Author Topic: Poorly Cat - Doing Ok.  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
Re: Poorly Cat - Doing Ok.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 14:56:06 PM »
I hope Minty continues to well  :)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 14:34:33 PM »
Spoke to the vet surgery and we are going to keep her on her pills - she is pretty much the cat she was before this all happened. If anything her eyesight is even better and she is more alert.

I just hope she carries on like this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 14:44:13 PM »
Sending Minty loads of good vibes  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 13:51:56 PM »
Minty is doing very well now.

She is just about the cat she was before her episode.

A couple of times a day, from what i've seen, she goes back to the spot in my room where she pooped and just stares, but that aside.....she's back to eating like a horse too!

I'm very nervous obviously as this could happen again. I'll see what the vet says about keeping her on her pills when I speak to him on Monday. Monday she goes from 2 tabs to 1, so hopefully no adverse reaction.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 20:05:30 PM »
She's currently doing well. Just walked upstairs on her own....after she had her meds. She will reject them one day which will worry me.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 15:04:12 PM »
Minty is beautiful and every day is special  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 10:41:30 AM »
I should say that the picture is quite old - I only out it up to 'show' Minty. The details of the photo tells me it was 18th June 2011, so not as long ago as I thought.

She's brightened up and had a good night/early morning - waking me up as usual, but with going to the toilet twice,  I didn't mind being woken up to discover. She's jumping off the bed again, although she wants to be lifted back onto it, so whether that's her being unsure or if she has got used to me helping her, I couldn't tell you.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »
aww she is beautiful. The first 24hrs after a stroke are critical I understand and if they get through this they tend to recover well, gaining some if not all their functions back. Good to hear she has managed to toilet now. That is a good sign. I doubt she was embarassed. She likely didn't know what was happening at that point. It could be that the meds have slowed her system down a bit but I'm sure she will get back to normal.
Take it a day at a time and see how she goes. She looks very content there and I hope she soon feels more like herself.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »
I don't think the vet checked her blood pressure, at least not whilst we were there - she was 'detained' for a about 8/9 hours on Friday.

Thanks to those who have passed on good messages.......About 20 minutes ago we had wee and poo!  :wow:

Plus her steroids seem to be kicking in  :wow: She appears a bit brighter and kept waking me up overnight.....eating like a horse too - not unusual for Minty.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:15:38 AM by Miroslav »

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 06:49:12 AM »
Sorry Minty is unwell and hope she makes a full recovery  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 23:38:33 PM »
I have had a cat who had seizures, very much like a fit.

And this is not like the before or after of a fit......have to think it was stroke but have never seen a cat with one of those.

A stroke would possibly leave the affter effects as the brain is likely to have been damaged in some way as in humans but sounds like in her case it is not badly hurt and she is maybe slowly recovering...........did he check her blood pressure?

I send her all my best wishes  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 23:10:27 PM »
We didn't see what happened before she started mewing and pacing. A fit is the vets guess, although he mentioned stroke.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess, although she is confused at times and unsure. I hope her meds kick in soon.

Time for bed. Hopefully she will have a good night.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 22:59:28 PM »
Thats not a fit so something else going on  :hug: :hug:

I hope that she is OK

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 21:11:00 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

There was consideration for a stroke. The vet is a bit confused as to what has happened.

I was at work but have been told that she started mewing, pacing around in a trance, pooed on my bedroom floor then fell down part of the stairs before being taken into the living room where she paced around and ran out of puff and was all but lifeless for 48 hours. Nobody saw what started it and the vet can't be sure what has happened. She has had blood tests and everything is fine, so he believes it is monological and he gave her some steroids for the weekend and if she didn't get better, it may be time to call it a day.

She is better now. Not fully better by a long way, she's not confident on getting on or off bed/sofa it up/down stairs, but she is eating and drinking.

Vet says if she isn't weeing by Weds to take her back but doesn't think the lack of poop is an issue yet.

She is on Medrone V tablets which we have put in webbox yogurt stuff that she loves.

She seems pretty good considering what she was like. I just hope she toilets soon. Could she be embarrassed by pooing on my floor? The tray is clean and the litter she has always had.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 14:47:58 PM »
What was the episode like?

If it was a fit all these symptoms are often as a result and they wear off after a time but it could be so many things that would not show up.

If it was a fit then a clear indicator is that she would gobble food straight after if you put a dish near her.

I hope that Minty will be ok for ages yet  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 13:53:47 PM »
I'm sorry to hear Minty is unwell :(
I wonder if she could have had a stroke? Sometimes with a stroke the nerves controlling the bowel and bladder can be affected making the cat unable to move food along the bowel properly or unable to feel when it needs the toilet.
If she hasn't been eliminating properly I would suggest it is best to take her back to the vets where they can feel to determine if things are blocking up inside. They can detect if the bowel is full and also the bladder. She may need something to get things moving again.
I hope she is better soon.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
Poorly Cat - Doing Ok.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »
Last Thursday my one remaining cat, Minty, had an episode. The vet is unsure what happened but thinks she may have had a fit of some sort. Her responses were slow then she was pacing around as if blind,  but her eyes were fine on inspection, then slow responses etc.

After some tests, it was considered, although her eyes were fine, that her brain was not processing as quickly as it should. She had blood tests and physically, for an 18 year old, she's in great condition.

Minty has never been ill, not even for a day, so I think whatever happened sent her into shock. She's been slowing down over the last few months, refusing to come downstairs and when I bring her down, she doesn't want to come down for long, however when I go upstairs and spend time with her, she's delighted of the company and loving and affectionate.

She was given little chance by the vet beyond the weekend, if she did not pick up. Fortunately, and I hope it's not a false dawn, she's been eating all weekend, responding (although little purring) and is so much much brighter that we have cancelled her vet appointment as I think the distress caused by this wasn't worth upsetting her again considering how much she has picked up. She's not as affectionate, although she comes and sees me and sits/lays with me.

She has been eating Hills A/D this weekend and eaten around 3 tins. I do have a concern - despite this, she hasn't pooped all weekend and pee'd just twice, should this be of concern?

Thanks

Link to CatChat