Author Topic: Christmas Cat Food Donation Run  (Read 3757 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Christmas Cat Food Donation Run
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 16:10:23 PM »
I know she does table top sales every quarter and sends out a newletter a couple of weeks beforehand to invite folk to donate goods for the stall. She has our local vets on side and they are happy to collect cheques etc on her behalf (she's in there most weeks with the cats) and is registered as one of the beneficiaries of the local Pets At Home VIP club beneficiaries, so she has tried a few things, but when I asked her about making donations to the rescue's bank account she has no paypal mechanism or any other way of making electronic funds transfers which I think probably costs her.

I think she's a very good hearted person who spends all her own money on the cats but doesn't like to publicise too much? Bearing in mind I've been living here for almost 9 years (is it really??) I only heard about her rescue last year. It may be she's just got too much on already (I have no idea how many cats (and dogs) she has) and has made the conscious decision not to raise her profile lest she gets swamped, so maybe she relies on folk like me to do some discreet fundraising without adding to her burden, and this I can also understand.

She told me she has kittens coming in in January and they will need vet attention. I'm looking to raise some funds to get some cash "in the bank" at the vet for these little ones when they arrive.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 14:45:53 PM »
So pleased that you were able to help  :hug: :hug:

I am afraid that rescues must also put a lot of effort into fund raising them selves and sadly many dont.

Do you know what fund raising they do Sheila?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 13:16:52 PM »
Thanks everyone, I managed to dredge together 4 boxes of kitten food, two boxes of AGAIL, a pack of wood pellet cat litter, 5kgs of kibble, a roll of bin liners, two radiator cat beds and a heat pad. The addition of some Purrs Cat Toys (Tan was generous with her extras from my Purrs Shop order, I just spread the love a little further!) was particularly well received  ;D

They're really struggling for funds (it was my vet who told me this  :shify: not the proprietor of the rescue) so I'm gonna see if I can raise some cash for them in the New Year, so any ideas for fundraising from Purrs experts will be gratefully received.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
Old towel and sheets. News papper and kitten toys :)
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 21:33:18 PM »
GReat idea Sheila, well done  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 16:55:19 PM »
What a lovely idea Sheila  :) I know when I asked Teresa what sort of everyday things she'd like to go on the Amazion wish list she said kitchen rolls and bin bags as they get through so many.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
Christmas Cat Food Donation Run
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 15:37:32 PM »
I've been collecting tins and packs of food and toys for our local independent cat rescue for a few weeks, and am dropping them off tomorrow morning after our vet visit with Chubby.

My neighbours have been pretty generous so far but I'm thinking of knocking on a few more doors before I go  ;)

Anyone think of anything you would like if I was coming to see your rescue? I'm pretty good at scavenging and can usually get folk to cough up an old towel or spare tin of food.

Reckon I'd better not be taking my big handbag this year, though.  :rofl:

Link to CatChat