Author Topic: Help! my cat attacking his tail  (Read 1787 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Help! my cat attacking his tail
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 13:48:09 PM »
There's a bitterant you can put on his tail called Grannicks bitter apple, some vets sell it but if not you can get it from VetUK or Amazon. Might be worth a try and certainly before amputation!

I'd also seek a second opinion.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 14:41:42 PM »
I think your vets are trying to take the easy way out and you should definately go for a second opinion before this gets any worse  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 22:51:12 PM »
I read on the internet about feline hyperesthesia, and mentioned to our vets but they totally dismissed it................  I'd be grateful for any advice as to what we should do next. I'm thinking referral to another vet. 

Why did your vet dismiss that condition?  What reasons did they give?

I too would be thinking of a referral before going the amputation route  :( :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 22:22:28 PM »
have you deflead him at all? just wondered whether he had the odd flea, as they do tend to gather at the base of the tail and just one flea bite could set up a terrible itch/allergy? :(

Offline julz

• Kitten
  • Slave to: kai, mika, silas & jasper
Help! my cat attacking his tail
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 21:06:20 PM »
Hi there,

My 8 yr old cat Mika has been visciously attacking his own tail for the last few weeks now. I have taken him to our local vets 3 times, as it was getting so bad. The first time we took him they said it was probably just a phase, but after that he ripped the end of his tail open and had blood everywhere.

The second time we took him they gave him some metacam, which made no difference whatsoever.

The last time we took him was after he'd ripped it open again, and they just keep saying that they want to cut off part of his tail to stop him attacking it. The problem i have is that i'm pretty sure its not something irritating him and that it is a psychological issue, as when he starts to have a go at it, if we for example put a magazine over it and he can't see it he completely forgets about it.

He has always been very prone to snapping and being suddenly aggressive for no reason, but only recently to himself. I read on the internet about feline hyperesthesia, and mentioned to our vets but they totally dismissed it. I asked what would happen if we did have part of his tail amputated only to find he was still doing it lower down, and they pretty much said that wouldnt happen.  In the end because i was so against having his tail cut they gave us some steroid tabs and a buster collar for him, but he's still trying to attack his tail.

I'd be grateful for any advice as to what we should do next. I'm thinking referral to another vet.

Link to CatChat