Author Topic: Just after some reassurance - lump on Schmoos back  (Read 4649 times)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
Re: Just after some reassurance - lump on Schmoos back
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 17:30:46 PM »
Its another 2 week course of tablets but I'm hoping it will clear up quickly though, and to be honest if its looking good after a few days then I might de-cone her and just keep bathing it until the end of the course.

I do feel bad that shes been in the cone for so long, and was going to just take it off, the only reason I didnt was that it actually doesnt seem to bother her that much at all, so its probably best kept on especially if there are nasty bacteria lurking - the last thing I need is for her to get a tummy upset or something  :sick:

She occasionally gets mildy annoyed when her ears itch or something, but we give them a good scratch, and a nice head rub, and then shes happy again.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 17:10:53 PM »
Oh poor Schmoo.  :hug: :hug:
It must be getting you both down.

Have they said how long she's expected to be on the anti b's for ?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 15:29:15 PM »
Just my own opinion but the longer they wait before removing this the older Schmoo will be and the longer wearing a terrible cone and I just think that its cruel for her to be like this for so long.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 15:02:00 PM »
Well we are still going on this...   :tired:

The vet (saw a different one this time, who is very business like, but seems to know her onions) are still saying surgery is really a very last resort for Schmoo, I think the combined age and complex medical history (she does have a slight heart murmur) for our little old furball is making what would already be a bit of a risk, quite a bit higher.

They took a swab from the cyst this last time though and sent it off for 'culturing' - ick! However good news was they got growth and ID'd the bacteria (didnt say what it was to me) and now are giving us a targeted antibiotic rather than a general one, which should knock this thing on the head. (Paws crossed!)

Schmoo is still coned, but seemingly ok about it all (I think she secretly enjoys all the pampering shes getting!) so I am going with it for now - if she starts acting out then I will rethink, but while shes still being ok about it, I think its worth a shot if this might sort it.......

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 07:54:32 AM »
Chelsea got through two anesthetics at 18 and a major op with HyperT and kidney problems. 
The main thing they need to do is test Schmoo's heart to ensure she can cope with it.

I'd go with Gill - have a think about a second opinion

:hug: :hug: 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 20:26:36 PM »
When Kocka had her op she was about 18yrs old hyperT and with kidney probs and this was about 10 yrs ago and anesthetics are even safer now if the vet is competent.

If you have doubt about your vets get a second opinion  :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 15:55:01 PM »
Thanks Ladies  :hug:

Sheila, I'd like to hope they arent stringing us along, but I am starting to wonder to be honest. They charge £20 just for an appointment and then its been about another £20 on top for each lot of a/b's...

I know they are very reluctant to do anything involving aneastetic, because of her hyperT and liver issues, but I cant see another option either at the moment. Its difficult though as shes not behaving like shes annoyed, I just feel so bad seeing her in the little cone for so long! And slightly selfishly, its becoming a bit of a pain having to stop what I am doing 3 times a day to feed and sort her out etc..

I'm going to book her in on Saturday morning and see what they say. I'll let you know how we get on..

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 14:35:53 PM »
Agree with Gill, this should have been removed long before now.  :(

It's now got to the point where surgery is the only option, poor Schmoo has suffered long enough.  :(

Are the vets stringing this out to get more money off you? I've had unscrupulous vets do this to me in the past and it is outrageous, but more common than you think  >:(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 13:45:39 PM »
I am so sorry this is still ongoing but was afraid it would happen like this.

There is another way to deal with this and the vet should have come to this conclusion before now and that is for the cyst to be removed.

That was the only way Kockas healed up and because the wound was stapled there was no need for a cone.

If this had been summer, then poor Shmoo would have likely suffered from fly strike cos the would was open all the time. You really dont want to get to that point  :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 13:25:29 PM »
Happy New Year everyone - I hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

Just a little update from us. Sadly we are *still* doing battle with the cyst that will just not go away  :tired:

We ran the 2 week course of the new a/b (marbocyl I think its called) but it was still oozing, so another 2 weeks worth were given by the vets. I'm now 4 days away from finishing that, and still the bloomin' thing wont seal up  >:(

Poor little Schmoo has now been coned for over a month, and despite being a complete saint about it all still and not kicking off, I do think shes getting a bit fed up.

The advice on caring for the 'hole' was amended yet again at the last vet visit (2 weeks ago now) - I was just to wash over it when its seeping clear/blood. If its cloudier, then I had to squeeze it out as thats the nasties. So, I've been doing that and it seems really changeable.

We went through a few days of clear sticky stuff, and I thought 'yay its scabbing over' so I very gently washed still, so as not to disturb it healing. Then a couple of days later the lump filled back up and the cloudy yellow ooze started again, and we were back to square one......sigh.....

So I think its going to be back to the vets on Saturday again - grrrr! I wish there was another way to deal with this, something quick and easy!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 18:58:26 PM »
Thanks ladies :)

Well she's now on another antibiotic, and I'm still to wash it, but not to squeeze any more! Got 2 weeks worth of tablets so hopefully they will do the trick (famous last words!). As the cyst was there undisturbed for so long (at least a year) she thinks it might always be there in some way, so having it seal with a little lump left isn't anything to worry about.

Vets said as she's looking pretty healthy otherwise they didn't want to try anything else just yet. Because of all her other issues surgery is still a very last resort option, so fingers crossed these tabs sort things out!

Oh and she got in the carrier with the cone ok, we have a fairly big box so I checked she could turn round in it before we left :)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 15:54:48 PM »
I'd remove the cone before she goes in her basket. She's unlikely to feel comfortable enough to groom it while she's in there, and she may not want to come out at the vet!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 15:31:48 PM »
I am sorry this is going too well but think you should discuss with the vet the removal of the cyst cos this was the only way Kockas was cleared and she was 17/18 at the time and was stapled so no cone.

The staples were left alone by her and the removal was a piece of cake with their special tool and she didnt even flinch.

Good luck tonight  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 15:12:55 PM »
Good luck at the vet tonight, it does sound as though the infection has returned, but great that she's not hot or behaving differently.  :crossed:

I wonder if they will want to keep her in for observations.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 15:04:04 PM »
That is a really good sign

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 14:50:51 PM »

Shes actually been normal behaviour-wise, which has re-assured me things cant be too bad just yet. Shes been tucking into her food ok, going to the bathroom fine, and despite 'the cone of shame' shes been acting pretty normally :)

She might be a little dehydrated as shes not drinking too much with the cone on, but she has wet food 3 times a day, and I've been adding a little extra water to it, just in case.

She did eat a tiny bit less at breakfast this morning, but not enough to make me worry, and her ears havent been too warm either.

I'm hoping by getting her to the vet before things get any worse, we can sort it (fingers crossed!).

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 13:01:48 PM »
Oh no. Poor Schmoo.
How is she feeling in herself??

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
Looks like I got my hopes up too soon :/ We are going back to the vets tonight - its still oozing clear fluid most of the time, but starting on Saturday night it began to smell a little 'off' and now the liquid has taken on a yellowy green tinge, sometimes with a bit of blood and it is a bit smelly :/

I dont think the antibiotics are working too well, or the steroids are having a bigger effect on the healing than we thought. Or my nursing technique is just really rubbish.. :(

Either way, its not going to plan, so its off to the vets for another checkup - getting her in the carrier with the cone on should be interesting!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 14:12:40 PM »
Thanks Louise, I'll take a look at that :)

So far though, the hibiscrub (got a bottle in Boots!) seems to have started helping. Its still oozing a little, but more like (TMI!) clear bloody scabby type stuff, and alot less of the cloudy yellow gunk.

I'm still cleaning it 3 times a day, but shes still acting fine and its certainly not getting any worse, so I'm going to carry on as we are for a bit longer. The vet did say as shes on steroids (v mild dose now, but still) that it will slow the healing up, so it might just be that.

Hopefully we are on our way though!

Poor little thing - shes being soo good about it all - I'm amazed at how placid shes been about the whole thing! We have a regular routine now, 3 times a day she gets the cone taken off, she'll have her dinner (watched at all times), nip to the litter tray, and then its onto my lap for face fusses and head-rubs (which she loves LOL!) before the cone goes back on - with no hassle at all - and I have a cleanup!  :Luv2:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »
Helen I had a quick look on the net to see if tea tree oil was safe (it isn't) but did find this link which may be useful.
http://www.holisticat.com/aromatherapy.html

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »
I spoke to them last night, and they have said to give it a couple more days and then if its still oozing at the same rate to pop back in for them to have a look at it.

They think maybe the antibiotic jab she had isnt as effective now, as shes had it a few times before so might be a bit immune to it.

She also said I can get something called Hibiscrub, which I can dilute down and use to bathe it instead of the salt water, so I'm off to Boots at lunch to see if I can get some of that - its an antiseptic that gets used in hospitals etc, but is ok for pet use apparently.

Fingers crossed it will do the trick!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 22:31:20 PM »
I would ring your vet and speak to him and ask for advice  :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
Thanks Gill, nice to know it might not be down to my rubbish nursing skills!

I have a feeling this might end in a removal, but will wait and see what the vets think. If its a case of waiting for the antibiotic to kick in thats fine, I'm just worried about leaving it like this if its meant to look better by now..

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »
Yes and had the same probs as you.

Kocka never wore a cone though and she cleaned it herself.

I suspect the abs will be the thing that gets rid of it but Kocka had to have it removed in the end.

Vets seem to be so reluctant to remove them but until they do it is likely to keep coming back.................just like the one on my back!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »
Hi All

Just a quick update. We took Schmoo to the vets last week, and they cleaned out the cyst and gave her an antibiotic jab. We also got a cone for her head, which shes been wearing since Friday.

One is not amused about this at all, bless her, although shes actually being remarkably calm about wearing it - mainly I'm getting the big, sad 'why are you being mean to me?' eyes all the time  :-[

I was told to keep cleaning the wound with salt water, and squeezing out any more nasties that build up ( :sick:) which I have been doing all weekend. However it just keeps refilling  :tired: and isnt really looking any better...

I'm waiting for the vets to get back to me as Im not sure how long this sort of thing should take, or if this is normal or not. I dont know if Im just not getting it all out or not, I'm being fairly firm with it, but I dont want to squeeze too hard as she yelps if I do :/

Has anyone else dealt with one of these at all?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 19:05:38 PM »
Boil the water and add a very small amount of salt and let it cool, then wash.

I think despite the germs in the mouth licking will keep it clean but safest to get vet advice as you are  :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 18:47:35 PM »
Ok, I need a bit more advice...

The cyst finally popped ( :sick:) last Friday, just watery fluid and luckily I was there so wiped it off with just warm water. But the lump started to refill again, only to pop again yesterday...nice....

I'm booking her in at the vets tomorrow, to get it checked, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to try and keep it clean?

I cant stop her washing herself as its accessible, but can I do anything or should I just leave it? It's not looking too bad, just a bit pink and weepy, but Im assuming that's pretty normal?

Thanks!

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 22:22:21 PM »
Brilliant news.
Just duck  :sick:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 20:47:35 PM »
Phew! That's good to hear, although I hope it goes down of it's own accord rather than bursting  :sick:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 20:26:40 PM »
Thanks all :) The vet agreed its still a cyst, just getting bigger and it might pop on its own  :sick: eeeww!

They don't like to lance unless absolutely needed as that can risk infections, so we are just to keep an eye on it and if she starts showing discomfort we will pop back.

Seems like they are quite common though, thx for all the supportive comments it really helped x :thanks:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 20:27:31 PM by HelenD »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 17:49:03 PM »
Yes Sasa has one on her tummy and Gareth said to leave it as its not causing any problem.

Also my late Kocka had one on her side for many years and it finally burst and it had to be removed.

I also had one on my sholder at the back and that grew a lot and became very painful and had to be removed!

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 17:10:58 PM »
I'd take Schmoo to the vets just to give you peace of mind  -  Chelsea had one on her back as well and the vet was fairly relaxed until she seemed more bothered (seemed to irritate her if it was touched) and then he just squeezed it like a giant spot...grey puss everywhere and a couple of days of antibiotics sorted it.
Do stand back if they squeeze it though. :rofl:   

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 16:45:28 PM »
Have no experience but have everything crossed that there's nothing untoward going on and it's simply a case of the cyst growing slightly, do let us know how she gets on at the vets  :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
Just after some reassurance - lump on Schmoos back
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 15:59:09 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry Ive been away from here for ages, but its actually only because Schmoo has been doing ok. She still has the odd down day foodwise, but aside from that shes eating well and we have been lucky and not had to drag her back to the vets for some time for anything. Until now.

A good while ago we noticed a pea sized lump on her back, towards her hip area and a couple of inches away from her spine. It was about the sized of a pea, smooth, and moveable. You couldnt see anything if you parted the fur over it, you could only feel it when you stroked her for example. During one of our many trips to the vets we asked them to look at it and they said it was just a cyst - nothing to worry about. So we have pretty much ignored it since then, you can still feel it when stroking her, but we just got used to it being there.

Last night however she was on my lap as usual, getting some fuss, when I noticed it felt more prominant than normal :/ I parted the fur to see if I could see anything, and theres a broadbean sized lump of skin visible now. Of course I immediately freaked out/got upset. I've since calmed down and am trying to tell myself its nothing bad, the cyst has jsut grown, but theres that tiny voice saying 'what if'....

We are off the vets tonight to get it checked, but has anyone else had 'cyst' experience? Im just worried that it stayed the same for ages (must be a year at least) and has only just grown?

Thanks
H

Link to CatChat