Author Topic: How to make cats run away from you in terror - yes its frontline time!  (Read 2601 times)

Offline PersianCatLover

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Gizmo the Persian, Bubbles and Ali the salukis, all rescues!
Re: How to make cats run away from you in terror - yes its frontline time!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 17:07:43 PM »
 :naughty:

Thanks for your posting.  I am with you, if there is no antidote to the injections I wouldn't use them.

As for vaccinations, when I was breeding and showing Salukis in the USA I Had to be cautious because we were in and out of shows...and because I had about 12 salukis, we purchased a huge old school bus and converted it to a camper with crates and beds and air conditioning because, well, you just can't trust just anybody to take care of a bunch of Arabian Lunatics.  (Do I sound like a control freak or what?).  Now that I have only the two rescues we inoculate only every three years.  It is pretty much clear from the vet papers that it really isn't necessary every year (but don't ask your usual vet, he will insist on yearly ones to pay for that fancy car behind the clinic), but we get used to it.

Since I have an auto-immune problem myself (srogren's syndrom), I am cautious about anything that might affect my immune system OR my animal's.  Even when I showed the Salukis I didn't use the combo vaccine that contained carona as carona virus is a survivable disease, while parvo etc. aren't.  Something in my insides just said living in this world with it's overabundance of chemical and biological stresses is enough, why take a chance on breaking their natural immunity any more than we need to?
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for one good man or woman to do nothing!  Don't be that one person, stand up and be counted even if you have to take chances and put yourself on the line.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 19:24:08 PM »
I have used stronghold for many years and wouldnt use anything else, however I use it rarely as dont approve of putting all theses chemicals on them unless really needed.

I also dont like the idea of injections cos if there was any kind of adverse reaction you cant take it out of their system.

I used to live in London but once visited St Leonards LOL

I have a pedigree quite deliberately but he is a contrary sort of boy and only comes into his own when being very norty lol. He is a monster!

Offline PersianCatLover

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 13:46:18 PM »
I live in St. Leonards on Sea!  Which is miles from anyone who seems to share my interest in persian cats, rescues etc.  HOWEVER, I 'spect you should be having a good solid bond with your cat before I try to do anything with him/her...you see I need you to hand me the iron covered gauntlets and make sure my helmet eye shield is down before I attempt any sort of spot upon cat training regime! ;D  And you'd have to drive your chariot to me and I bet your cat just hates car rides too???

In fact my friend is judging a show in April somewhere near London and we only get to see each other once per year  .As I don't drive (in England, you guys drive on the wrong side of the street for me!) and we have a neato big estate car but hubby can't drive due to ill health so we only pay insurance on it and it sits...I was hoping to hitch a ride to the show for Gizmo and I (no she isn't judging the pedigree pet class, but she insists that Gizmo should be a master cat just to top off her wild rescue story) or even someone to drive our car for me, but no such luck.  Pedigree people aren't too happy with my views on rescue, sigh.  And I DO open my big mouth when I shouldn't and say cats should have enough room for tear ducts or they shouldn't be bred from....oh, I do go on :censored: Yep someone will put this sign on my mouth some day.

Back to the subject at hand!  I have never heard of injections for worming/flea treatment?  I am new to cats...only did salukis and you don't give them shots for anything but vaccinations or they do weird things.  Would someone tell me about them?
Da Suz
da Suz
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for one good man or woman to do nothing!  Don't be that one person, stand up and be counted even if you have to take chances and put yourself on the line.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 11:26:51 AM »
Have to say I love my Program injections for the cats at least twice a year I get close to some of my nasty ferals  :rofl:  The dogs are on Program Plus tablets once a month but easily hidden in sausages from M & S same with their other wormers as bless Sunny BC he isn't good with jaws being opened by Mummy!!!

Still worming is easier with my trusty spreadsheet and pate, kitsticks and other goodies reserved for the Hyperthyroid pair and the others think they are getting a treat :evillaugh:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 22:01:17 PM »
I get not one bad face, not one animal pulling away and no me-nos or not me barks!

Do ya mind me asking where you live?  I'm thinking of sending Billy Whiz over to you  :innocent: :evillaugh:

I've still got his Milbemax tablet from last November too  :) 

Love Widget btw  :Luv2: 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 22:03:13 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline PersianCatLover

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 19:41:53 PM »
I only use stronghold on my salukis and persians (two of the breeds of companion animals that are supposed to be the most sensitive to chemicals) and swear by it.  It kills worms and ear mites too.  I do know for a FACT that Frontline no longer works like it did.  The fleas have become resistant to it.  I tried it only once and had a flea invasion and my cats are indoor only cats...my dogs only exercised on lead or in our very highly fenced garden.

Funny, not one of my animals, even the newest the rescue Widget (Persian) has the slightest aversian to having stronghold applied.  I thoroughly groom and powder my persians first and then apply the stronghold.  I don't think they think it is anything other than part of their daily routine of grooming, cleaning ears, whiping eyes.  The salukis come to me when called (which is not a usual thing..they usually take a message and get back to you) and stand in front of me to have it applied.
Maybe it is because I keep a very strict routine as to grooming and feeding times.  They love routine and if you treat flea treatment as just another part of their day I get not one bad face, not one animal pulling away and no me-nos or not me barks!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 00:14:52 AM »
I haven't had any problems with frontline except for the cats ESP picking up on when its due - I even warm it up before I put it on...

I don't know what the vet gave me last time, but it was a spot on wormer (not to deflea as well) but it was blooming horrible - left the cats sticky for weeks!

but as soon as they get sight or a whiff of that blue triangle they age off!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Poppy Seed Cats

• Adult Cat
    • Poppy Seed Cats - Cat collars, accessories and cat art.
  • Slave to: Jazz, Marble, Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 22:50:25 PM »
Kiwi can smell frontline from a mile off. Jazz and Marble just sit there and put up with it but Kiwi darts around the room like an idiot to the point where it takes 2 of us to apply it. She starts squinting her eyes as if it's directly in them, maybe she's more sensitive to smells.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »
actually i use effipro or effispot at £2 per pipette. seems to do the job here.....
I use front-line I suppose more in generic way.... like hoover

i think whatever flavour you use, the reaction is the same.

I also prefer the applicator in the above products, the last time I used one of the alternatives, the pipette was a small white thing and think most of it went when I tried to see if there was any left! Not what you need in middle battle  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »
Yes you are so right and I am another stronghold user although have never used Frontline. My thought is that it was used too much and I dont use stronghold that often.

Love the picture  ;D ;D

Offline PersianCatLover

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
I have no trouble doing our two salukis or our two cats (yes folks, Suzi actually adopted an exotic varient persian! And she is a joy, fits right in and really seems to love it here!).

The main problem I have with your post is that you are still using frontline.  If you speak to your vet he will tell you , just as I am about to tell you that frontline has lost it's punch and does very little for say fleas or earmites.  I use droncit for tapes, and our spoton is Stronghold, which also worms your cat at the same time (except for tapes).  Our animals are flea free, yet a few years back our son's bordercollie arrived covered with fleas and the frontline didn't work on anyone.  Stronghold or Avocat is MUCH better.  Just a tip! :wow:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:50:24 AM »
I'm hopeless at that casual "nope, I've got nothing in my hand and am just casually walking towards you for a cuddle" approach.  They spot me a mile off.  I can usually get Mosi done as he's not that bothered but Jaffa runs rings around me so I try to do him first.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:24:41 AM »
I find a plate of chicken does the trick. I can usually swoop whilst he is otherwise engaged. Mind you, he spends the nrxt few hours glaring at me suspiciously and ostentatiously turning his back every time I enter the room.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
How to make cats run away from you in terror - yes its frontline time!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 16:37:20 PM »
I swear cats have an inbuilt timer at frontline time! The second I even think about doing it they both eye me up suspiciously and if i have it concealed in my pocket they somehow know and dart off when I go to stroke them whereas normally they stop and roll over at the slightest contact. Cats eh :evillaugh:

I have to pretend I'm walking past and swoop in for the grab :naughty:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
How to make cats run away from you in terror - yes its frontline time!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 16:16:58 PM »
Well actually I'm using Effipro, however the reaction in the same.

4 done without any bother , didn't even care. However the big guns are still to be done. The  :censored: are not even staying in the same room as me. I walk in they dash out. Never seen poor old ginge run so fast, belly wobbling from side to side.

I'll get them tomorrow.... or the next day :shoosh:

...or maybe next month.. :-[

Link to CatChat