Author Topic: Vidalta and cat stroke  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Vidalta and cat stroke
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 16:02:16 PM »
I am so sorry that Spot is so ill and hope he improves a bit  :hug: :hug:

Offline Garetha

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Spot
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 15:16:08 PM »
thanks for the replies

Cat's name is Spot

not sure what his t4 level are as the vet did not tell us, we have stopped the tablets as at the moment the cat is unable to walk or do anything due to the stroke and has to be fed and watered by hand,
so its not looking to goodat the moment , we are just hopeing he makes any kind of improvement this weekend

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 14:55:49 PM »
I have 2 cats here at the Clan in Vitalda, Max on 20mg a day and Clio feral on 10mg a day and we have no adverse effects and both are blood tested regularly just to see how things are going Max is 12 and we had his thyroid removed but sadly there is still a bit left in an unoperable site and Clio is 14 but at the lower end of the scale and being feral she will be on tablets

We also had Smudger feral who had a stroke and he did recover eventually but this took a long time and he had a head tilt and prognosis wasn't good but he embraced life and had another 18 months before he peacefully went to sleep and died with no human intervention aged 14

We have tried Femizole the other tablet and it didn't work for Max at all he lost weight and was lethargic but on Vitalda has put on weight and is looking as good as his non Hyper T full brother Merlin

What were his Hyper T levels Max's was off the charts and we tableted for year before his Thyroid was removed, he had a great year and has been on tablets for the last 11 months

What were his liver and kidney values from the blood tests there may be an underlying cause with the stroke which was Smudgers issue
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 14:43:28 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  :hug:

Whats your cats name?

Like yvonne I have no experience of this but know many on Purrs have and believe there is another med they can take....maybe in Yvonnes links.

As far as the stroke is concerned, cats are like people and it depends on the severity and how your cat has been affected, I hope not too badly so that he/she can still have quality of life.

At the end of the day its the quality of life that determins what you do and am sending many Purrs vibes and hope that it will be OK.

Have you stopped the Vidalta, and has the vet mentioned the other drugs? Seems doseage problems occur and all cats react different.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 13:42:01 PM »
Hello Garetha and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Sorry that you have joined us at a time when your cat is so poorly

Although I have had no personal experience, yes there have been awful side effects with Vidalta which you will find if you search this forum.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=40273.0
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=40429.0

Positive vibes being sent

:get well: :best:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Garetha

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Spot
Vidalta and cat stroke
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »
My Cat has been on Vidalta for his high t4 levels for about a month and was perectly fine before takeing the tablets but once on the tablets he became sort of depressed and not his usual self.
then on Thursday he looks like he has had a stroke and now can not walk, vet says its just his age and there is nothing that can be done and if he dont pick up in a day he would have to be put to sleep.

my question is has anyone else had simialiar issues with Vidalta and cats haveing strokes whilst on the medication.

and with cat strokes is there any recovery from them or am i left with haveing to put my cat to sleep after this weekend.

Link to CatChat