Author Topic: Advice on my Parent's elderly cat  (Read 1554 times)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
Re: Advice on my Parent's elderly cat
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »
Def worth a trip to the vet, it could be hyperthyroidism, a simple blood test and it easily treated. Give poor Saffie a chance :(

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice  :thanks: I'm going to speak to my mum today & hopefully she'll see sense to giving Saffie a fighting chance x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 06:36:21 AM »
Sounds like Hyperthyroid to me and I now have 2 of them with Clio feral being diagnosed yesterday

I tablet both of mine using Salmon pate from M & S and wrap the pill in the pate and put 4 dollops on Max's side pate - he is on 2 tablets and 3 on Clio's they think its a spaecial treat and eat it, takes the stress and pain of claws from everyone and have used the method successfully to worm my ferals and they don't trust me at all

Vets visit and bloods should be on the list

Keeping all paws crossed for you, your parent s and Miss Saffie   :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »
She definately needs to see a good vet who can advise on her issues and what can be done to help her

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 23:38:05 PM »
sounds as if she might well be hyperthyroid - all those symptoms point that way

the best pills are Felimazole, and they are small enough to hide in a treat, so perhaps if a  blood test confirms it she could at least be given a chance - getting her on medication could see a big improvement very quickly
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
Advice on my Parent's elderly cat
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 22:36:02 PM »
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask for people's thoughts on my parent's elderly cat Saffie; Saffie is almost 16 years old & is now showing signs of old age, she has lost weight (particularly around the back end) wants to eat constantly, drinks alot, cries all the time, keeps being sick, poos all over the house & generally seems miserable :( She hasn't been to the vets lately as these things have all come on gradually but have worsened over the last week or so. As a few of her symptoms have pointed towards illnesses that would need medication (it is impossible to tablet her as she gets so stressed she almost collapses), her quality of life & that my parents are getting on a bit and are starting to struggle coping with her constant messing in the house, last night they had a discussion about having her put to sleep.  Although Saffie & I have never seen eye to eye, its upset me as we had her from a kitten & Christmas is hardly the time to have her put to sleep! :'( Obviously it's not my decision to make but wanted to ask what other people would do in this situation?

Link to CatChat