Author Topic: My best friend  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: My best friend
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »
I'm so sorry for the loss of your gorgeous boy  :hug:  :hug:

God Bless Pumpkin xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 16:22:13 PM »
Pumpkin was a very handsome boy and so lucky to have you, you did everything you could for him and guilt is part of the greiving process.

Try not to beat yourself up but its such a hard thing to lose such a special friend so suddenly  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Pumkin so much loved and you have left a purr in your meowmys heart

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 15:30:57 PM »
So very sorry for your sad loss Hun - thinking of you  :hug:

I lost my baby Teeko in Sep and he was only 4 - like you, I was in shock and couldnt believe what had happened as it was so sudden

RIP sweet Pumpkin - play hard at the Bridge until your Mummy comes to collect you.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »
So sorry to hear about Pumpkin. I am sure you would have noticed if anything had been wrong sooner by the way you describe your relationship with him, sadly sometimes we get no/little warning  :hug: :hug: :hug: He was one of the lucky ones to have been in a wonderful home with someone who cared so much about him.

RIP Pumpkin

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »
So sorry to hear about Pumpkin and such a shock when it's so sudden  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Glad he was so loved and my, what a handsome boy he was , utterly gorgeous . ( Persians are my weakness !)

Beautiful tribute for him . :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 00:49:41 AM »
so very sorry for your loss  :'( :'(

Such a beautiful, handsome boy xx goodnight, god bless xx
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 22:57:04 PM »
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Sometimes we just get know warning that our friends are about to be called. You did your best from love of Pumpkin but we can never change fate. It was nobody's fault tigertail - it was just his time.
Your heart doesn't have a hole in it at all because now Pumpkin is safe in there treasured forever. It just grows bigger to take each little one in and there is always space in there to fill with the love of a life shared.
Play well at the bridge Pumpkin and dance upon the stars beautiful boy x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 21:59:30 PM »
So sorry you've lost pumpkin. It's totally natural to try to think what you could have done differently. I came home 6 years ago to find my cat dead. I still don't know why she died and I blamed myself and thought I should have known she was ill. My Mum was the same with their dog. I think it is a natural part of grieving. Cats are very good at hiding that they're ill or injured. It's a horrible time and no one can make it better it's such a shock and loss. Most people here have lost a cat and understand what you are going through.  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 21:49:29 PM »
:grouphug:

Not stupid at all, the grieving is completely normal  :hug: Although it doesn't feel like it ever could now, the pain does ease and eventually - bit by bit - the happy memories overide the sadness that he is no longer with you, I promise  :hug:

Remember Our Love

I was chosen that day
I'm learning to fly
the world took me away,
but please don't you cry

And I chose you today
to try and be strong
so please don't you cry
and don't say that I'm gone

When you're feeling alone
just remember our love,
I'm up near the stars
looking down from above.

Remember our love
In a moment you'll see
that I'm still here beside you
when you're thinking of me.

Offline tigertail

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 20:53:47 PM »
http://s281.beta.photobucket.com/user/tigertail49/media/phone019_zps594bc2ba.mp4.html

I am so please to be able to add this link to a little video of him.  Such a gorgeous boy and I think so special.  I want to thank everyone for replying and being so kind, especially if you have had a loss too.   It really is comforting to get replies.   I hope the way I feel is normal grieving.  I am in so much shock still, that it physically hurts.  In my household it is just me and the cats and I did not reallise quite how much I depended on them, especially Pumpkin, for my wellbeing because he was always right behind me.  I used to chatter away to him because it comforted him and of course, that kept me company.  I am sorry to be so stupid, but I feel so lonely now.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 21:28:30 PM by tigertail »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 18:25:27 PM »
So sorry to read this.  :'( He had the best home ever, a Mum who adored him and you are in no way to blame for this, Tigertail.  :hug:

I hope you find peace and comfort in these pages, as Stuart rightly says, in the sure knowledge that everyone posting one here knows precisely how you are feeling tonight  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Goodnight, God bless, Pumpkin. A pawprint on your Mummy's heart forever. RIP xx

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 17:14:04 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: Sorry for your loss. My 13 year old cat just died in its sleep on Christmas day 2001. There had been no prior problems.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 16:55:29 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Pumpkin, such a beautiful boy and obviously very much loved  :hug:

It's natural to think of the 'what ifs' but it sounds like this came on suddenly with no prior warning and that you did everything that a loving owner could do. Please don't say you failed him because you didn't  :hug: It's devstating to lose any beloved pet but it just seems so much crueler when there is no warning and they are taken so suddenly from us  :(

As Stuart says. so many of us know what you're going through and are here if you need us :grouphug:

RIP Pumpkin, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 15:25:35 PM »
Pumpkin was a lovely boy, and very lucky  to be so loved

I lost a much loved cat very suddenly when her lungs filled with fluid and she couldn't breathe - I never did find out the cause - when you share your life very closely with a cat you don't notice little changes which might indicate something is not quite right -  and sudden breathing problems is anyway one of those sudden onset things which happen, so please don't beat yourself up over it

you have written a really splendid tribute to your boy - may he shine on in your heart and bring happy memories of your time together  :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 15:23:38 PM »
awww Tigertail, I am so sorry for your loss  :(
I know that nothing I can say will give you any comfort, you are grieving your loss of Pumpkin  :hug:
We lost our Olivia very suddenly too without much warning, I think when they go like this, It hit's you very hard indeed  :'(

Please take solace that everyone on here know's what you are going through and understands what your feeling  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline tigertail

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »

Offline tigertail

• Adult Cat
My best friend
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
On friday night I got home at about 6.15pm.  I looked for Pumpkin because he is normally waiting for me, but I found him in the kitchen which I thought was odd and not really moving.  I fed Menu and put the oven on and then noticed he really wasn't moving about, not resting and I thought he looked skinny and distressed.  I picked him up and took him into the living room on the carpet and had a better look.  He really looked like he was panting and again like his body was sucked in.   He wasn't panting through his mouth, but his diaphram (if that is correct) was moving rapidly,   I immediately phoned the vet and taxi and rushed him there within about 10 minutes.  The vet took one look at him and said your cat is really ill, he could die.  I don't understand why I didn't look in his mouth and whether the stress of the car journey made him worse.   He was put on oxygen and given some medication.  I was told he probably could have died in the taxi and could not really make a journey to the all night vet.  I left him there because my vet wanted to treat him, but my lovely vet said he would take him to the all night vet if necessary as he could not stay up all night if needed.   I have been trying hard to think of anything that would indicate something wrong in the week but I cannot think of a thing.  But it was a busy week and I regret being really distracted.   I feel so guilty, because he relied on me.  I feel that I failed him.  I feel so guilty. The vet thinks possibly a massive asthma attack.   He has never had asthma.  I loved him and he was my best little furry friend.  We lost Mushroom a few months ago and he was really stressed  and searched for her for about a week, but he did show signs of stress after, but this was getting better.  I don't know if this contributed.  His heart was apparently fine and circulation.  I am in shock.  I want to turn back time.

Pumpkin was a very funny cat and I swear he used to wag his tail when he was happy. I am also convinced he used to try really hard to communicate with me, staring at me to get me to do something and putting his paw on me to indicate if he wanted something.   We had a very strong connection.  He was very attached to me and would follow me from room to room, being happy to be near. Although he had access to the garden etc, he only ever stayed close to the house and never wandered.   He would keep an eye on me and although I never let him out in the front, he would follow me to the front door if I put the rubbish out and peer anxiously round the door at me.  He also liked to make himself comfortable and would choose to lie on my handbags or rucksack if they were available. He also loved cardboard boxes and loved to curl up in them, or try really hard to squeeze in even if they were far too small.  He had the kindest, sweetest nature, not a cross bone in his body and so gentle and sensitive.   He had the largest, most ridiculous paws and I loved them. He was also eccentric in some ways, preferring dry food only and always had to have a full saucer of biscuits or he would worry and I had to make sure I kept an eye on this.  He would only eat out of flat saucers and didn't like bowls.   He was my first thought when I arrived home from work etc, where is he, how is he? How can I overcome the loss, I cannot imagine as I have a huge Pumpkin shaped hole in my life.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 14:25:40 PM by tigertail »

Link to CatChat