Author Topic: My Bryn.  (Read 1781 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: My Bryn.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »
Vet uk sell protexin in sachets and you can mix with water and give it by syringe. Also Aviproplus is good too and helps if they are a bit off colour. I keep both in. also lectade so they don't get dehydrated.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 22:48:46 PM »
Didnt know Lacto B had been discontinued but another one you can buy online with no prescription or get from vet in smaller quantities is Protexin and you open a capsule and put half on the food a day.

Just put the capsule together again after for next day.

This plus GI food sorted Lupin out after weeks and weeks of problems

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 22:25:56 PM »
Am wondering what other signs there were, if any, of infection for the vet to prescribe ABs?  I'm sure peeps have mentioned ABs can sometimes cause dodgie tums.

Is he drinking more than usual?  Probably a bit of a leap but your post suggests he is eating a lot as well as diarrhoea and am wondering if he may be showing any other symptoms?  Has he been blood tested for Hyperthyroid?  It's not uncommon with cats of his age .....   :hug: :hug: :hug:

"The 'classic' signs of hyperthyroidism are weight loss, usually despite an increased appetite, increased thirst, increased irritability, and restlessness or even hyperactivity. Many affected cats have a rapid heart rate and develop an unkempt coat. Mild to moderate diarrhoea and/or vomiting is also quite common. "

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 22:07:05 PM »
If he's on antibiotics there's no harm in trying a probiotic to try and get things back to normal inside if the problem is definitely bacterial. I've used LactoB with great success in the past but I think it's discontinued now. You could try a probiotic yoghurt - a teaspoon a few times a day is what somebody on here was recommended by their vet.

I do hope it clears up and is 'just' a dodgy tummy rather than anything more serious  :hug:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
My Bryn.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 21:54:14 PM »
Hello everybody,i visit this site most days and i'm in need of opinions please. I have 3 rescue cats over 18,over 17 and the third maybe 16.My boy is the middle one and he's been going to the loo,very sloppy for about 3 weeks.As i wasn't really sure if he was just eating too much,and his stomach was just reacting,i thought it would settle down,but it hasn't. He isn't a cat who likes being "fiddled about with!"i asked the vet if he'd give him a jab+i had tablets to give him,as i thought that when he cleaned himself,he was re-infecting himself.I have been very lucky with him(and the others really)being as i've had him since he was 3 months old.Sorry for the long post but,just would like other views.The tabs were anti biotics.Thank you.x

Link to CatChat