Author Topic: Maine Coon info  (Read 1903 times)

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
Re: Maine Coon info
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 09:34:23 AM »
Hi Siou2

He is gorgeous :)

He looks more like a coone to me. I have a wegie and their muzzles are more pointed. Merlin's muzzle is more 'boxy' which suggests Maine-coone to me. Coones ears are also bigger than wegie ears. Apart from that they are very similar in looks and personality. Although if you put the two together you can really see the difference. Both very people oriented a bit like dogs :) They do tend to have very good appetites because they have a lot more growing to do than other domestic cats. A male coone can get up to 10-11 kilos and it takes about 4 years for them to reach full size. Same with wegies but they are slightly smaller. Both breeds are quite vocal. My wegie chirrups and whoops and even sometimes sounds like she is barking! When she enters are room she always says hello. If I have been anywhere I get a right old telling off when I get in as well.  :rofl:

I hope this is useful to you.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 21:03:09 PM »
oh and food wise I don't feed dry apart from the kittens who get a little bit of dry [applaws kitten] and they will probably get that until they are one when they will get just the wet food that the adults have.    Most of their food comes from zooplus or other online German shops.     They get Bozita tins, Catz, Grau, Macs, Petnatur, Ropocat and Smila.     

Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 18:08:47 PM »
I've got 6 NFCs and soon to have a coonie  :evillaugh:       

They do have large hobbit furred paws and lynx tips.     NFCs don't have a break in the nose unlike other cats.      They do have a triangular shaped face.    Can't tell from the photo what his nose is like.      He might have NFC or Coonie in him either way he is gorgeous.

Does he have a fascination with water???     Thats a coonie/wegie thing and they also make odd noises.     The Coonie chirrups and the Wegie woos!      {At least mine do!}

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 18:09:24 PM by cazzer »
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 17:50:03 PM »
Have a look at the qualifying features for purebred NFCs.
http://www.nfcc.co.uk/breedstandard.html

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 16:34:27 PM »
He looks gorgeous. Have you sent a photo to the mainecoon society to see what they think :hug:

Cannot help with the diet but am sure someone can on Purrs :hug:

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Taz, Marvin, Monty, Merlin & DS RIP Tasha & Baldrick
Maine Coon info
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 22:34:36 PM »
Hi, i'm looking for some info on Maine Coon/Norwegian Forest cat.

It's because of Merlin, the kitten who decided to live with my hubby & me.  Im sure he's not a purebreed but he looks like some sort of crossbreed & he's certainly not like your ordinary moggie although I love those as well, I have 4 of them, lol.  He eats a huge amount although i've got him maine coon biscuits & they've helped a bit.  Massive snowshoe paws, tufty ears, a fantastic temperament & very smart.  Any tips gratefully received  :thanks:

Link to CatChat