Author Topic: Low white blood cell count - UPDATE: not good news  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Low white blood cell count - UPDATE: not good news
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 07:19:12 AM »
Pleased she's home safe and sound and thjat she enjoyed her prawns :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
No, I don't think she had any blood tests before we got her. She came from quite a small rescue and I don't think they would have the funds for this.

Anyway, she's fine now. Last night she devoured a bowl of roast chicken and three large prawns (a little treat cos they're her favourite thing in the world) and was the most affectionate I've ever seen her!

Her teeth were in good shape underneath all the tartar so here's hoping she won't have to go back any time soon, neither my nerves nor my bank account could handle it - her bill came to £300 yesterday! :Crazy:
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 17:29:30 PM »
Glad the dental went OK and at least those two things are ruled out  :hug: Did she have any blood tests at the rescue prior to coming to you? If so it may be worth trying to get hold of the results to see if anything has changed.

Fingers crossed she's a 'one-off' like Dawn!  :hug:

One hour to go :waiting:  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 16:33:23 PM »
At least they will be watching over her and she should be quite round by then  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 15:45:37 PM »
awww, roll on 6.30

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 15:38:59 PM »
Trust Drum to be weird!

As I was typing this, the surgery phoned. Drum's had her dental - no extractions! - but they won't let me pick her up until 6.30 - that's three hours away. :(
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 14:19:06 PM »
Great news, Jezebel. Got all our finger toes and paws crossed she's a "one-off" like Dawn  :-: :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 13:56:29 PM »
so the fiv and felv are negative and he is happy to do the dental - looking like it might just be normal for drum, as I said before my liver numbers always freak doctors out but it is apparently just the way I'm made

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 13:48:04 PM »
Thanks alll.

The tests came back negative - and I'm pretty sure this is right because (a) Drum has always been an indoor cat and (b) her sister Bass is fine.

The vet says either she's just got a low count and this is normal for her - which is unusual  but not unheard of - or it's caused by something else. Establishing what the something else is would involve more (costly!) tests which, given her state of health at the moment, he doesn't want to do.

Anyway, he's happy to give her a dental today, rather than leave it and then face having to remove bad teeth at a later stage, which would be more risky if she's got low resistance.

So, as I type, she's having her procedure. Can't wait to bring her home! I'm working from home today and it's been a nightmare trying to concentrate!

Sheilarose: Chubby looks like a big male version of Drum!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »
FIV+ results really need to be double checked with the Lab in Glasgow, Jezebel.

The ELIZA test they do at the vet is subject to quite a lot of false positive (and false negative results) so even if it comes back + for FIV, they should send the bloods to the lab for confirmation.

I personally think the ELIZA test is pretty worthless, because it is now standard practise to get any + result double checked by the Lab, but not -ve ones.

The Glasgow test isn't very expensive, but takes up to 5 working days to get the results back.

Here's my FIV+ Chubby sitting on my 7 foot "cat-proof" fence this morning!  :-[
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 13:02:01 PM by sheilarose, Reason: photo of FIV Chubby »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
I think the thing to focus on is that Drum is 'in great health and very happy'  :hug: Of course the tests and the what-ifs are going to be a cause of upset and worry but the main thing is that whatever is going on isn't affecting her at this moment and once you do find out what it causing the test results you can focus on what can be done to fix things  :hug:

Please do let us know the results as soon as you hear back  :hug: :hug: :hug:

:care: for Drum

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
poor Drum - hope the vet finds out whats wrong and its not serious.     Try not to worry  :hug: [easier said than done I know} x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Re: Low white blood cell count
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
I'm REALLY worried now.

Drum went back this morning for her dental but the vet just called me and her pre-op blood test was even worse than last time - five instead of two of the results were worryingly low. He's going to do an FIV/FeLV test as he doesn't want to do the dental without knowing what could be causing this.

I doubt it's FeLV, and if it's FIV - well, I can cope with it, she's in great health and very happy. What's worrying me is if it's not that. I have to admit to feeling a bit tearful at the moment.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 17:22:36 PM »
Agree that this is a very sensible approach, especially as Drum is OK in herself, it's not like she is poorly and that's why she was having a blood test.

:crossed: for her next test  :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 15:49:50 PM »
Yes, he did tell me what the count was and what it should be but I can't remember - possibly Drum's was 1.something and it should have been around 5, although there were two results which were worrying so that might have been the other one. Oh hell, I'm useless at remembering things! I suppose I didn't keep a mental note of it because it was a bit meaningless to me.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 15:46:14 PM »
probably a sensible approach, do they actually know what the count normally is?  I know I have a very high liver count which freaks some doctors out but that is normal for me

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 15:43:29 PM »
Finally got to speak to the vet - well, I say speak but he's one of those people that talks and talks so I didn't say much at all!  :Crazy:

He said a low white cell count is unusual, as an infection would give a high count, and he mentioned FIV and FeLV but in the end we decided that I'd take Drum back in two weeks for another pre-op blood test. If she's normal, she'll have her dental but if she's still low, he'll test her for FIV and FeLV.

I've decided I'm not going to worry until I really have to. I doubt it's FeLV, and if it's FIV then I'll cope. Drum's mainly an indoor cat so she'll be fairly safe. If it's anything else, well I'll just deal with that as and when I have to. I lost my last cat to lymphoma, and he was PTS seven days after he first showed symptoms - not much could be worse than that!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 08:40:30 AM »
No, he didn't. I rang at 6 but they'd had an RTF to deal with. I'm hoping he'll phone today.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 23:29:34 PM »
Just wondering if the vet phoned and what his/her thoughts are?  :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 17:04:20 PM »
The Catworks site is very informative -  however, I got sidetracked by all the gorgeous photos! :rofl:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 16:55:25 PM »
Yes, Gill you are right. High white blood cell count occurs when the immune system is going at full speed, as when fighting infection. So a low count suggests problems with the immune system - this is probably why the vet has mentioned FIV/FeLV  as these viruses are associated with immuno-suppressed patients.

Yes, not quite a shot in the dark and something to perhaps test for, but without further tests it's a worry you didn't need right now, Jezebel.  :hug:

However, having been through the "dreaded" FIV diagnosis with Chubby, I think I would have appreciated the opportunity to bone up on the subject before the "bad" news came because I did, unnecessarily, panic when first told.
This is why I wanted you to see the CatWorks site, Jezebel - forewarned IS forearmed if this is to be your case.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 16:43:03 PM »
Thanks both.

No Gill, I think you're right - white cell count does rise when you have an infection. But I suppose the odd thing is that Drum doesn't have any symptoms and appears totally fine. Another odd thing is that her temperature this morning was slightly low, and if she had an infection surely it would be slightly high? I'm considering renaming her Macavity (as in Macavity the Mystery Cat)!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 16:08:21 PM »
I think she could have been born with FIV but as Sheila says that really isnt a problem and sadly vets jump to all sorts of crazy conclusions before actually trying to find out.

I believe that the white cell count would be high if fighting off an infection..........now doubting myself!! or is that the red cell count....sorry, making myself stoopid!

I hope that there is nothing seriously wrong and its a minor blip  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Low white blood cell count
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 15:10:00 PM »
Nothing useful to add, just a :hug: and have everything crossed that's is not anything too serious.

Special :care: for Drum

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 15:00:20 PM »
Thanks Sheilarose, that's really helpful. Not panicking... yet!

As an indoor cat, though, I'm not sure how Drum would have caught FIV but if it is that then it explains why her sister is okay. I didn't know it was hard to pass on, I just assumed all these things were rampant - hence all the vaccinatinons.

I'm still waiting for the vet to phone, and I have a list of questions for the poor guy!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 14:40:59 PM »
Just googling around Jezebel, seems the low white blood cell count could be indicative of a number of ailments, FIV/FeLV being just two. It could be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency, or as serious as presence of tumours. The actual blood cell count will tell your vet what to look for and what further tests to perform.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Drum, but like you I feel that at her age and as an indoor only cat its highly unlikely to be FeLV.

FIV on the other hand could be something she has carried with her all her life, and shown no signs previously as FIV+ cats can usually live long and full lives without any symptoms at all, so this MAY be a more likely cause.

FIV is not readily passed on. Worth reading up while you're waiting.

The message, generally is Don't Panic!

http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/sanctuary.html

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Low white blood cell count - UPDATE: not good news
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 14:02:16 PM »
I'm a bit worried... Drum went in for a routine dental this morning and the pre-op blood test showed she has a very low white blood count. Obviously they couldn't do the dental, so I've brought her home.

I haven't spoken to the vet yet, it was the nurse who rang me (the vet's phonng later) and she said it could possibly be FeLV or FIV and recommended having a test. It was either that or wait a couple of weeks and redo the pre-op blood test to see if it's back to normal.

As far as I know, Drum has always been an indoor cat so I don't think she could have been exposed to the viruses. And, of course, she's up to date with her boosters. Also, Bass' blood test a few weeks ago was normal - wouldn't she have the virus if Drum has it?

Could it be caused by something minor, like a low grade infection?

She seems fine - eating, drinking, playing as normal but she's 12 so I'm worried it's something serious.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:28:40 PM by jezebel »

Link to CatChat