Author Topic: Natural remedies/support for possible arthritis  (Read 1821 times)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
Re: Natural remedies/support for possible arthritis
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 13:33:46 PM »
Hi Lotzy,

One thing we have given our cat, as shes getting on a bit and was getting a bit 'creaky' is a self-heating mat for her bed?

Its a wooly 'pillowcase' type affair, with a reflective material layer inside it, kind of like that foil stuff they wrap athletes in, but not so crinkly LOL!

It does rustle a bit, so it might not be to your cats liking, but ours really loves it. Her bed is by the radiator, and when shes asleep on it her body heat 'reflects' back up at her and keeps her extra toasty, so her joints stay nice and warm. We noticed that the 'creaking' lessened quite a bit after she started using it.

I think the one we got was an Ancol one, and it was the small size I think.

Might not be as effective for more serious arthritis, but it certainly might help make things a bit more comfy?

H

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
Thanks for your replies, really appreciated.  I need to head around what to go for this morning, but will certainly try one as I guess they the more natural treatments can't do any harm (will try and doublecheck on this as well though just to be sure).  I know they take a few weeks to work if they're going to help, but it would be good to start something before the Loxicom finishes. I can then see what happens over the next of weeks and talk options through with the vet.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 18:23:12 PM »
There's a couple of recent threads that might have some useful info for you:

Arthritis/injury - management and pain relief http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,41919.msg753215.html#msg753215

Veterinary acupuncture http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,42463.msg754978.html#msg754978

Offline onyx

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Fonzie and Chloe, plus Amber and Izzie the doggies
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 17:40:15 PM »
you might want to try a joint supplements (MSM, Condrition, gloucosamine, or fish oils)  or alternative therapies such as massage or acupuncture?  my two are on riaflex and my girl gets quarterly massages from an animal masseuse. 

some places may even do hydro for cats... but that may be best left to bengals!!

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Like you say, if the problem re-occurs then an xray could well answer my questions if the vet isn't sure.  Had one done on my girl and it ruled out a number of issues and helped correct treatment

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 18:44:01 PM »
My boy James has slight arthritis in one of his legs as a result of an old injury.  One of my vets is a homeopath and she prescribed him two sets of drops for his drinking water, which he's been taking now for two months.  This appears to be working as previously he would often "worry" at the affected joint (as though it was uncomfortable) but now seems to do this a lot less.

I did have James's leg x-rayed while he was already under anaesthetic for a dental, so that the extent of the problem could be seen and as a reference point for any further deterioration.  If your boy still has a problem after coming off the Loxicom and you're not sure what's causing it, it might be worth forking out the cash for an x-ray to find out.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Natural remedies/support for possible arthritis
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 14:43:03 PM »
Not 100% sure my boy has arthritis, but I'd appreciate any advice on natural remedies/help I can give at home to try out for a while.

By way of background, he was thoroughly checked by the vet in the summer as he had clearly had some some of injury in his paw/leg/shoulder region. He was very unhappy growling and moaning constantly, he was given anti-inflammatories which solved the problem at the time.

However, over the last couple of months he keeps holding his pap on the same leg. Noticed he looked stiff on the leg when coming downstairs yesterday.  A different vet checked him out last week (not so thoroughly this time though). She couldn't find anything obviously wrong but it could be arthritis. She suggested trying Loxicom (which I understand is similar to Metacam) to see it helps and then review things when it's finished. I'd like to look into something more natural to try when he comes off the Loxicom and see how he is on that for a while. Obviously if he's still having problems then I'll get him checked out again.

Link to CatChat