Author Topic: Lethargy  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Lethargy
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 14:32:44 PM »
Very sorry to hear this  :hug: Life is just so cruel at times  :hug:

RIP little Nemo, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »
oh I'm so sorry to hear this, you did everything you could  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 21:17:59 PM »
Oh Sweetie I am so so sorry - RIP little Nemo xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 20:17:35 PM »
what a shock for you - you tried your hardest for him, and he must have been very ill - they hide it so well

he had more than a name at the end - he had you to care about him :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 20:14:15 PM »
I am so terribly sorry that is just so sad. You tried your very best for him and he knew love right to the end  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP little Nemo

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 19:51:27 PM »
he's dead.  about an hour ago he started having breathing difficulties.  i rang the emergency vet and they said i could take him in but would have to leave a £200 deposit.  i said i didnt have it and they said i'd have to take him to the pdsa but they couldnt give me the number.  so i spent 15 minutes looking for the number and my neighbour said she'd take me to thamesmead and while i was listening to the recorded message he died in the carrier  :'(
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 13:44:16 PM »
not eating again  :(.  i've started syringe feeding today, does anybody have any idea how often i should be doing it and how much to give in one sitting?
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 18:39:40 PM »
Still time for 2 more LOL.

I think he is doing well all considering  ;D

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 18:05:05 PM »
he's had 4 small meals today but he wont eat the high calorie food from the vet so he's just having what the others are having.  i'd say he's managed about half of what the others had but spread out over the day  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 15:55:00 PM »
Well if its kitekat them its kitekat LOL.....some cats dont like fish,

Hope he keeps on eating in bits, small and often is the message. Try just giving him very small meals so he isnr faced with a dish of the stuff which maybe a bit daunting as he obviously hasnt been eating well for a long time.

More snuggles to him  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »
a little bit of an improvement this morning.  he actually tried to fight me when i gave him his pill ;D.  he's not so keen on the posh cat food, had a bit of gravy but ate a few mouthfuls of kit-e-kat.  he has no interest in fish at all.  i've never had a cat that didnt go nuts at a sniff of sardines.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 19:32:01 PM »
That is brilliant and the message is to let him eat anything he fancies to get back into the way of eating.

I am sure the infection is the root cause of him not eating,

Sending lots of good vibes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 19:27:07 PM »
well he's just eaten about 40 grams of food.  not an awful lot but considering he hasnt had anything since wednesday night it's a start.  gonna try him on the recovery food in the morning.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 17:06:27 PM »
still has a temperature.  had another injection of antibiotics and an anti inflammatory and got 5 day course of Baytril.  i really hope he makes it through this.  ive already lost my dad, a cat, a gerbil and my job this year, dont wanna lose anything else  :(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 17:45:33 PM by Bonkers Mad!!! »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 15:08:16 PM »
 :naughty:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 15:04:30 PM »
that's it!  his name is Nemo!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 14:25:54 PM »
poor little Nemo - hope he'll be better soon - perhaps there is an underlying cause of the infection which needs to be rooted out
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 13:19:52 PM »
Yes and thats so sad but must be something causing him not to eat  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 13:00:31 PM »
i should shouldnt i?  it's so upsetting, he's just a baby.  he shows interest when i bring the food, just wont eat it  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 12:52:41 PM »
I feel you should give him a name and do hope the vets can help  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
well we are going back the vets this afternoon.  he seemed better on tuesday and wednesday but yesterday and today he is refusing to eat.  yesterday i tried gourmet cat food, ham, chicken and liver sausage.  today hes been offered sheba turkey in creamy gravy and lamb in delicate grav, sardines in oil, salmon paste and cat milk. the only interest he showed was in the jelly in the other cats plain old kit-e-cat and even then he only ha 2 mouthfuls.  so he's going back to see if he still has a temperature.  part of me doesnt want to give him a name in case he doesnt make it but the rest of me doesnt want him to die without a name  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 20:57:23 PM »
Thats a good start  ;D

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 20:16:14 PM »
little update.  he's a bit better today.  still not leaving his bed unless he needs the litter tray but he's eaten his breakfast and dinner and had his 2 antibiotics today.  still not purring but it's a start.  hoping for more of an improvement tomorrow

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 19:22:16 PM »
So pleased that your little boy is going to be okay  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 14:43:27 PM »
So pleased he is going to be OK  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:27 AM »
glad its nothing serious and that he has a place to call his own!

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 11:29:20 AM »
infection.  temperature 104.  he didnt seem to mind having the themometer up his bum but boy was he mad about the injection.  tried to bite me and the nurse  :evillaugh:.  got antibiotics to start tomorrow.  now i've paid out vet fees he's mine so i suppose i better get thinking about a name.  i am so relieved that it wasnt anemia, i was thinking all kinds of things this morning.  hopefully he'll be showing some sign of improvement by tomorrow.  he's back in his bed sleeping now bless him.  cost £41 which was nowhere near as bad as i thought.  i was expecting to have to pay for bloods
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:31:21 AM by Bonkers Mad!!! »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 00:26:07 AM »
Good luck tomorow and hope he can be sorted quick  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 22:36:09 PM »
that is something i have considered because he's more interested in the gravy than the actual food. 

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 21:58:10 PM »
I was wondering if he's got a sore mouth? probably a silly question.Good luck at the vet.x

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 21:41:43 PM »
dont worry Sheryl, i'll be making an appointment first thing in the morning

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 21:21:30 PM »
Please get him seen by a vet - I lost my precious Teeko to Anaemia in Sept  :(
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 19:21:42 PM »
well he actually got out of bed by himself this evening when i brought him his dinner but still only had a couple of mouthfuls.  i'm really hoping the vet will give me a bit of a discount as he's a stray otherwise i'm going to have to borrow money to feed the rest of them till thursday.  ordinarily they would but my vets has recently been taken over by a chain and none of the vets are usually see are still there

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Lethargy
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:48 AM »
Hope it's nothing untoward :hug: What a lucky boy to have someone looking out for him now though when a few months ago he had nobody.

I would also say take him to the vets you're happiest with, i think it's too long ago for it to be connected to the neutering.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 20:52:00 PM »
I hope that the vet can help him on Monday  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 20:27:04 PM »
no his ears are not hot.  compared to my other cats his gums are quite pale which is why i'm thinking anaemia.  he isnt actually showing any signs of illness.  the things that would normally concern me like not weeing or pooing or vomiting with the runs.  there's nothing unusual about what he's passing, no blood or mucus.  that's why initially i just put it down to him being depressed about being kept in for so long.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 20:06:58 PM »
I think you shoulld take him to the one who you think is the best.

Have you felt his ears? If they are hot he may have an infection

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 19:59:13 PM »
yep, gonna ring the vet on monday for an appointment.  do you think i should take him to my own vet or the vet who neutered him?  i didnt have him done at my vets because they weren't taking part in the local CP's free neutering scheme.  it's probably not even related to his op but he was fine before he had it done.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 19:54:21 PM »
I think you need to take him back to the vet.....hope he is Ok  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
Lethargy
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 19:47:36 PM »
i have had a young stray living here since the middle of october (he's in the lost and found section).  i had him neutered on the 26th oct and to start off with he seemed fine.  i decided to keep him in for a bit longer than i usually would because of the fireworks and a couple of weeks ago he started showing signs of being a bit depressed.  he stopped coming down for his dinner voluntarily but would eat some of it if it was brought to him or if we took him to it and spent more than the usual amount of time sleeping.  i thought it was maybe because he wanted to go outside so i let him but he'd just go and do his business and come straight back in to sleep some more.  since then he has just been getting worse.  shows no sign of wanting to go out, hasn't purred for a week or more and just sleeps.  he will eat and drink if i hold the plate under his nose and does shift himself if he wants to use the litter tray.  he's still cleaning himself, his coat is nice, his eyes are bright and he's weeing and pooing without any problems and there's been no vomiting.  he's between 8 months and a year old according to the vet that neutered him.  ive taken to feeding him a small amount 3 times a day, half a tin of the little gourmet cans and i'd say out of a tin and a half he probably has a tins worth and has lost a little bit of weight but not a huge amount and is weaker than he was when he first came here.  he whinges a bit if you pick him up.  i'm wondering now whether he's anaemic rather than depressed.  i wanted to ask how common is anaemia in such a young cat?

Link to CatChat