Vitalda and Clio feral on 10mg of Vitalda and both had runny poo at the start but are now fine, Max has had his thyroid removed but there is still some left hence his dose but he has been on Vitalda for the last 3 years and Clio was diagnosed in December 2012 and just had her results back fromthe second test and she is doing really well and her results were wonderful my vets words

I feed my 2 an extra sachet each of RC food a day as a treat and it seems to keep them fine along with the normal food them and all the others eat, as they need more calories in the beginning just to keep hunger pangs at bay, Max is 5kgs as is Clio feral and are both star Hyper T kids at our vets
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 15:36:06 PM »
Another thing to consider is that while runny he is not keeping the meds or possibly enough food in him and think you should ring the vet for advise as so hard to get cats tummys back to normal sometimes and if he gets really bad just stop the tab until you can get to the vet.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 00:11:05 AM »
 Well we only have til monday to see her again for a check up so if he gets worse i will bring the appointment forward. I got some different dry food which is down all day, its the senior one by iams and he loves it more than his wet food. Ive give him half wet and half of that dry for tea and hasnt complaint whereas before he would eat and then sulk off to his bed for an hour. Maybe the increase of dry food will help him bulk up his poo for him. He had a watwr fountain which he always drinks from and has silky shiny fur but i will monitor him over next few days. I am hoping its just his body getting use to the new drug in his bod. Just want him to gain some weight in his face and bum.

I know he is welk because i woke up with him asleep on my back with his head down on my shoulder. Xxx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 21:54:29 PM »
I've been a bit conditioned myself from joining the mainly American Yahoo group for owners of HyperT cats,  as the people on there are very anti Vidalta, and also think British vets prescribe too high a dose from the beginning, which can overwhelm the system

starting low and increasing if necessary does make sense, and that is easier with Felimazole than Vidalta, because it comes in smaller tablets, and is given twice a day

I think you need to discuss it with your vet, but it helps if you have a little knowledge - I persuaded my vet to halve the dose of Felimazole she initially prescribed, and my cat had no side effects at all
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 18:58:42 PM »
So is this a sogn that he cant tolarate the tablets or should i give it more time as he seems happy and well apart from his runny poos? Xxx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 18:17:27 PM »
there is an alternative drug for HyperT called Felimazole, which has to be given twice a day, but which is often tolerated better than Vidalta and which comes in small tablets

three days isn't long, but it's good to know there is an alternative
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 16:52:38 PM »
Definately ring the vet for advice and know others have had various problems with this drug  :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
vidalta and runny poo
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 16:47:19 PM »
I've been searching everywhere for an answers.

Licky my kitty has been on 15mg of vidalta for three days now and ive noticed he is having more than normal running poo. He is eating and drinking like normal and acting like the handsomr cuddle cat that he is. I wondered weather the vidalta could be upsetting his little tummy and if it was normal til his body gets use to it? I dont want him to be suffering if he is having a bad reaction.

I am considering ringing the vet for advice. He doesnt seem ill in any way apart from diarrhea.

Any advice would be great. Xxxx

Link to CatChat