Author Topic: Veterinary acupuncture  (Read 7690 times)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
Re: Veterinary acupuncture
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2013, 06:56:27 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl:
Aren't they supposed to be really noisy?
Well done Milly!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 22:39:20 PM »
That's Percy, the village peacock  :evillaugh: I've got some photos somewhere of Geoffrey eyeing him up and of him peering in at us as we had our Christmas dinner  :rofl:  I'll see if I can dig them out.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 22:40:02 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 19:15:12 PM »
Thats really great  ;D ;D

Ummmmmmmmm who is that pecking ?

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 18:27:21 PM »

See that shed in the background?  Yesterday afternoon we called Milly as she wasn't in the house when we came home.  Where did she appear from?  She came running over the top of the shed, jumped down the front corner and ran to the house.  Just like that.  Little miss no-painkillers is obviously feeling very bouncy, both to have got up there in the first place and to have got down again with such ease! 

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »
Fantastic news  ;D

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »
Brilliant news. I'm a big fan of accupuncture and I'm really pleased it worked  :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 09:21:33 AM »
We're off the metacam! Went back yesterday and there were a few points which the vet described as being 'a bit sore' rather than very painful, so she had just a few needles in those bits.  We suspect those are the bits where the spondylosis is, so they will probably need fairly regular treatment to keep it nice and pain free. For now I'm over the moon, any period of time without metacam has got to be a good thing  :wow:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 18:48:26 PM »
I think I've realised why it hurt me and why my back is such a problem - the guy said that the trigger points were so deep in spasm that they were sucking the needles in rather than freeing it up, and my vet said that can happen if you've got particularly tense bits.  The penny has suddenly dropped though that the reason I hold so much tension in my shoulders isn't because I'm unduly stressed, it's simply because I'm hypermobile, and if I let my shoulders relax fully, my arms pop out of their sockets :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2013, 13:19:01 PM »
That is wonderful  ;D

For humans it shouldnt hurt if done properly but have to say it has never helped me and have had a number of different sessions in London.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »
without top pain relief previously she would bunny hop down the stairs, jumping with both her back legs at the same time.  Today on 1/3 lower pain relief she is walking normally  :wow:

I think this in itself is an advert for acupuncture, are you on commision?!  :evillaugh:

I consider myself to be a converted cynic  :evillaugh:

It gets even better - having incrementally reduced it, we're now down to 0.5kg daily dose (i.e. virtually nothing) and she's still not bunnyhopping down the stairs and is still walking normally.  So this time next week, hopefully we will be off the metacam totally.  I'm sooooo pleased (and amazed - as is my normal vet!) I can't tell you!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
I have accupuncture twice a month at my Local NHS Physio dept for free a couple were learning so I get extra sessions from them and I can walk in 3 inch heels again and have a life after my car accident 3 years ago
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 20:35:26 PM »
without top pain relief previously she would bunny hop down the stairs, jumping with both her back legs at the same time.  Today on 1/3 lower pain relief she is walking normally  :wow:

I think this in itself is an advert for acupuncture, are you on commision?!  :evillaugh:

I'm still not convinced for humans (too scared of needles!) but I would definitely consider it for the boys, if ever needed, based on Milly's experience  :)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 13:45:51 PM »
It sounds like it must have done you some good if you are willing to go through the pain again and hopefully the next treatment won't be so painful.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 13:39:14 PM »
Ooh, I don't like it at all, it hurts  :rofl: but I have renewed empathy for Milly.  It does seem to be loosening up my back a bit but after Geoffrey's dental last week the financial cupboard is a bit bare at the moment so I won't be having any more for a few weeks at least!

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 13:32:13 PM »
Glad it's all going well for Milly ;D how did your own second lot of treatment go?

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »
Back this morning, it's been a fortnight since her last visit and she had 4 or 5 small sore bits which were needled but on the whole she is still remarkably comfortable - especially as its been a month since she last had any acupuncture and she's now on 2.5kg dose of painkiller down from 3.7kg.

Vet is very pleased and doesn't want to see her again for another month, and in the meantime we keep reducing the metacam at 0.5kg a week as long as she stays comfortable.

I took a little vid of her walking down the stairs this morning, but it keeps giving me a processing error every time I try and upload it to photobucket  >:(  without top pain relief previously she would bunny hop down the stairs, jumping with both her back legs at the same time.  Today on 1/3 lower pain relief she is walking normally  :wow:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:57:07 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 20:35:36 PM »
Definitely interesting for me as it's something I might consider for Silvie.  I think it's great you're trying it too - another interesting angle!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 20:14:37 PM »
It's even more interesting for Milly  ;)

I feel really sore today! I was warned that I might, and I really do!  I'm so glad I gave it a go, I think it has helped me to understand what Milly might be physically feeling during and after each session.

I have another session next week too; I think it has really helped my back already even though it is still sore.  I was lying in bed last night and my shoulders were so relaxed I almost couldn't feel them - the best I can describe it is that it feels I've I've been cut out of a very tight, restricting shirt that I had got so used to wearing that I didn't even realise I was wearing it until it had gone! Very odd indeed.  But quite pleasant now; it feels very different. 

Onwards and upwards, I'll keep you posted on how Milly goes now we are starting to reduce the metacam dose, as that will be particularly interesting to see I think!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 18:20:11 PM »
I find all this very interesting and such good news for Molly  ;D

Me too, it's fascinating stuff and is bound to help someone in the future who is considering it fro their pet. When you said about finding the knots in your human session I was tempted (for a split second!) as I get really achey shoulders/upper back and have quite bad knotted tension myself.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 17:51:11 PM »
I find all this very interesting and such good news for Molly  ;D

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
I realise that I'm doing a lot of posting here - but I hope that some of it is informative and helpful to someone  ;D

Milly has been checked again this morning - no trigger points found at all and she has full extension in all her limbs  :wow: no amount of prodding and pressing gave the slightest reaction - so no acupuncture needed today. Vet agrees we can start reducing metacam and suggests doing half kilo dose reduction every week, as that gives enough time for changes to show and to find a lower effective dose.  So we don't go back for another fortnight now, meaning that when we next visit it will have been a month since any acupuncture - a good test to see how frequently she may need future 'top ups'.  Am very pleased indeed  :wow:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 21:47:22 PM »
So I've just come back from my first session of trigger point acupuncture so now I know what it feels like...it makes bits you were blissfully unaware of most of the time feel very sore  :rofl: he found some horrid knots which really hurt when pressed.  You can't really feel the needles go in, and then some of them I couldn't feel at all, some of them ached or tingled a bit, and a couple of them REALLY HURT  :rofl: Not in an unbearable way, but in a definite ouchy way. 

So now I feel a bit sore through my shoulders, he said that my posture had changed over my shoulders through just the one session, so we shall see how it goes throughout the week.

Tomorrow is Milly's turn again; we are now down to fortnightly so depending on how it goes, it may be time to start talking about reducing the metacam  :wow:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »
Yes, I suppose it is! I haven't seen her on kitchen work tops yet, she isn't terribly food orientated so I guess she just doesn't want to as it's never a habit she has had.

. Maybe a silly Q but does the vet do human patients too?

She can (they learnt on each other before they started doing animals) but she doesn't, as she isn't insured to.  So she does friends and family but not anyone else.  I did ask her if she knows of anyone round my way but she doesn't.  I think I may have found a local physiotherapist who does it.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 23:10:45 PM »
When I find her on a kitchen worktop, that will be the final confirmation  :rofl:

Milly jumped the 6ft garden fence this afternoon  :Crazy:  I've NEVER seen her do that before! 

Well if that's not an advert for acupuncture I don't know what is!

I still couldn't bring myself to have it due to needle-phobia but hope you can find somebody local that does the 'type' you need. Maybe a silly Q but does the vet do human patients too?

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 19:34:29 PM »
Fluffybunny - have you been to your GP lately? The only reason I ask is that I've just come back to mine and mentioned my constant headaches and she said to book in for accupuncture with her! I was really surprised. Might be worth asking.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 15:13:06 PM »
That is great news for Milly  :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »
So pleased it has been a success  ;D Maybe the acupuncturist that treated Milly will know of someone to help you or be able to tell you where you can find someone.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 21:55:26 PM »
That is pretty amazing. So glad it worked.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 21:23:54 PM »
Milly jumped the 6ft garden fence this afternoon  :Crazy:  I've NEVER seen her do that before!  She also went to see my normal vet this week for her booster, and my vet was amazed at how much better her mobility is and how little she is bothered with being touched and having those joints manipulated now.  So I think that's a big thumbs up on the acupuncture!

I'm currently trying to find someone who does the western trigger point acupuncture for humans, my back is really bad and I thought it would be interesting to see what it feels like and whether it helps me too. 

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 18:56:39 PM »
She's jumped up onto a bedroom sideboard next to a radiator for a nap this afternoon - I'm not sure she's ever jumped up there before, so she's definitely feeling more nimble.  When I find her on a kitchen worktop, that will be the final confirmation  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 15:35:07 PM »
Well done Milly and sounds like its helped her  ;D

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 13:42:26 PM »
Milly had her 'final' session of the first batch today, no more 'trigger points' found other than those last few dealt with today.  She is going back next week just for a prod to see how things are doing, but all being well, we may be able to try reducing metacam next week.  She is definitely moving more freely and is extending her limbs far better  :wow:  She's also due her booster vac next week so it will also be interesting to see how my normal vet thinks she compares to when she examined her last.  Will try and get a little vid soon!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 22:24:49 PM »
I don't think I would be able to watch, I don't do needles!  :faint: Would be interested to see the comparion videos  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 21:20:21 PM »
I wouldnt be surprised cos it does all things and on the odd time it worked for me I was incredibly relaxed and could just fall asleep

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 20:57:55 PM »
Yes most of them didn't go that deeply, there were a couple of places where she was heading for a muscle underneath a muscle (can't remember its name) so needed a slightly longer one.  It's interesting to watch, it's clearly not hurting her, she just has that look of a cat who doesn't want to be at the vets  :rofl:

Although she's not hyper-responding, Milly always seems to be unspeakably hungry when she gets home, I don't know if it can stimulate their appetite?  I must remember to ask next week.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 17:49:22 PM »
3cms is a very long way in, i have had acupuncture and they just went in a little but certain places I couldnt tollerate them at all as my body/skin was releasing histomine and was itching .

I hope these keep on working and Milly is being a very brave cat  ;D

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
Main session 3 today.  Milly has been really pulling at the fur on her hip; vet says it is very common for chronic type pain to manifest across the body but once you start 'releasing' those areas, it all tracks back to the original source of the pain - and the rest of it is mainly because of posture changes to try and cope with the worst pain.  So with Milly it looks as if the left hip, where she is fur pulling, is where the main source of pain is, and in the interim it has perhaps got a bit 'worse' because other muscles have now been pinged out of spasm. 

So today the vet concentrated on the left hip; it was really interesting to watch, because Milly has pulled the fur out on that bit so I could see exactly what she was doing.   The needles were going in quite deep, about 3cm in some places, and the vet holds them there and occasionally twists/moves them up and down, and she places her hand around the needle to hold Milly still and to feel the muscles twitching.  Some of the twitches were making the needle move so the acupuncture is clearly getting right into the muscles which have spasmed and got all tense. 

I'm certain that she is not arching her back as much when she walks now, so I'm really hopeful that with a couple more sessions, she'll be much happier.  I took some video of her walking at the start of the sessions, so I'll try and take some more in a week or two and we'll see if purrs peeps can spot the difference  :wow:

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 21:33:49 PM »
All sounds really promising for Milly :)

Silvie has given herself a bald armpit, right where her dodgy knee is.  It's right underneath so I would never had noticed if the vet hadn't told me!  The skin isn't broken though so I'm not too worried about it.

I think acupuncture is one of those things that if it works for you, it really works.  I had some once for a sore neck and shoulders and didn't really notice an effect.  It's always worth a try though :)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 19:37:12 PM »
I'm quite tempted to give it a go myself just to see what it feels like, I'm curious to know what she's feeling. I've never been tempted before because I've always thought acupuncture was a bit crazy, but vet says if I find a medical acupuncturist rather than an eastern one I will probably be more at ease  :evillaugh:

She said the reason she learnt was because she had a bad whiplash injury years ago which osteopathy, physio etc couldn't cure, but 2 sessions of acupuncture dealt with it.  Amazing really, I consider myself a former sceptic!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 15:07:20 PM »
Very promising, sounds like it's all going according to plan   :)

Link to CatChat