Author Topic: Death Row Dog's  (Read 4034 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Death Row Dog's
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 21:46:07 PM »
Sorry im prattling on but wow my region has the lowest rate of strays per population by a huge margin.... A huge margin! Given that encompasses Glasgow, Edinburgh and the whole highly populous central belt I wonder what's different here!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Death Row Dog's
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 21:43:30 PM »
Actually it's just struck me the sudden rise in strays since 2008 following 11 years of a steady decline.... That will be when the economic down turn kicked in! How very sad :-(

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Death Row Dog's
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 21:40:15 PM »
Thanks for that, yes looks as though my area had just over 2,000 strays with a population of about 2.5 million so that's not too bad! Nearly half get reunited with owners I see.

7% put to sleep is a very sad figure although half of what it was in 1997 (16%) which is comforting.

I did double check at work today and we def get all our strays into rescues which made me take small comfort.

Ive read about the problems in the Republic of Ireland and saw something on the TV about it. Them having a smaller population you would think would mean they had less stays though... As Scotland seems to have! Maybe they don't neuter as much?

Thanks v much for the info - so sad to think of these dogs in kennels :-(

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline madasacatter

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Re: Death Row Dog's
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 21:24:48 PM »
Hello I have found the latest stray dog report which is published I believe every September:-

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/s/straydogsurvey/straydogsurveysummaryreport2012.pdf

A bit of bedtime reading - perhaps not, it will only give you bad dreams. 

The situation is even worse in Southern Ireland, as there is a smaller population and therefore less people to rehome a dog.
Coventry Cat Group

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Death Row Dog's
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 19:04:47 PM »
Hello fellow animal lovers,

I've came across a bit of an argument on Facebook about rescues involvement with death row dogs and it's got me thinking!

I follow Animal lifeline updates and look out for ways I can assist with transport etc but not a lot comes up in Scotland thankfully. I hadn't thought too much about the concept of 'death row dogs' and what they were... Dogs in need ofcourse but I didn't understand how they were facing being PTS.

So I've now saw a few comments about Scotland (where I live) and how things are different here. I'm not clear if they are different cos of legislation or just we are lucky. These are just comment on the Facebook debate!

So the impression I'm getting is that in England stray dogs are picked up and put in kennels. After 7 days they become the property of the local council and some councils refuse to pay for them. Dog Kennels can then dispose of them as they see fit! Is this how the death row dogs come about? Surely not?

I work for the council in Edinburgh and I work in a huge council estate, we just don't seem to have many, if any, stray dogs at all. Occasionally there may be a run away or lost dog and whilst we used to have dog wardens, If we do still have them then I've never heard or saw of them in our office. We tend to contact the SSPCA or the Edinburgh Dog & Cat home both of which have no kill policies.

We put animals in kennels when people are Homeless and we will do this for an unrestricted length of time. Not ideal but as far as I know they are good kennels and no one is ever expected to get rid of their pet.

Are things very different down south? Are these poor dogs that keep coming up strays and abandoned dogs the councils are washing there hands of?

Anyway sorry I know this is a bit random but I thought I would ask you lovely people on here!

Thank you :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat