Author Topic: Gingivitis  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
Re: Gingivitis
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 19:32:35 PM »
 ;D that's really good news.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 19:02:51 PM »
That's brilliant news  :) I sometimes think we're better off not knowing blood results with all the worry it causes!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 18:52:58 PM »
Brilliant soon the kilos will go on  ;D ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 18:49:42 PM »
Ginge went for his one week check up today and had bloods redone and came back with normal results so no ongoing treatment needed. Liver enzymes back to normal so must just have been as a result of his gingivitis. :)

Also put on weight - now at 3kg from 2.9kg, which is still half the weight of my other 2!  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 16:06:52 PM »
Glad the confinement wasn't as bad as you feared! Good that he has his appetite back and would imagine that his mouth will be tender still, hopefully he'll go from strength to strength now  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 15:09:15 PM »
Its sad that the other two wont tollerate him and part of his smell will be because of his mouth and transferred to his coat by grooming but also that he lives rough.

When Sasa came back after living rough for 6 months and just poppin in to eat she smelt pretty bad too but this gradually improved but the real improvement has come after her mouth was sorted.

It does sound that his eating will definately improve and yes his mouth will still be sore.

Sending lots of at a distance cuddles to Ginger  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 15:00:40 PM »
Blue he is :)

The weather dictated the end result last night and he stayed in - he was happy if  he was out the cage and someone was fussing him but not really practical.  Kept him in until lunch time - he's gone from barely eating to can't keep him full.  Just let him out the cage, opened the doors to get some air in and he wouldn't go out!  Contrary animals!

Keeping him as indoor/outdoor isn't an option really sadly, our two weren't overly happy with him inside and he absolutely stinks!  Never had a neutered cat that smells as much - not just a faint aroma but really overpowering smell-him-wherever-you-are-in-the-house smell.  So, he's got his shed set up again for him, which is sheltered enough, and food on demand at the kitchen door!  Just no indoor access. 

He's still not eating normally - as in, he's chewing slightly on one side, but he may still be sore.  Managing his food just fine - lack of teeth isn't holding him back :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 23:42:28 PM »
OMG he must be coloured blue  :hug: :hug:

Sad he is getting so stressed and hope that he can relax and sleep

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 18:56:21 PM »
He's got an original name.....Ginger .....bet you can't guess his colour  :rofl:

He's home and settled very unhappily in his crate, having demolished half a can of applaws. He's very unhappy inside the house though and 2 resident cats are unhappy that he is inside the house and have gone upstairs in a huff.   Very unusual that they are supporting each other against the interloper!  They normally like him but as long as he is outside!

His patience ran out in the vets and on the way home and he was growling and hissing - never ever heard him do that before so he must be stressed.  If he doesn't settle I will have to let him out - doesn;'t look like it is going to be too cold overnight and he will settle far better out the house.  I knew he didn't like being in but had underestimated how stressed it would make him. Had feliway on for him but not having an effect.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 16:31:24 PM »
So pleased tht he has come thro the op well and he is one lucky chappie to have you looking after him, I so hope that his bloods come back normal at the next check and now his mouth is sorted he will be able to eat better  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Whats his name?

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 14:52:54 PM »
No, they don't know whether it's an underlying condition or just something that is raised because of his gingivitis and general health at moment.  If his bloods still show it next week then will have to see what treatment is needed.  Poor boy.  He's fallen on his paws with us but he's also lucky that I can afford (just) to look after him. Makes you think how many others struggle and aren't as lucky. 

Just about to get his new home set up - it's going to be fun as last time he was treated for his eye (a rescue looked after him for 2 weeks as he was wilder then!) he didn't know how to use a litter tray.  :sick:  Putting his usual bed in the cage with him so it will smell of him :D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 13:19:53 PM »
Pleased to hear the op went OK, did they say what could be causing the raised liver results? I'll say it agan, he's a lucky boy to have you looking out for him  :hug:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 13:21:43 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 13:14:11 PM »
Had his op this morning and got through it okay.  Opted to have bloods taken before he went in as he has lost weight quite quickly (he's a proper skinny minny now, used to be sturdy!) and showed he had razed liver enzymes so was given extra fluids in the op.  I think he has lost all his back teeth - they were trying to save his canine teeth but not sure if they managed to.  He's currently on a drip and to collect him at about 6pm.  He has to go back in a week and will have his bloods redone to see if his liver enzymes are still raised - if they are may need more ongoing treatment.

Just glad he has got through it.  Borrowing a dog crate from someone at work so will have him in conservatory overnight - just need to get some heat in there for him as can go cold at night.  Will put blankets and a snuggly bed in the crate so am sure he will be fine. :)

Without the extra bloods and fluid it would have been £170 so am expecting more like £250 now. :(  If anyone sees me bidding on the auction remind me of this bill  :rofl:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 23:03:05 PM »
Wishing for good news for you. :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 21:55:58 PM »
Willl let you know. I'm really quite worried for him.  Whatever happens, he won't suffer. :)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 18:09:17 PM »
Sorry to hear he has stopped eating  :( hope all goes well for him tomorrow  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 17:55:45 PM »
Hope it's nothing serious  :hug: Will be thinking of you both tomorrow, please let us know how he gets on  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 17:36:36 PM »
Sending lots of good wishes for him and hope he is OK  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 17:34:59 PM »
Thanks guys.  Bit of an update - he's stopped eating and is suddenly looking old, raggy and tired and isn't meowing any more so rang the vets and obviously this isn't normal so he's had his appt brought forward to tomorrow morning and may be put under sedation then to see what is going on.

Poor little boy. :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 23:53:41 PM »
Sasa was more severe than that and while she was all run away last year she damaged, broke or lost teeth.

She needed to have all teeth except 3 removed and her mouth is now fine, My vets have what they call a dental package at £180 which covers everything, removal of necessary teeth, abs injection of convenia, metacam injection for pain, blood test proir to op as she was 14 yrs old and going on a drip.

She is a semi feral and they didnt get paid for the damage she inflicted on the vet and two nurses!

He will need to be kept safe and warm after the op and not allowed to roam for 24 hrs at least.

Dawn it is better if they lose an odd tooth if it saves them from pain and helps them to eat  :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 23:04:08 PM »
I think it will very much depend on the severity of the gingivitis as to what treatment will be given, it could be anything from antibiotics and steroid injections to removal of all the teeth. Diet has been found to make a difference in some cases and is something you could try, if I remember correctly grain free and fish free wet/raw.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 17:02:59 PM »
will be watching with interest, our darling amber needs work but we don't want her to loose teeth

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 17:02:13 PM »
Don't know much about gingivitis but Mr Stray is a very lucky boy to have you looking out for him  :hug: I would guess the minimum they would do would be a scale and polish, I just looked at Lu's teeth (he had one done a few montsh ago) and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable red line on his gums which there was before but can't see how a scale and polish alone could improve the gums?

If he does have to be kept in could you borrow a dog crate to go in the shed? A hot water bottle and a blanket will make things nice and cosy for him.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Gingivitis
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 16:46:31 PM »
Took our stray cat to the vet yesterday as he has been having trouble eating - throwing his mouth to one side and only chewing on one side.  He's obviously been a pet at some point as was very relaxed the whole way, other than he was shredding the paper we put in the carrier.  Anyway, he's about 8 years old and the vet said his teeth are okay, not great but okay, but he seems to think the problem is gingivitis.  Felt awful as his mouth was covered in blood - vet said he probably bit on something either whilst shredding the carrier or when eating.  He's been given a three in one injection to give him some antibiotics and some other things and is to go back in a week.  If his mouth has cleared up a bit then he is to be kept in for the day and have some dental work.

No idea what this will do for him - I was so busy feeling guilty at the state of his mouth that I didn't listen.  He did say it might require ongoing treatment once this initial treatment is done. 

Can anyone enlighten me further on what may happen next for him - he definitely didn't mention removal of teeth although when he is under anaesthetic I guess that may change.  The problem for us is we haven't really got place to keep him inside if he needs to stay in - he lives outside in a kennel (or the shed in another kennel in winter) so could do with knowing what to expect.

I didn't even ask for costs.  Good job I remortgaged recently and have some spare set aside for emergencies.

Karen
x

Link to CatChat