Author Topic: Important veterinary survey  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Important veterinary survey
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »

I've completed the survey to the best of my ability, but found it difficult to give accurate answers based on supposition alone.  And as to how far I would travel to obtain treatment, again it would depend on a number of variants.  If I had a cat that travelled well, it would be less of a problem than owning a cat who gets very stressed at the shortest of journies.

It does concern me that vaccinating a cat could result in such an injury - for I do see it as an injury resulting directly from vaccination.  I appreciate the risk may be small, but nontheless, it's bad enough worrying whether a pet will have a reaction to the medication, let alone whether vaccinating your cat could result in a cancer.  I find myself asking why this isn't made known at the time vaccinations are recommended or offered?

Our vet is also one of those who subscribes to the opinion that annual vaccination is not always necessary or recommended, although I think most of us continue with annual vaccination for Insurance purposes if nothing else. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 23:07:44 PM »
I dont do the luek jab on Misa and Sasa but did the first time on Lupin I think.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 23:02:02 PM »
I'm afraid I actually closed the survey without finishing it, because I found it impossible to answer as a normal pet owner, sorry.

Rosella - Geoffrey also gets a transient swelling after his leukemia vaccine - I still have his done annually as he does fight, but we now separate it and give it a month apart from the trivac and this seems to really reduce the size and duration of the swelling. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 22:28:54 PM »
I have filled in the questionnaire but as an ordinary cat owner the questions are impossible to answer with any real imagination.

I feel this is something that vets should consider as most do not offer an alternative injection site.

The cost is also an important issue although not mentioned and as a vet 'you' are very blase concerning much of the treatment and things like repeat surgery, radiotherapy and chemptherapy and us cat owners would want a lot more info in each case.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 22:19:51 PM »
One of my cats developed a lump following the leuk vaccination in 2011 but it disappeared within about 10 days.  It worried me a very great deal.  Whilst most of mine react to that vaccination by being unwell for around 24 hours which I can live with, she was again really quite ill this year for about 5 days following same jab (no lump) so I have now decided against this vaccination for her (our other 7 cats still have it).  I know from the posts of others on this site that I am not alone in making this this decision.

Is it correct that such sarcomas are linked more to live vaccines e.g. leuk vaccination ?  I'd be grateful if your link could clarify this please one way or the other.

I would also suggest that your questionnaire give an option to indicate "I would go with my vet's advice" as I found it impossible to answer quite a few questions without that option.

On a related subject, my sister sent me the attached document see below relating to UK guidelines for vaccinating cats which seems to suggest far less than annual vaccinations is required and I wonder what your thoughts are.  You can imagine annual vaccinating of 8 cats is costly but I am far more concerned that I may be introducing unnecessary doses of medication into their systems which of course involves injecting the same area.

Thanks for your post.  Vaccinations is a pretty hot topic.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 22:47:55 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline DarrenC

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Bristol
Important veterinary survey
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 14:37:45 PM »
For the attention of all cat owners.

The University of Bristol and the Animal Health Trust are conducting a survey to find out important information on owners views of different treatment options for an important condition affecting cats.

There is a link for the survey below. You don't need any prior knowledge of the condition as it is all explained in the survey. It should take less than 10 minutes to complete.

https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/awb/felinesarcoma

Kind Regards,
Darren Carwardine BVSc MRCVS

Link to CatChat