Author Topic: Maine Coon screaming fits...  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Maine Coon screaming fits...
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 19:47:03 PM »
Poor little Neko dislocating both, such a brave little soldier :care:  :hug:

Glad to hear Leo is doing well DM, that extra dose of TLC seem sto be doing the trick!  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 16:43:59 PM »
I do hope that Leos knee stays in  :hug: :hug:

I wonder if its because they are such big cats and Misa who is not a Maine Coon but is huge, far too huge....sigh..........jumps down even low heights with great caution
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 23:59:38 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Leo
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 17:29:43 PM »
Thanks everyone.. And hope everyone is having a lovely crimbo...
Leo has been spiritely yesterday and today... It hasn't popped out once and he has even wanted to play... I have obliged with caution but he doesn't seem as cautious.

I did think his knee popping out would be a daily occourance? Or is this too good to be true and he'll go down hill again.....

Interesting that its common in Maine Coons, poor Neko  8) my vet didnt say anything like that, just 'highly unlikely' until he examined Leo, Leo screaming in pain and attacking him!

Dont think they are that clued up on the breed to be honest as only 2 registered with them...

Anyway fingers crossed Leo continues to improve!

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 23:22:07 PM »
my Neko is a part  main coon rescue and has luxating patella (dislocating kneecaps) and hip displaysia. hes been managing really well on a 2kg dose of metacam , seraquin (glucosamine supplement) and regular physio to build his muscles, hes abit of an odd case as he has a curved spine and that contributes significantly to his problems- he was unable to bear any weight on his back legs even before dislocation but now can stand on his back and jump, the improvement is  unbelievable. My vet said the hip displaysia and luxating patella was relatively common in main coons. Neko slipped on a wet floor at easter and dislocated both either then or soon after while favouring one leg  :-[
i have also dislocated my own knee caps several times- requiring 6 weeks in plaster and 6 weeks in a leg brace on seperate occasions- it is  :censored: painful, mainly if you rip the muscle or tendons though (which ive done). mine is a spontaneous lateral dislocation and relocation- it pops out to the side and then back in.  surgery would be useless for my condition, physio and building up the right muscles to support the knee cap is the most beneficial. i also know from personal experience the difference glucosamine makes- im in pain if i miss it for  4/5 days.
pursonally i would not demand surgery yet, its a high risk option for something that will potentially be better in a week or so- ive had numerous dislocations where nothing has been damaged but ive been in a support bandage and rest for a few weeks, it really is very painful when it happens but afterwards just like a sprain and then nothing at all  :innocent:

Leo is very handsome  :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 13:56:36 PM »
Agree with others , not a pointless post and I went shopping to Tesco about the same time on Friday lol...........shelves were stacked and hardly any people and they even just opened a real till around 0400  ;D

I hope you can do what is best for Leo and you both have a lovely Christmas  ;D ;D

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
Thanks ladies.. Came back from tesco and went straight back to bed and somehow woke up with a cold that i never had before!!  That was the most pleasant tesco experience ever! So quiet and peaceful!

I do worry about Leo...He is my first and i did think only baby before falling pregnant through IVF
So absolutely everything to me  :Luv2:

Mum lives a good 40 mins away so what I think will do is leave as late as possible so i can stay until early evening.. Usually 4 hrs max he is on his own but im finding he is sleeping most of the time at the moment prehaps as he knows he can't jump and play, also maybe the metacam making him snooze more?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
Agree with Sheila, not pointless at all  :hug: You're obviously worried about Leo and if that means you've been woken up at the crack of dawn (or before!) and need to post about it then go ahead!  :hug:

Is your Mum local? Could you go round for the day and leave Leo at home? It would be a shame to miss out on the family thing at Xmas (or maybe not? don't know how you all get on!  :evillaugh: ) but I think taking Leo to such a stimulating environment, where he'll probably be excited and exploring new things / chasing the dog, is probably not a good idea if the aim is to minimise his movements to rest the joint  :shy:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »
DM, not pointless at all, when you need to chuck something down in print there are few friendlier places I know where it's OK to do so. Hope you can start to relax a little and get yourself some rest.  :hug: :hug:

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 05:31:26 AM »
Sorry guys.. Really pointless last post!

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 03:39:32 AM »
Woken up at ridiculous i clock as had a nightmare about the op. since being pregnant i find anxiety levels sky high. Supposed to be going to stay with mum for Christmas but my sis is bringing her dog so now i dont think its a good idea to put Leo through it as usually he can show him who's boss and chase him (Alfie is a huge dog too!)

Heard tesco opened at midnight.. Might take a trip there cos im not going to sleep now!

:shify:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 21:12:50 PM »
What a handsome chap  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 19:38:02 PM »
Looks like the trauma of the vet visit is pushed to the back of his mind as he kicks out the Zzzz'z  :naughty: :blow kiss:

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 19:15:37 PM »

Happy as Larry at the mo!  :Luv2:

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 19:07:43 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help

Merry Crimbo  :shy:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 19:17:41 PM by dangermouse77 »

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 19:03:44 PM »
Well vet said leve it a few weeks as it might get better by itself.. Didnt say anything about him resting it as much as poss.. I think i want to change vets you know... He said he has several cats and dogs that have this exact same thing and he can manipulate the knee in and out free of pain. What i think he failed to realise is Leo fell off a 4ft TV unit.. Even though i told Hom at the start, so chances are it is very sore for him.

I will call vet and insist he needs the op i think.. i know he is perfectly fine amd puring his big fluffy head off the majority of the time, is eating well and seems alright in himself 95% of the time but I cant stand to think he is in pain when it happens.

Im glad he is indoor cat so i can keep a close eye on him

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 15:55:50 PM »
aw poor Leo hoping he is feeling happier now x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 15:39:56 PM »
The problem usually comes when they've been rested for a couple of weeks and start to feel stronger, then it goes snap again and you're back to square one.

I have a cat who broke his cruciate ligament, it was a last ditch op to repair it (they use a piece of muscle ligament to replace the broken one, but there is only one of these available in each limb) and he was on enforced cage rest for 6 weeks. Although he's an ex-stray and a real bruiser, he got the hang of the cage quickly and actually seemed to realise it was for his own good, so Leo may not be quite the problem you anticipate.

I know of another cat whose knee joint needed to be re-sculpted as the ligament kept slipping out of it's groove and dislocating. The vet deepened the groove by chiselling it out and the cat was back to normal in no time.
If an operation will fix him then I'd say sooner rather than later, and now is a good time as you'll be home to care for him for a little while longer than normal.   :hug:

Offline TESS

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 15:31:00 PM »
So pleased to hear you have a proper diagnosis.

Metacam was given for pain relief which was quite effective.

My Vet did say that really the only option was surgery.

She was kept in for a couple of days post surgery and then had to have cage rest to keep the joint immobilised but she is fine now except her leg had to be shaved and the fur has not grown back yet.

She is insured and the surgery and all visits should be covered,

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 15:22:53 PM »
Hi again

Yes first visit the vet was a petite young lady vet.. Leo was obviously scared and was clinging to to the table and Leo is a very large Maine Coon Tom so she could hardly lift him which is probably why she was not able to fully examine both legs properly..
So she said to keep an eye on him and if he was still showing signs of pain then to bring him back..
He had 3 of these episodes yesterday and was just so frustrating to watch as i feel so helpless..

So i called them back this morning and took him straight in..

I think he is learning to put it back in the more it happens..

I have no problem with him having surgery if need be.. To be honest i am not too sure how he would be if i caged him up. I understand it is for his own good but he even hates closed doors anywhere and screams the place down until its open! i could take his cat tree away so he isn't tempted to jump up too high, but since he fell he hasn't been up there at all and qhen he gets in the sofa i can tell he is being cautious when he jumps..

He doesn't go out so no risk of him jumping high fences at all

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 14:49:09 PM »
I so agree with Sheila abut can inderstand that if it wasnt dislocated at the first visit then Leo would not have been in pain, as someone said the pain is there when it actually pops out.

Afraid I dont think anti-inflams will help much and think like Sheila.

I have to think he needs an urgent op and know when Ducha hurt his foot it was immediately xrayed to see what the problem was and he needed 6 weeks cage rest to help it to heel........it was called a dislocation but looked more like break to me on xrays.

If you know of a good vet around I would be temped to go for a second opinion because I think the poppin out will just continue until its helped.

I do hope Leo is OK over Christmas  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 14:11:53 PM »
Sorry to read this, DM. I may have missed it but have you sought a second opinion? Your vet seems to be trying to protect his pride instead of admitting he missed something earlier.

I've found this with a certain vet chain beginning with G before now, they string out numerous possible treatments and causes to milk the cash  >:( The minute you suggest getting a second opinion from another vet practice they miraculously diagnose correctly  :sneaky: and as MD says, it's a poor show from your vet when an on-line forum can diagnose a disorder without seeing the patient!

Sorry to add, though, if it is a recurring dislocation, the joint probably needs to be immobilised for a few weeks and the cat rested in a cage or similar to allow the ligaments to heal correctly, or further permanent damage may follow.

Good boy Leo for biting the vet, he must have hurt Leo to get that reaction and to pass it off as over dramatisation is appauling.  >:(

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 13:14:45 PM »
I did say to him today I had done some online research and i thought it to be dislocating... Apparently this was highly unlikely also!!

When Leo screamed in pain he gave it the medical term which he obviously didnt think i was familiar with! He seemed put out when i then said 'dislocating then?'

(Highly unlikely though!)

Quite pee'd off about Friday's visit...

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
Well done Purrs experts you managed to diagnose the problem without even being able to examine the cat. Not a good advert for vet though is it?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Maine Coon screaming fits...
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »
Glad you got to the bottom of it - I'd be miffed that it wasn't picked up at the first visit too, even if it was from your description alone. Hope thr anti-inflammatories do the trick for him :care: I think the vet is telling porkies when he says it's just 'uncomfortable' - as a child I dislocated my elbow a few times and it was full on agony - no wonder Leo bit him!

As the visit was for the same condition you'll only be charged one excess - id be tempted to leave the claim til you know what's happening as there might be a few more vet visits and its easier to claim in one hit.

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »
Just read it is painful.. so the vet was making out he was bit for nothing & Leo was over reacting!  >:(

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
Well went to vets today guys. I showed him video footage (as cruel as i felt filming it!) and the vet examined him & his knee popped out.
Why this wasnt picked up on friday when I went I dont know.. quite annoyed about that  :censored: If I had got the vet I did today I wouldn't of needed to go back a 2nd time.

Leo bit the vet & drew blood  :shocked: the vet was not immpressed - he has a very weighty bite and I could see it hurt.. but it must of hurt Leo for him to do that - the vet wwas trying to make out he was being dramatic & said it doesnt really hurt - just feels uncomfortable..

He has been given anti amflaitories & we'll see if it gets better on its own.. if not surgery is an option.

Does anyone know if I will get any money back from Axa? I paid £47 Friday & £58 today.. will they just see it as 2 x ots of excess?

Thanks guys

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 02:02:12 AM »
I think an xray is essential to either find the problem or eliminate it and as he is in so much pain, it needs to be done fast......I do hope you can get this tomorrow but you may also needs a large cage if he needs cage rest.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 22:17:48 PM »
The dislocation theory sounds very likely from how you describe the intermittent-ness of it. I know it sounds mean but could you video him on your ophone when he's having an episode so you can show the vet?

If the vet thinks that an X-ray is necessary I can't see any reason why they wouldn't do it out of hours, in saying that I'm not medically minded but if the joint that's causing him problems isn't dislocated when he goes to the vets would anything show up on an X-ray?

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 22:14:43 PM »
I recently purchased a new tv unit which stands 4ft high. Leo has loved this ever since we put it up in the living room and uses it as his new hide out. On weds he was sparko and rolled over & fell off the end of it onto the floor. He started yowling in pain & dragged his back leg off to the bedroom & wouldnt let me anywhere near him hissing & scratching. Ten minutes later he came trotting into the lounge to find his dinner as if nothing had happened & was fine untill yesterday morning when I suddenly heard him yowling again in pain, slumped on his side holding up his back paw. I immediately rang the vets and booked him in. again, 5 mins later he is walking ok without a limp or anything.Got to the vet who examined both back legs, stretched them out & moved them around, checked his paws for cuts & couldnt find anything wrong at all.. no sign of him being uncomfortable with this or any sign of pain what so ever... ???  :shocked:

Just now my friend came round with her baby and I picked him up to put him on my bed as he can be a bit tempremental with visitors and suddenly started this yowling noise with the hissing again.. Its REALLY loud when he does it..

The vet kind of looked at me weirdly when I sounded worried as he was perfectly fine at the vet!.. its very distressing for me to see him like that..

Just a bit about him, he is a 6yr old, indoor only maine coon. Vet said he might be doing it for attention but surely not? He is an attention seeker but this was a deep yowling, pain sound.. while he is slumped on his side he starts to stretch his leg right out and back in again..

I am 6 mths pregnant & my frined said her cats turned very weird with her when she fell pregnant.. I dunno, Cramp? trapped nerve?.. any ideas?

Thank you.. have a good crimbo too  :Luv:

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 22:12:56 PM »
Thanks Tess..

Did your cat just develop this then or was there a trauma of some kind like a fall like Leo?

Really hope they get an x-ray done tomorrow.. or maybe they will give him string pain relief untill after christmas..

either way I want him out of his misery :(

Offline TESS

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 21:53:40 PM »
My cat did not have an xray initially the Vet examined her and said there was an area of heat in her knee. She is only a little cat so it may have been easier to diagnose on examination.
She was put on painkillers over the weekend and had to have an operation and cage rest for at least 3 weeks. She is absolutely fine now but i have been warned by the Vet that it can happen again.
Knee dislocation is apparently quite unusual in cats but common in dogs!

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 18:15:02 PM »
I think he has got to of done something like a dislocated it.. Its happened twice today & thats just when I have been here.. while he is screaming it is kind of bent.. then he will stretch it out a few times & its ok so sounds like what you said Tess...did they xray to discover that?

I think I'm going to have to get him an xray.. trouble is he is a BIG cat and although the vets examination seemed thorough, she did say she may have to put him to sleep to enable her to look properly. Poor boy.. I darn't go anywhere near him when he is in that pain, let alone pet him  as he hisses & swipes, i think I would lose an arm...  :scared:

If I call in the morning then do you think they will be able to xray him on a sunday? I don't car about the cost as he is insured anyway so would get it back..just dont wanna see him like this  :(

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 18:53:35 PM by dangermouse77 »

Offline TESS

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 15:43:15 PM »
My cat did this when she had a dislocated kneecap. She would walk around fine and even jump but would suddenly yowl in agony when it disloacted. Once she staightened her leg and the knee popped back in, she would be fine.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 14:52:28 PM »
So worrying when they do this and its like they know loads of holidays coming up!

Is he a big cat so that weight bearing maybe a problem?

It does sound that he has hurt himself but if he can walk properly most of the time it maybe a trapped nerve or a dead leg although would have thought that this would show all the time.

As the vet has done a good check. it doesnt sound like he has broken anything but may have pulled a muscle that only hurts after lying in a certain position and when he gets up quickly and tries to move.

I would try and give him loads of cuddles and strokes where it seems to hurt and make sure he knows you still love and care about him.

If he gets worse than you will need to see a vet again.

Hope he is Ok and you are able to have a good Christams  :hug: :hug:

Offline dangermouse77

• Adult Cat
Maine Coon screaming fits...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
I recently purchased a new tv unit which stands 4ft high. Leo has loved this ever since we put it up in the living room and uses it as his new hide out. On weds he was sparko and rolled over & fell off the end of it onto the floor. He started yowling in pain & dragged his back leg off to the bedroom & wouldnt let me anywhere near him hissing & scratching. Ten minutes later he came trotting into the lounge to find his dinner as if nothing had happened & was fine untill yesterday morning when I suddenly heard him yowling again in pain, slumped on his side holding up his back paw. I immediately rang the vets and booked him in. again, 5 mins later he is walking ok without a limp or anything.Got to the vet who examined both back legs, stretched them out & moved them around, checked his paws for cuts & couldnt find anything wrong at all.. no sign of him being uncomfortable with this or any sign of pain what so ever... ???  :shocked:

Just now my friend came round with her baby and I picked him up to put him on my bed as he can be a bit tempremental with visitors and suddenly started this yowling noise with the hissing again.. Its REALLY loud when he does it..

The vet kind of looked at me weirdly when I sounded worried as he was perfectly fine at the vet!.. its very distressing for me to see him like that..

Just a bit about him, he is a 6yr old, indoor only maine coon. Vet said he might be doing it for attention but surely not? He is an attention seeker but this was a deep yowling, pain sound.. while he is slumped on his side he starts to stretch his leg right out and back in again..

I am 6 mths pregnant & my frined said her cats turned very weird with her when she fell pregnant.. I dunno, Cramp? trapped nerve?.. any ideas?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 13:03:54 PM by dangermouse77 »

Link to CatChat