Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 2072 times)

Offline littlekitty

• Adult Cat
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 16:33:16 PM »
she was  a rescue cat from a overcrowded house

This may be one of the reasons Mary isn't litter-trained. Did she come from a hoarder's house? (Where the people had lots of uncared for, unneutered, cats).  If so, they probably didn't take the time to teach her, or her mother cat didn't have a litter tray, or the space, to teach her kittens not to soil the nest.
This means that you're starting at the very beginning of her toilet training. You'd be better off having advice from Purrs peeps who are experienced with kittens and have watched the mother cat train them.

But mainly, you need to gently communicate that carpets are not for soiling. DON'T HIT HER OR FRIGHTEN HER. Try to do this with gentle encouragement to use the tray. Praise her in a soft voice when she does use it.
There are some cat-safe nasty-smelling sprays which you can buy. But check that these are safe for CATS. Things safe for babies and dogs aren't always safe for cats. Apply this to the areas you don't want her to use as a toilet. Other Purrs members may be able to give you the name of a product.

Be careful what you use to clean those areas where she makes mistakes. The best thing to use is biological washing powder. This will get rid of the smell and help to avoid her re-using that place.

Good luck.  ;D

Yes she came from a hoarders house and I was thinking that may of been the reason. I would never ever hit her, I love her to bits she's my world, and she does get praised. As my other cat sometimes wants out about 4am, I do let Mary out, briefly, to do what she has to do, but would be good to get her trained as well ready for our move.
Share your love, give a rescue cat a home.

xLYNNx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 20:34:32 PM »
she was  a rescue cat from a overcrowded house

This may be one of the reasons Mary isn't litter-trained. Did she come from a hoarder's house? (Where the people had lots of uncared for, unneutered, cats).  If so, they probably didn't take the time to teach her, or her mother cat didn't have a litter tray, or the space, to teach her kittens not to soil the nest.
This means that you're starting at the very beginning of her toilet training. You'd be better off having advice from Purrs peeps who are experienced with kittens and have watched the mother cat train them.

But mainly, you need to gently communicate that carpets are not for soiling. DON'T HIT HER OR FRIGHTEN HER. Try to do this with gentle encouragement to use the tray. Praise her in a soft voice when she does use it.
There are some cat-safe nasty-smelling sprays which you can buy. But check that these are safe for CATS. Things safe for babies and dogs aren't always safe for cats. Apply this to the areas you don't want her to use as a toilet. Other Purrs members may be able to give you the name of a product.

Be careful what you use to clean those areas where she makes mistakes. The best thing to use is biological washing powder. This will get rid of the smell and help to avoid her re-using that place.

Good luck.  ;D
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 21:35:57 PM »
Try another type of litter. There's a corn based one which all my lot like called Worlds Best. It has finer grains and feels nicer under paws than grit.

I did wonder, unless I missed this bit, but where does she pee?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 18:40:56 PM »
Does she poo just beside the tray? I've had cats who would hang their bums outside the tray and do their business on the floor; the cure for this was a bigger litter tray.

Another tip is to scratch at the litter with your index finger while the cat watches. This imitates a cat's normal "hole digging" and helps to communicate to the cat what the tray is for.

Have you tried various types of litter, such as the paper type? I think you can buy a fuller's earth type. Otherwise soil, as others have suggested, would be what they're used to.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline littlekitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 17:54:39 PM »
Thanks for the replys.

Have you tried moving the current litter trays, maybe have one as close as possible to the back door? Also how about trying a hooded one, or a non hooded one if you currently have hoods. You could also try 100% soil and if that works then step down to mixing it in like you've already tried. Good luck and hope you find something that works!
I use normal trays, don't think she would like the hooded ones as she is a bit nervous. I can't put litter trays in the kitchen as the dog sleeps in there.

Put the litter trays well away from their feeding area. Cats won't poo where they eat and vice versa. Also, ensure that the litter trays are clean. Most cats won't use a dirty tray.

I agree with CarolM's idea about putting a little poo in the litter tray to show her what the trays are for.
Trays are away from the food areas. We will try Carol's idea next time she does it, which isn't often.

xLYNNx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 17:33:03 PM »
Put the litter trays well away from their feeding area. Cats won't poo where they eat and vice versa. Also, ensure that the litter trays are clean. Most cats won't use a dirty tray.

I agree with CarolM's idea about putting a little poo in the litter tray to show her what the trays are for.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 16:59:35 PM »
If she poos on the floor again, put it into the litter tray and make sure she sees it.  This is what we do with kittens who aren't litter trained so its worth a try, although she will be more set in her ways.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Advice needed please
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 15:41:40 PM »
Have you tried moving the current litter trays, maybe have one as close as possible to the back door? Also how about trying a hooded one, or a non hooded one if you currently have hoods. You could also try 100% soil and if that works then step down to mixing it in like you've already tried. Good luck and hope you find something that works!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 14:19:34 PM »
Some cats never learned to use trays and as she hasnt been using one for years it sounds like she wont use one.

Afraid I cant think of anything else to suggest.

Offline littlekitty

• Adult Cat
Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »
We got Mary 5 years ago, she was  a rescue cat from a overcrowded house. Recently we have been locking the catflap at night (11pm) and keeping both cats inside, after having access to the catflap 24/7 for years. I have 3 litter trays, 1 upstairs and 2 in the hallway downstairs. She will not use a litter tray, she poo on the carpet last night. This is not a regular thing as she only does this very occasionally and is usually very good ( I get up early enough to let her out). My other cat will howl to go out( although he knows how to use a tray), but she doesn't mioaw or let us know she wants out. I don't think she knows how to use a tray.
We are planning a move soon so as she will be staying in for a while she will need to learn to  use a tray.
I have used normal clay litter and the stuff that looks like crystals, even tried mixing dirt form outside in with the litter but she just not interested.
Any advice would be great.

xLYNNx

Link to CatChat