Author Topic: April - very special young girl with diabetes HOMED  (Read 6698 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: April - very special young girl with diabetes HOMED
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »
Excellent news. You've done so well for her, Sam.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
 ;D that's fabulous news, so pleased for her.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 17:21:19 PM »
Woberful news and she looks really happy  ;D

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 14:04:11 PM »
so so so happy to report April has a new home. A lady who already has a diabetic cat came to see her and took her. she sent us a picture as she couldn't reist. after knowing her for so long it was quite emotional to see her go.
good luck April xx
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
Re: April - very special young girl with diabetes
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 16:15:21 PM »
APRIL! from when she had a stay in the pen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE4NSclgQ4M

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »
As far as I know she has never encountered children BUT she is a pretty fearless lady. Which means really it is more a matter of how old your children are. April is affectionate and loves to play but she will growl and snap if anyone 'messes' with her.

If your kids are too young to know how to act around cats to be honest she may bite and may unnerve them. She has nipped me a couple of times but never hard. She would love to have playmates though and can surprise you occasionally by actually preferring a bit of head fuss to her tea! 

Offline Slavetomyboys

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Plato, Snotty Dotty, Holly kitten and an indiscriminate number of waifs
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 18:13:34 PM »
Do you know what she's like with children?  Having somewhere separate to settle wouldn't be a problem as I often keep separates to start with.

I work in Sheffield so I can't imagine collecting her would be an issue.

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 17:23:13 PM »
yes she is. 2 units twice a day.

she has been here a while so she may well be here when you are free of kitten. we don't have any transport here (the last person intersted in April via Purrs had difflulties due to travel), although i may be able to help (i do have a car although she is somewhat unreliable). I have to say April can be grumpy and swipey with my cats so i would recommend that she has somewhere to settle before introductions are made if she is adopted to a home with other cats. we don't normally home adult females to homes with other adult females as it was our most common reason for failed adoptions, although exceptions are made. if you are intersted and want to know more please get in touch either this thread or pm me  :)

she will also come with 1 weeks free boarding at ycr per year subject to availability. so her new owner can at least get some time off from caring for a cat with medical issues. adoption fee is just £30 as she is a hard to home cat, and all costs (except food) associated with her condition will be paid for by ycr

Offline Slavetomyboys

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Plato, Snotty Dotty, Holly kitten and an indiscriminate number of waifs
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 11:57:27 AM »
Is she on twice daily insulin?  If I could re home this kitten I got landed with I could take her

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
Such a pretty girl  :Luv2: She sounds like a right character!

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
 :( lots of the people who would be excellent catparents are already full already (me too!)
April has been back at my house for a while, she has managed to escape outside (came hurtling through the gardens, jumping gates at the sound of her biscuits!) and into the fridge - goodbye cheese and she opened and licked most of a tub of margarine :sick:

i am hoping to get a video of her soon to help with rehoming. need to get her a new home before i get too attached  :) my lot are still all silently meowing to me -  "when is the scary lady going?"

Offline Slavetomyboys

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 17:59:48 PM »
I wish I had space for her but I'm at my max at the minute.  Her being diabetic doesn't phase me as I'm a vet nurse.  I just seem to attract all the waifs and then for a case like this I'm stuck :(

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 15:18:51 PM »
Thank you for info. 15 that's excellent  ;D  proof that it doesn't have to mean reduced lifespan.

Yorkshire Cat Rescue will pay for insulin and needles for the rest of her life (and the felimizole).
its a good idea about the diabetic forum, my Mum is diabetic and she felt a real and immediate bond with April when they visited at Xmas.

we may be having her back in foster for a while, she has been puesuding everyone here she is staving and has put on quite a bit of weight! my partner also misses her and really she has more chance with someone already prepared for a diabetic cat and they can come round the house to meet her.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 15:01:05 PM »
I have a diabetic here she is 15 and a half and is so stable its scarey and she is on 5 units of Insulins twice a day, once the rountine is established we have found there is a bit of leeway with injection timings, Millie is our third diabetic following on from Tiger feral and HRH Princess Sweetie

Its not to costly either but I also have 2 Hyperthyroids one domestic and one feral and we just pill and inject twice a day and it becomes routine sadly we are to faraway, I know some charities offer to pay for the insulin and needles not sure if you have offered that also have you tried any diabetic human forums that could be a match made in heaven

I am currently training my petsitter to inject Millie so she can stay at home when I am in Baku, she already does the Hyper T's and is so keen to learn and Millie is a Star for practicing on ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 14:41:03 PM »
April is still here  :(

She came out from foster and into a pen when we went away but even though she is lovely it takes a special (and unsociable??) person to take on a diabetic cat. we had a couple of people intersted, although in both instances they were homes where the cats weren't allowed upstairs and shwe would have had to immediatly get on with a new family of cats and dogs. Not ideal although i do worry i am being a bit picky as i want the best for her.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
I now use Pate or sandwich fillings and pop the tablets in that mine oncluding my ferals wallop it, thats how I do my Hyper T boy works a treat, Max Mr Hyper T likes chicken and salmon sandwich spread the best

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
 :thanks:

the old lady was a little unsure of herself so really didn't feel she could do the injections. i did say that she should come down if she wants another cat although she is still upset about April at the moment.

poor April looks like she has aged 10 years since i saw her last. she has an infection at the moment so she is at mine for a week while that clears up and then back to try and fine tune the insulin. she has settled ok but is probably needing a higher dose as she is so lethargic, she slumps down a lot and wont jump up anywhere. she isn't minding injections though and is so food orientated that i can put her tablet in her biscuit bowl with her biscuits and even though she leaves it till last she still hoovers it up herself!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 15:37:06 PM »
I am on my third diabetic cat

My first was Tiger feral, deputy leader of the Clan cats, the the Clan cats late Leader HRH pricess Sweetie and currently my forever foster from a CP branch Miss Millie nortie tortie aged 15 years young

The twice daily injections aren't that tying and once stable there is a bit of leeway for long lies, it is also easy to inject and all my 3 were food oritentated so a treat with an injectins has worked for us

Sadly we are to faraway but she is gorgeous :Luv2:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 15:34:34 PM »
Such a sad tale. I hope you were able to find another cat for the old lady.  :hug:

I can understand why twice daily injections might seem troublesome, but with practice and good timing these do become 2nd nature, I understand  :hug:

She's a beauty - those eyes ! Hope she finds a loving home very soon :Luv2:

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
April - very special young girl with diabetes HOMED
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 15:14:39 PM »
April came to us as a pregnant stray, we rehomed her kittens and she too found a home. Sadly April appeared to be very ill so her owner took her to a vet who diagnosed her with diabetes. Her owner was elderly and did not feel she could cope with injecting insulin and as April was so poorly she felt without us stepping in immediatly she would have to put her to sleep. we got her straight to our vet for monitoring and stabilising and she is moving into my house for the time being until we find a special home for her.

She is only a young cat, we guess about 3-4 years old. the vet who was monitoring her said she is quite a character and got quite attached to her - she is coming back with me tonight so i shall be able to give a more thorough description of her later. she will need a home with someone who is happy to administer twice daily injections and keep a good eye on her and her condition. Haworth Cat rescue will pay for April's medication for the rest of her life. we are also open to someone taking her on as a long term foster cat.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 13:54:20 PM by SamMewl »

Link to CatChat