Author Topic: *warning upsetting rant*  (Read 1619 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
*warning upsetting rant*
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 19:27:08 PM »
It's shocking isn't it  :( Sadly I fear the UK can't be far behind, the vast majority of shelters/rescues are full with a waiting list and with very few homes coming forwards  :'(

I really hope we never come to that! Id be convincing everyone I know to gets cat! I really really hope not :-( xxx
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: *warning upsetting rant*
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 19:08:57 PM »
It's shocking isn't it  :( Sadly I fear the UK can't be far behind, the vast majority of shelters/rescues are full with a waiting list and with very few homes coming forwards  :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 17:34:13 PM »
The rescue name is Many Tears I think  :hug: :hug:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
*warning upsetting rant*
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 17:28:10 PM »
Oh I think it's marvellous these pages exist and that people can pull them at the last minute it just saddens me the shelter Ive been looking at is run by the local authority. I know my home city is tiny compared to US cities but I'm happy that the local authority I work for ensures animals we pick up go to a huge no kill shelter in Edinburgh. We are very very lucky.

It seems the dogs get a bit more time if they are deemed very family friendly. The cats however - well there are 128 and none of them have been in the shelter longer than a week as it lists the date they came in.... I hope that doesn't mean a week is all they get. Poor fur babies just cowering!

I've been so upset by it and I guess ignorance was just bliss! They say the problem is reducing.... I just wish it was nil!

Gill I'll check out that local rescue of yours... Sad but lovely name.

My two cats will be getting extra snuggles tonight :-(

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 17:12:31 PM »
yes in America it is more like approx 80% 'kill' shelters compared to the approx 80% 'no-kill' shelters we have over here.
..and some of the methods of euthanasia are shocking. there is footage out there of cats/dogs in gas chambers, i haven't seen it and my imagined version is bad enough.

regarding the FB pages, they do result in animals being 'pulled'  - taken from death lists and put in no-kill rescues or foster homes. before this and the internet in general all those on the death list just went off to be killed without anyone knowing.
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 16:32:40 PM »
Luckily I cant see all this stuff on FB now..........dont know why but so pleased I cant.

Its a total discrace and most of it is done by the American version of RSPCA and there are few none kill shelters.

However there are loads in rescue like over here and they do all they can to help and although I know the posting on FB is designed to try and get others to help save a life it is just mind blowingly sad that so many animals are being murdered.

There is a rescue up the road from me So many Tears.......think thats not quite right name grrrrrrrrr but the lady who runs it used to work in one of these so called shelters, she is american and came over here to rescue and save cos of whaqt she had seen and been involved in.

If you can find their website there is a very moving story of how the rescue came to be and why.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
*warning upsetting rant*
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 16:23:42 PM »
Apologies for ranting on here for the second time this week and I hope I don't upset one.... If your prone to being a sniffling wreck then please don't read on.

So a few days ago I became aware of the practice of stray dogs being put to sleep in over stretched local authorities. That in itself is very upsetting and I've been keeping an eye on animal lifeline for transport runs etc I could help with.

However my little life is lovely bubble didn't dare think about this happening to cats. Bit silly of me and ofcourse I knew it did but unless confronted by it I was pretending it didn't happen!

Until I discovered a Facebook page listing the cats being PTS to sleep daily in some of the shelters in the USA. 12 dogs and 9 cats are being PTS in a NYC shelter today.

I know it's a huge country but I just cannot believe it. There are these tragic photos of terrified cats. Cats that thankfully in the hands of a lot of good shelters here would turn into adorable pets! They cull kittens less than 8 weeks, if an animal hisses it fails the pet test... Just a huge list of things that I hope and pray happen rarely if at all here!

They actually gas animals in some states... Gas them so even at their final moments they don't know human contact!

Unbelievable. I spent a lot of time in Bolivia earlier in the year and was upset at the amount of strays there but then I realise that really Bolivia isn't all that bad. They are dirt poor. One of the richest countries in the world destroys 3-4 million Pets a year. Human beings suck and I guess I should be grateful that I live near some very fabulous all be it very overwhelmed shelters.

If I lives in driving distance of NYC I'd be one of those crazy animal hoarders... It's just heart breaking!

Anyway sorry to ramble.. I've just had such a teary day about it. The world sucks, we can't even treat fellow human beings with respect but I guess I just had no idea that these things were happening in the "developed" world!

Rant over and apologies for offloading... To think I used to not give much thought to animal rights!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat