Author Topic: My cats refuse to use cat bed  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: My cats refuse to use cat bed
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 17:02:22 PM »
no problems here

could be the easy access to the TV and the stove though
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 15:49:39 PM »
Anywhere but the cat bed - ours sleep in the dog's bed, on top of the dog's crate, on top of the radiator covers, on the floor and most usually in the CLEAN washing basket  :censored:  :Crazy:
Oh well as long as they are comfy!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 15:36:23 PM »
Parki has refused to use her cat bed this winter too :evillaugh: There is no way she is going in there :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 17:19:32 PM »
 :rofl:

Got to laugh because this is so familiar!  I have 2 cat beds - one cheapie Argus cat bed that was popular with Jaffa for a short while about 5 years ago and has never been used since, and a nice deep, expensive one that Mosi thought was the bees knees for a couple of weeks when I bought it.  It hasn't been used in 2 years  :innocent:

Don't worry - they won't let themselves be cold.  If they're cold they'll snuggle up together - in or out of the bed.

Offline MiddleEarthNet

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 16:20:05 PM »
Thanks everyone, at least I now know it isn't something wrong, it is just the two of them being little horrors  >:(.
And the utility can get cold over night but if they choose to stay cold then I guess it is their problem.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 15:14:19 PM »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 14:54:20 PM »
I have ummmmmmmm a number of beds! None used except one.

That one has been sitting in the bedroom unused for ummmmmmm years and suddenly Sasa has taken a liking to it.......... :Crazy:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 14:44:34 PM »
 :rofl:

Oh how familiar it sounds..

I bought a lovely, wicker bed (one of those ones with a hood, like a 1960's swinging chair) for The Munchkin and he didn't use it once. I ended up taking it to a local charity shop. Someone took it off my hands before I even had a chance to give it to the shop lady so hopefully it went to a good home, but I was gutted as I loved it and The Munchkin would have looked gorgeous in it.

They are contrary little souls, bless them  :Luv:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »
I don't buy cat beds anymore because I've never had a cat that's used one. When my old cat lived with my husband at his parents before we were married. They used to put her out in the conservatory at night and it was pretty cold I brought her a covered bed and we put it on the hot pipe. she slept in that every night. Every other cat bed I've brought has been given away. Now I just put a blanket in cardboard box. They are very awkward creatures.  You could try a hot water bottle or one of those heat pads it might tempt them. Then again you'll probably just be wasting  your money on something else for them to turn their noses up at.  :Crazy:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »
had to laugh at this - your cry of 'Why do they keep on doing it?' would apply to at least 50% of the posts on Purrs :evillaugh:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
My cats refuse to use cat bed
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:26:52 AM »
Carol has hit the nail on the head! :evillaugh: My two will sleep in a new bed immediately but the popularity doesn't tend to last long - its only when I contemplate getting rid of it that they'll suddenly start using it again!

Edit: that posted before I was finished... was going to say the same as Carol in that you've provided them with a comfortable option at night time so if they don't use it and choose to sleep somewhere uncomfortable I wouldn't worry about it :hug:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:29:41 AM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline MiddleEarthNet

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
If you still have the small bed it might be worth seeing if they will use that again but if they don't they don't.

I've still got the small beds, I can try putting those out again and see what happens.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »
They sleep on soft chairs around the house as well and they have never suddenly started to refuse to sleep on them.  What is going on with the bed?

They're cats  that's what is going on.  :rofl:  It's what cats do.  You spend a fortune on beds and they sleep in them once just to get some fur on them so you can't take them back and then they never go near them again until you decide to get rid (of the beds not the cats) when they become flavour of the month again.
Its baffling and its annoying but I don't think there is a single person on this forum who hasn't experienced something similar.  Try not to worry about it.  They have a comfortable bed available and if they don't use it its their choice.  If you still have the small bed it might be worth seeing if they will use that again but if they don't they don't.

Offline MiddleEarthNet

• Kitten
My cats refuse to use cat bed
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »
I have two cats from the same litter, both male.  They are about 3.5 years old.  For the most part they are very close, though they do have occasional fights they soon snuggle up together again.  I have tried giving them separate cat beds so each cat has some space but they both crammed into one little bed so instead I bought a large bed that both could fit into.  They started off loving it, now they both refuse to go anywhere near it, after only a few weeks.  And I mean if I try and place them in it, I get paws in all directions holding themselves away  :(.  Yesterday I bought a new cushion for it and this morning I can see fur on it so I know it got used.  But this refusal to go it, is the second time it has happened (the first one was a different bed ie a big box with padding) and I don't see this new cushion being any different.  They sleep on soft chairs around the house as well and they have never suddenly started to refuse to sleep on them.  What is going on with the bed?
I need to give them something because it is in the area they stay over night (it is a large utility with their litter tray, food and water).  I don't mind whether it is separate beds or one bed but I want them to be comfortable and happy.
Why do they keep on doing it?

On a side note, they are sleeping together next to me as I type this.

Link to CatChat