Author Topic: stressing already  (Read 2161 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: stressing already
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:34:08 AM »
One of mine has always been a big drinker, he's been with me since kittenhood and now approaching 15 years he's never changed so some cats just do drink more than others, but you do right to keep an eye on her for now. She's lovely, I hope her stress levels are lower than yours  :hug: :hug:

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 20:27:18 PM »
Thanks carol,  she was spayed 9 days ago will keep an eye on her and mention it to the vets when we take her for her vaccinations x

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 18:52:50 PM »
In that case I wouldn't worry too much.  :hug:  It takes a while for the hormones to settle and to put back everything that feeding a litter has taken out of her, and presumably she has also recently been spayed.   I'm sure the drinking will settle to 'normal' levels very quickly.  Try to enjoy getting to know her.  :hug:

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 16:47:32 PM »
Her kittens had just been rehomed, she was a pregnant stray so not much is known about her history. Im going to keep an eye on her tonight and if still the same contact the rescue/vet tomorrow

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 16:10:03 PM »
I would speak to the rescue and find out what she ate and how much she drank and as much history as possible.

Two bowls sounds a lot but what size are the bowls?

Then next stop would be the vets.

Hope everything is OK with her  :hug: :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 15:40:38 PM »
I'm sure its nothing but can understand your concern.  :hug:  :hug:

Do you know Bella's history? She looks like a youngster so I'm assuming she hasn't recently weaned a litter of kittens which is one situation in which cats drink a lot.  Is dry food new to her?  Kittens in particular seem to drink a lot when first put on dry.  Its certainly worth trying to find out whether she drunk a lot when she was in rescue and if they have any idea why she should be so thirsty.  Of course it could just be the stress and excitement of the move and will probably settle in a day or two but if it continues and the rescue can't help then I'd mention it to the vet.  :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 14:44:08 PM »
Oh dear. I can understand why your stressed but I think you are right - it might be the dry food and some cats just like to drink.
 :hug: :hug:
Best you can do at the moment is keep an eye on her today and if nothing changes call the vet first thing.

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
stressing already
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 13:06:06 PM »
The beautiful Bella has already drank two bowls full of water, im sure this is normal but after reading up on kidney problems because of barney im stressing already, she had a pouch of food last night and some dry food this morning. shes drank more today and the logical part of me knows thats just because of the dry food, but the illogical part of me is flapping already. 

Link to CatChat