Author Topic: Foreign body op. recovery not going as planned  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Foreign body op. recovery not going as planned
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 15:03:42 PM »
This seems to be going in the right direction and the vet sounds very good, never heard of that appetite stimulant and know they use diazapam, Think vit B also helps appetite.

Sending lots of cuddles  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 14:17:50 PM »
Love is the best appetite enhancer I know (dished up in large quantities, sometimes with butter on!). Love her better now, Kel.  :hug:

Offline Frank

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Frank
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 13:05:27 PM »
So that there is a slight improvement. They are a constant worry aren't they.

Wish her a complete recovery.

Offline Kel2217

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
she does sound a little better, she is probably just feeling a bit sorry for herself I know I would be!
She's definitely feeling a bit sorry for herself...which like you say..is understandable..I wouldn't be overjoyed....and she was terrified going back to the vets today....but is a happy girl to be home...she's purring and rubbing her head round everything in the sitting room..including my male cat...he is not impressed...
I think it's just a wait and see approach now... Let her eat little and often and if that fails, we can try an appetite stimulant...he said what he looks for is progression, if she suddenly gets worse, that's not good and obviously I have to take her in ASAP to be looked at.

They have been fantastic, I think they must be used to worried owners like me....she's my baby though.. :Luv2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »
she does sound a little better, she is probably just feeling a bit sorry for herself I know I would be!

Offline Kel2217

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »
Back from vets so thought I would update. Vet seems to think as long as she is progressing, we are doing ok. She always ate small amounts frequently anyway, so it's not an unusual pattern for her. He said to offer 3 or 4 small meals a day and let her have what she feels like. He is happy she is peeing and drinking...said not to worry about not pooing...there is poo there when he felt but not op much and he thinks she will go in afew days.
He gave her a vitamin b injection... Not really sure why but there was no charge so I'm not imagining it does anything amazing.
Her tummy felt good, and wasn't painful, no temp. She is lively and active...( tried to escape in the vet!!!)

Back on Thursday to be checked over again....so fingers crossed she improves.... She ate a few more mouthfuls of food when we got in..so all in...I'm felling a little better....but still worried...I think I will be until she is better.

Vet did discuss appetite stimulants...mirtazapine? But felt we should let her try and improve herself, he did say her op was only less than 72 hours ago....not long at all really.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:45 AM »
I wonder if her throat was left sore after the anaesthetic? that would explain a reluctance to eat and a desire to drink more
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Kel2217

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:23 AM »
Thank you to everyone for the advice and tips   :thanks:
Se ate a little more wet food this morning, not much but it's better than nothing. My concern now is she seems to be wanting to drink alot, she's at the tap in the bathroom quite a bit. Although she is moving round the house now, digging my carpet and having a nosey here and there. My other two cats have stopped hissing at her, which makes it easier for her to come downstairs.
Back to vet at 11.45, will mention all my concerns and see where we go from here.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »
It does sound as though she's coming on, albeit slowly.  If she's eating a few biscuits, licking her wet food and drinking a little it sounds as though she is doing ok, although I know how worrying it is when they're like that and you just want them to get back to normal.  how big an incision did the vet have to make?  I know Mosi had quite a long incision and large area of shaved fur (I teased him and referred to it as his pyjama case look!) and it was really sad to see him so quiet and uncomfortable for the first few days but he was almost back to his normal self after a week.  I hope Lu continues to recover and get some food down her  :hug:

Offline Fred

• Adult Cat
  • Solitaire - our furbaby :)
  • Slave to: Mrs Solitaire Meow & Mr Connery Sir Purrs-Alot (formally known as Milo)
Foreign body op. recovery not going as planned
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 17:05:11 PM »
Oh no. Hugs :hug:

:'(

She's eating so that's a good sign, just keep loving her like you are doing and try not to worry, impossible I know, but Shelarose is right, Lu will pick up on your worry :( Lu's been through a scary painful ordeal

I know Lu isn't very interested in her food at the moment but that's because she feels lousy after her ordeal but I wanted you to know that if for any reason her appetite gets poorer, there are ways her appetite can be stimulated, and it works, so do try not to worry.

A few years ago Solitaire stopped eating, she was worrying about me, my health was bad and solitaire knew. She became sad, stopped eating, began loosing weight and i thought we would loose her through it. We tried al sorts of food, drinks, treats, tricks, she wasnt interested in even being hand fed her favourites. As a last resort our vets gave her a little Valium, they said it would make Solitaire sleepy but she would wake ravenous. It worked, solitaire was ravenous and thirsty, once Solitaire had a full belly she felt better and started eating normally again, brought her appetite back brought her back. :luv: ;D we were so relieved and thankful.

At least Lu is eating biscuits and drinking, she will be in pain and fed up, so it's great that she is eating a little, Lu will be ok. She probably doesn't need lots to eat if she's resting up, plus she'll have a very sore belly :'( and you are able to get fluid in to her, by syringe but its something, Lu's throat might be sore, especially if she was incubated and had tubes down her throat through the operation.

as a last resort - if Lu does stop eating and drinking altogether ask your vets if they have something that will make her hungry, like Valium. But as with all drugs there are risks, your vets will be able to best advise you in your situation, it's not suitable for all cats. With Solitaire it was worth going through with the Valium.

Hugs and hugs
:hug:

A tickle for Lu too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 17:21:47 PM by Fred »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 16:24:30 PM »
does sound like she is feeling a little better  :hug:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 16:22:36 PM »
That sounds encouraging! If she's eating biscuits and drinking I'm sure she's on the mend. She's probably just feeling a bit woozy and fragile at the moment. I expect she wil soon bounce back.  :Luv2:

Don't feel guilty for worrying. I'm sure we would all be just the same.

Offline Kel2217

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 16:17:53 PM »
Thank you all  :hug:

She has drank some more water, which is good. And she did it of her own accord, I didn't need to encourage her, I left some cat food in with her and whilst she didn't eat it, she licked at it..it's a start I suppose....just have to hope she keeps getting better ... Will see what the vet thinks tomorrow.
I just want her back to her old self.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 16:12:57 PM »
Gill's right. And its our job to make sure you have an outlet, so don't feel you need to bottle this up, ok?  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 14:46:49 PM »
Dont worry about being a nuisance, its the vets job  :hug: :hug:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 14:44:31 PM »
Hello Kel and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Sorry to hear that Lu has not been herself
I found warm fresh chicken helps
Keep us updated with her progress

:get well:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Kel2217

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 10:50:53 AM »
Thank you

Just can't help but worry. Was going to call vet and ask advice, but don't want to be a nuisance.
I don't want her to go back in for iv drip. But if it makes her better then I would .

Just want her back to her old self

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
It sounds like she's coming along OK. A few biscuits is a good start, and as biscuit have a higher calorie count than wet food she shouldn't lose too much condition while you wait for her appetite to come back properly.

Try and relax - I don't know how close your relationship is with her but she will be feeling your stress and if she's a loving cat normally, your anxiety might actually make her more upset, so her recovery could take even longer.

Here for you.  :hug:

Offline Kel2217

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »
They are quite sure they got everything out, but now hat I have told them she is eating some cat biscuits ( even though its only a handful) they are just saying wait for her appetite to come back.

I can't sleep for worry, although she I'd get up a few times during the night and have a few mouthfuls of biscuits. I have tried everything and she's just not interested

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 02:13:45 AM »
AD diet from the vets is good for convalescing cats but anything she will eat or drink will good, much better than not eating.

I think your vet is being far too casual!

I know thatMisa was scanned to see if he had something stuck in him as well as xrayed, so dont know if something would show up on a scan?

Did they get the tinsel out?

Hope things improve quickly  :hug: :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 00:36:23 AM »
Mosi had a similar op several years ago (he ate the string from da bird  :innocent:) and I struggled to get him to eat for the first 24 hours.  I remember having some fresh chicken and some tinned applaws chicken and trying to tempt him with small amounts but he really wasn't interested.  He did start eating after that though.  As long as you are getting something into her I wouldn't panic just yet.  Fingers crossed she'll get her appetite back over the next few days.  It's so worrying when they won't eat  :hug:  She'll be uncomfortable and when they're uncomfortable they often don't feel like eating. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 00:37:31 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 00:10:48 AM »
If she had an anaesthetic it can take a few days to get over it.  Can make you feel sick and lose your appetite. Have you tried warming the food, sometimes if they smell it can tempt them to eat? Hope she is on the mend soon. :(

Offline Kel2217

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 23:20:48 PM »
He felt along her intestines, took X-rays ..and was happy there was no obstruction. She has pain meds, antibiotics and antacids to take daily.
They just keep saying she will eat eventually

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 23:11:33 PM »
Does sound like she has a problem.
What tests did your vet do to convince himself there's nothing tying her intestines up? Has he given you any meds for her?

Offline Kel2217

• Kitten
Foreign body op. recovery not going as planned
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 22:33:55 PM »
Hello

My 8 year old fur baby lu had an op on Friday, she had eaten tinsel and it was stuck in her gut. Vet seemed quite sure it wasn't in her intestines, so all seemed positive.
However, she is refusing to eat or drink, they gave her me home to see if being out of the stressful situation would help.it hasn't, I'm syringing water into her..and have got her to eat a small amount of cat biscuits, she won't entertain wet food at all.

I'm at my wits end, Im so worried about her. It's like she's given up. The vet can't force her to eat, so surely she will just fade away. I have tried chicken, tuna.treats..everything and she just wants to sleep. So far from the lively lady I had last week.

To say I'm heartbroken is an understatement.

Link to CatChat