Author Topic: Cat's mucky bum  (Read 2176 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Cat's mucky bum
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 19:01:58 PM »
And good luck :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Cat's mucky bum
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 19:01:44 PM »
I would agree with everyone on the wet wipes front!

And yes from what you've said its prob his weight. My boyf's cat has the same problem which he was puzzled by until I gently pointed out his cat couldnt reach his bum to clean it cos his belly was in the way!

There are lighter foods you could try feeding him. My friends chubby cat is on a diet, the vet suggested no wet food as its easier to wolf down and also a lazer pen for high impact excercise! Worth trying :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline walesgang

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tips, Henry,Squeak,Grey
Re: Cat's mucky bum
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 16:24:23 PM »
Thanks everyone. Grey is short haired. I will have a go with wet wipes (wish me luck!!)  :sick: :-:

I suspect that his weight is the main problem stopping him from sorting himself out. We are trying to sort this out - the problem is that before we took him on he was dependant on scounging food - he wolfs his food down at a rate of knots and I suspect that if he gets the chance for any bonus food.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 15:33:11 PM »
Any of these idea is far far better than the alternative....our guest cat has just  :censored: on the floor downstairs, bounded up the stairs, wiped her own bum on the carpet then  :censored: again. She eight so not a baby and has her own tray.
 >:(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 13:42:44 PM »
Afraid Marmalades sister Sasa also suffers from this and cant do anything about it as cant get close enough. Her trousers have just been trimmed while under anesthetic and are now short and curly! But are clean at present.

I suspect that trimming maybe the only way

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »
I've always used baby wipes although sometimes when Schui was runny nosey/snotty and it used to dry on his paws etc during the night then I had to use wet kitchen roll and sometimes a bit of soap to rub in to clean it off.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 23:07:47 PM »
I'm with Tiggy's mum. Baby wipes and a comb are the equipment we use for Lady Marmalade!!! To say she protests would be an understatement!!!! I find kevlar gloves handy!!!!
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 22:31:24 PM »
Is he longhaired or shorthaired (he's the one you didn't post a pic of I think?!)? If he's longhaired then you could trim the fur around his bum area so that it's not as hard for him to keep clean.

My cats are shorthaired but if they ever have tummy troubles and have dirty bums (or feet!) I used unscented babywipes to clean up. They don't particularly like it but it's not as full on as a bath  :naughty:

I find the Huggies 'pure' ones are excellent, just the right thickness and moistness - they are also amazing at getting marks out of carpets, cleaning up accidents/spills, cleaning paintwork - I have a pack in every room  :evillaugh:

Offline walesgang

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tips, Henry,Squeak,Grey
Cat's mucky bum
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 17:09:47 PM »
Grey has been suffering from a mucky bum. I don't know if it's because he is a bit overweight and cannot reach very well. Has anyone else come across this; if so, what would you suggest? I am not sure he would be over keen to have his bum washed by us. He is a former farm cat with whom we need to take things a step at a time.

Thanks for your thoughts

Link to CatChat