Author Topic: My poor little boy...fur missing around one es  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Muffin and Rolo
Re: My poor little boy...fur missing around one es
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the info.

I'm doing ok thankyou. Muffins finished his meds and he seems to have stopped scratching so much. The fur seems to be growing back behind the ear I think, so I'll keep an eye on it. Strange as he wasn't scratching there at all in the first place I don't think...only really on his scent glands.
Still drinking a lot though.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 18:58:21 PM »

How's Muffin today Blackrose, and are you feeling any brighter?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
can't advise on skin condition, but if he is HyperT getting it under control might well improve the  heart murmur

and my Trigger, who has had six blood tests over the past year because he was HyperT, hated being shaved - it was the sound of the  buzzer which frightened him, so the vet clipped him with scissors instead and he was fine with that
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 00:05:26 AM »
Before any fur loss I noticed first that he had some red spots, like sore spots here he'd been scratching, on his scent gland on his face. I'm assuming that's the scent gland? The bit that normally goes thin and balds either side their face just above their eyes and directly below their ear?
The I noticed the balding behind the ear but dunno how long it had been there.
When I showed the vet the scent glands she didn't seem concerned and just ssid to treat the tiny scabby bit just outside the ear. Thing is I can hardly see that.
When he scratches he is leaving little red sore marks on his scent glands mostly and now on the other scent gland too on the other side. He is scratching both ears a lot. I will give the vet a ring tomorrow.
Maybe she will say to treat those areas too, but being scent glands, I'm nit sure it will be harmful.

One thing with muffin though is when he scratches his ears the red sore spots come up and then sometimes seem to go just as quick. Theure not rashes I dnt think...actual sore dots where he has scratched with his claws and seem a bit wet or like as if they would be bloody cos they're sore. I dont think its that sore though cos as soon as that happens he is immediantly jumping around after his toys.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:16:24 AM by Blackroseuk »

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 21:43:11 PM »
Im not sure how my vets handle cats when doing blood tests.
I am very scared as he seems to be going out in the hall to drink loads every few minutes sometimes. I don't think he's urinating more, but not sure if it's less either. Even tho they are on purina one, low calorie all dry food and woud drink more he shouldn't be drinking that much, especially in this cold weather.
he was diagnosed a year or two ago with a heart murmur..grade two I think it was..but hadn't recieved Amy treatment for it.
He just played a while with me and his sister but seems bored again now.
Would cats drink out of boredom?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 20:52:43 PM »
Eventually probably but they can live very long lives on medication.  7yrs old though is quite young for this.

Cats often become quite clingy and just love being cuddled, they dont have to be ill.

The shaving area for a blood test us usually the side of the neck and it doesnt usually take that long.

I was amazed that Napoleon allowed a blood test or two but he seemed quite unpreturbed and often it is down not only to the cat but how they are handled.....I know my vets are very good, for example they would never scruff a cat which scares the cat and can be painful for them.

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 19:31:22 PM »
Thank you. Is it a terminal thing, hyperthyroidism?  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 19:12:29 PM »
am hoping all goes well with his treatment, Blackrose.  The other symptoms you describe (or alterations in behaviour) sound similar to when Paddy developed hyperthyroidism.  it's possible to have bloods taken without anaesthetic but a small area will normally need to be shaved.  It shouldn't be too stressful for him. but worth checking, as in a relatively young cat he would need meds to control the condition.

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 18:32:16 PM »
I really hope he doesn't need any tests, as Rolo had to have a blood test done a while ago. She was taken behind for about twenty minutes and came back all shaved on her chest :( she was so scared and miserable.

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 18:30:47 PM »
Thanks. I have worried that the last few weeks he's been sitting on me everyday at he same time like clockwork and then every chance he gets after that. Feel so bad placing him back down when I need to get up, especially if it is cos he needs comforting or something like that.
He never used to be a very cuddly cat, unlike his sister, but would sit on my husbands lap now and then. He still does, but prefers me overall. I dont mind, cos I really like it and his sister hasn't been sitting or napping on my stomach since she found the bearded dragon tank to lie on too of again, but I just hope its not cos he's feeling bad or anything.

I forgot to mention he does sneeze now and then but then, his sister used to too.
No mucus or soreness from what I can see and tbh with depression I don't get round to dusting or vscumning nearly as much as i should.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 14:25:55 PM »
You need to discuss the issues in your second paragraph with your vet although he seems a bit young to have those issues but sure the vet will be happy to take more money for tests!

I think you should keep trying to put the stuff on where you think it should go and if you miss the time just put it on when you can and then leave the appropriate time before the next session. Dont put it on too close together.

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »
Ok, second day of treatment but yesterday I coukdnt even see the scabby bit the vet showed me anymore. So I put it where I thought, in the same area she showed me. He probably got just one dose, if that, on him so far which was yesterday morning. Last nights just when on his fur and not his skin with him scratching it off, and this mornings..I don't even know where it went.
He womt allow me, even with being held, to do it properly.
Also, I been wondering this for a while now, but especially latley and since being on this steroid liquid thing, he seems to have increased thirst.

So I'm wondering about kidney stuff, hyperthyroidism, cushings disease etc.
He has an insatiable appetite but then so does his sister, and theyre both indoor sp might be due to boredom.
He doesn't seem lethargic and runs and jumps when playing. He plays fetch etc. He is sleeping and sitting on me more these past few weeks, but then his sister is sleeping more too so I think it's the weather.
Only a tiny bit if weight loss since hs last vet visit and that was a while ago, but the vet says he's healthy and a good weight. She said that lsst time though too and he shouldn't really have lost weight since I don't think.

U think I should carry on trying my best with this stuff to complete the course and then maybe have a blood test done?

Is it ok if the steroid stuff isn't exactly twelve hours apart? I wasn't home in time today to do it the normal time.

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 21:39:22 PM »
Thankyou. I hope it work a too, especially as he's a very sensitive kitty. But can't see any real side effects from it. Jist gotta hope he or Rolo doesn't lick it.

Yeah, I'll get a follow up consultation fee too now if he has to go back. Not that money matters to me when it comes to what they need and all, but I had to lend the many off my dad for today and altogether it came to £53 or £57 can't remember.

Just two cotton buds, one swab for each ear, which I wasn't happy with, came to £15 something.
Then the liquid stuff came to £12 which I expected and then of course the usual £30 odd for consultation.

Anyone used this liquid stuff?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 21:26:32 PM »
They can test for bloomin ringworm by shining an ultra violet light on the area! He could have done this while you were there grrrrrrrrr

Hope the liquid stuff helps  :hug: :hug:

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 20:26:27 PM »
The vet took swabs and gave some ear drops/skin liquid stuff. I got to put it on the scabby part just under the ear twice a day for five days, and to keep an eye on the balding bit at the back of the ear.
The stuffs called Surolan. It's also for skin irritation and bacterial/fungal stuff.
The vet phoned back to say there's no signs of mites. If it worsens, stays the same or the balding worsens then they will test after five days for ringworm by testing the hair folicals or something...cant remember how she said it.
So, dunno what it is exactly yet,,,although she did say something about it might be my other cat hd scratched him and it's now irritated.

He is fine though.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »

Keeping fingers crossed for the vet visit today, Blackrose.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 20:22:04 PM »
Hope vet visit goes well tomorrow...........dont think its ear mites tbh but if it is then using stronghold will get rid of them  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 17:23:03 PM »

He should be fine until tomorrow Blackrose.   :hug:  Usually ear mites will infect both ears, although to a greater or lesser degree, but they can live on other parts of the body such as the base of the tail.  Often though, where mites are concerned, they would spread in a multi-cat household, so as Rolo's not showing any signs, it could be fungal or dermatological.

Let us know how you get on, and sending an extra cuddle for Muffin.  :hug:

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 14:58:29 PM »
Thankyou

Would ear mites be in/around just one ear though?

I am going to try and take him tomorrow (have to get lift) but if not it would be Monday or Tuesday. Will he be ok till then, if he's eating, playing etc?
I am just worried any irritation from sore spots there might get infected or something, or if it's to do with another health issue that he would go downhill quick.

Just sorted it...he's going tomorrow. Gonna ring now to see if I can get an appointment. Still really worried though if he will be ok till then. I know cats go downhill pretty quickly. :s
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 15:28:41 PM by Blackroseuk »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:29:53 PM »

So sorry Blackrose - didn't realise you were under the weather yourself - sending a hug for you too.   :hug:

When we got Ross as a kitten, he came with an infestation of ear mites, and was very perky, but he did a lot of scratching and his little ears were mucky inside.  He looked like a little Gizmo (The Gremlins?) when he had to have his ear drops put in, but it was only for a short period, thank goodness.

Trouble with mites is they aren't always visible to the naked eye - a lot depends on the type of mite.   It could also be a fungal infection or an auto-immune problem, which is why it's better to get a professional diagnosis.   :hug:   Increased yowling can sometimes be a sign of hyperthyroidism too, so always worth a mention to your vet when you go.

It's very good that he's still playful and cheekyl.   ;D

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
Thankyou all. He will be going to the vet. I domt know why if it might be mites that it wouldn't effect both ears though and why he's not itching it...someome told me mites don't always have to cause itching but I can't see that?
It's good he's fine in himself and being his usual playful, cheeky, cuddly self.

Just wanted a heads up while I get myself better and make an apt soon for him as I am a huge worrier when it comes to my babies.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:09 AM »

I'd definitely say it's better to get a vet to take a look - these kinds of problems seldom clear up if left - if anything they tend to get steadily worse, and by that time it can be harder (and more expensive) to treat.  Never easy to "second guess" something ike this as it could be mites, or an allergy or something entirely different. 

Hope Muffin can get this treated and get back to being himself as soon as possible.  Sending a gentle chin rub for him (and for Rolo too - dont want her feeling left out!)  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 01:29:26 AM »
You really need to get him to a good vet.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 19:10:12 PM »
My first thought was harvest mites - they gather round the ears and are red so might account for the red specks, but I would also have thought it would be the wrong time of year for those and not sure how they'd get to indoor cats.  Vet will be able to tell easily enough though.  Hope whatever it is turns out to be easily treatable x
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 19:11:18 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 19:08:27 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Sorry can't offer any advice other than to take him for a vet visit in the first instance.  I did a quick search and it seems there are lots of things that can cause hair loss :  http://cats.lovetoknow.com/Cat_Hair_Loss_on_Ears
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 19:06:22 PM »
you should probably get a vet to have a look

Offline Blackroseuk

• Adult Cat
My poor little boy...fur missing around one es
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 18:51:31 PM »
I have two cats, male called Muffin and his sister Rolo who are both around 7years of age or near enough, and indoor only.

I noticed the last day or so Muffin has started to bald around his right ear. Don't know how long it's been like it and I dont see anything on the other ear or anywhere else. He doesn't seem to be scratching it or shaking his head from what I can tell and I dont see anything on Rolo. If it were mites or ringworm surely she would have it by now? I dont see any red rings from ringworm on him. It seems to be around the back of his eewr behung the rounded lobe bit in a kinda circle patch missing and goes round to the front just a bit to the normal balding bit if you know what I mean between the front of the ear above the eye.
The balding parts that arnt normal seem grey/White and pink but not dry I dont think snd doesn't look sore.Maybe a few tiny red specks there. Hes a silver tabby btw if that makes any difference, colour wise.
The normal balding area at the front seems to have gotten more red specks on it.
He also has had fir a while now a scabby red bit on his neck but nit anywhere near it...don't know if it's on same side as the ear thing...can't remember. Think that's from playing though.

He seems fine in himself, eating, playing, etc fine...but has started meowing for me again now when I go to bed. He's a very vocal cat anyway, often meowing for no reason or when playing.
Someone told me he doesn't have to itch fir it to be mites or ringworm. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms and I thought he probably wouldn't have feline leukiemia or anything cos he's indoor and although I dint think he's jabbed for it, or her, I don't think he's got it. My sisters cats probably been jabbed for it being outdoors.
Is there any chance I could've brought something in with me from outside where other cats have been or would they have to be in actual contact with the cats themselves to get anything?
I'm going to keep an eye on him and take him up after a few days or a week. Any ideas please?

Btw I dont think it's fleas cos I'm first to notice when there's fleas as they swarm to me and he isn't scratching it I dont think. Maybe some sort of skin condition or allergy?

Link to CatChat