Author Topic: Advice on letting a cat out for the first time  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Frank

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Frank
Re: Advice on letting a cat out for the first time
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 21:12:13 PM »
Frank is 14 weeks, neutering is just around the corner. I spoke to vet and he agreed that lead training then small trips in garden is the way to go for Frank.

He went out twice today on lead, he stays very close to me and we didn't get very far along the garden path before he turned round and made or the house.

I think leads/walking jackets are great.

Good luck, it's a big adventure for little moggies.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 23:16:17 PM »
My Kitten (nearly 8mths) has just started going out and she doesnt go far. Shes been trapped *cough* too lazy to find her way out of the odd garden with high fences which has seen me zoom around my block (i'm in a cul-da-sac with another one joined on the back of ours) in my car, in my pyjamas shouting her and trying to help her and my both times my 2yr old Peanut has rescued her  :evillaugh:
I had the added advantage of Evie starting to explore the garden during warmer times, so i was able to sit with her most times and generally she never left the garden until a couple of weeks ago.
I am also a bit naughty  :shify:  :shify: on all of my cats/kittens first trip into the garden either i, or OH will make one short loud noise. A bang or something at the bottom of the garden. If they run back into the house, i am happy that they know its their safe place and that until their confidence grows they wont go far away for a while (infact the garden is usually alot to explore for kittens for quite a while lol) and when i got Peanut, he was in a harness at first, just like Gill has Lupin  :)

Now Evie goes a few gardens away, i prefer that she is out late evening (she is not allowed out all night, where as the adults occasionally do) as the roads near me are quieter if not completely empty. I know she doesnt like strangers or noisy situations. I follow her and keep track of her  :shify: but my protective stalking of her is getting less and less  :evillaugh:
shes a baby at home - but cats are well tuned outside!
You'll find your own balance and knowing your area you'll know when to chose the safest time for him to be unleashed in to the big world  :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Spirit
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 22:17:56 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys it's put my mind at ease x

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
its easy to worry isn't it!
as long as he is hungry when you first let him out there should be absolutly no problem. if you stay with him when he is first loose and have the door open so he can bolt indoors if theres a loud noise you will find he probably makes sure he gets his bearings and will slowly explore in his own time.

ask about getting him microchipped when he is being neutered. most vets will be happy to do this and there should be no problem with his body weight. our kittens are m-chipped when they are 1 kilo (roughly 10 weeks old), its much easier if they are under anasthetic - no wriggling or pain.

its not only responsible getting him neutered first for the local cat population but unneutered toms are the most likely to get lost. where your home is can take a back seat when there's girlcats to follow  ;)
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline st84741

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Chloe
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 14:27:51 PM »
Just had to say hello as I recognised the postcode immediately. I lived at number 47 for 18 years and my mum was there for 46 years so I know the area very well. I assume you are worried about Colyers lane. I now live in Bucks and live directly on a road just as busy. I let my latest cat out first thing on a very cold morning without having fed her first, she did not stray far before seeking food and warmth indoors. I have also heard that putting a little butter on their paws before letting them out means they sit outside grooming and thus getting their bearings before wandering too far. If possible a florescent collar would also be helpful.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 19:36:45 PM »
I think the key is to let them out for the first time when hungry and also in the morning so if he does go wandering you have plenty of daylight hours to look for him.

With regards the main road, I personally don't think there's necessarily any more danger from a main road - a 30mph road that has heavy traffic and lots of gardens that he might be in an out of could pose more of a danger than a main road that has no 'attraction' to him.

The cat proof fencing Heather linked to is a very good idea but also very expensive, there are DIY options (buying the bits from builders merchants) that attach to existing fencing if that's something you would consider.

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 19:08:11 PM »
Thanks once again Gill

Lupin is gorgeous and looks very dashing in his jacket x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 17:23:25 PM »
Here are links to Lupin in his jacket.........I asked the lady who makes them to make Lupins with a thinner strap for round the neck cos thought they were a bit wide for him.............it works great.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,40671.msg717480/topicseen.html#msg717480

http://www.mynwoodcatjackets.moonfruit.com/#                where I got Lupins jacket from

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 16:49:03 PM »
Yes I know a brill site and its where I got Lupins jacket from. Will come back with pictures of Lupins and the link  ;D

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 16:02:55 PM »
Thanks Gill

I intend to get him a walking jacket and lead for the first few times that he goes out into the garden just because it really is a worry for me.

He has recall to both his name and bag of his kitten treats being shaken so that's positive that he already does that.

My mum is trained to microchip but vet advised that we get a bit more body weight on him first but will def be done before he goes out.

Our neighbors are cat friendly as quite a few of them have cats at least they won't mind him being in their gardens if he chooses to go that far

Thanks for your advice and will let you know how it goes.

Can you suggest a good site to get the walking jacket etc x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 15:04:06 PM »
Its a real problem with young cats and wont let mine out without a walking jacket and a lead cos cant afford to cat proof........garden too big.

If you really want to let him out, do not feed him first and try to teach him first something that will bring him running, like a food box being rattled and would be good if he knows his name.

Do not take him out but let him see if he wants to use the flap or open door so he can walk out if he wants, if he doesnt want thats fine and just let him move back into the house and maybe he will decide he wants to be an indoor cat but I doubt it!

Also if he does take those tentative steps out go with him and supervise so that he can return if he wants.

I havent looked up your postcode cos all roads are potentially killers but will help if there are loads of gardens for him to investigate as long as the people are OK.

He should be chipped and this can be done the same time as the neuter which most vets prefer.

Good luck with Spirit  ;D ;D

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 22:16:17 PM »
Young cats do tend to go exploring, hopefully he wont get as far as the main road. A friend of mine lives near a main road and she has got Purrfect fencing around her garden so her cats are safe and can stay in her garden. She sadly lost her cat she had before on the A20 :(

http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 22:18:01 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
Advice on letting a cat out for the first time
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 21:55:46 PM »
This isn't going to happen for some time as Spirit is yet to be neutered (and there's no way he is going to add the cat population) and because I am an overprotective Mum I don't want him to go out at the start of winter. But it is something that is playing on my mind.

Just wondering what you guys think is the best way to start letting a cat out into the world, ideally I wanted him to be an indoor cat but our dogs have access to garden all day and in order for him to be an indoor cat it would mean depriving them of their dog flap.

We have a fairly large garden with lots to keep him entertained within in and we intend to add a few bits and pieces to make it more fun for him. It has other gardens on all sides so if he ventures further he has plenty to keep him entertained, it's just there is a main road fairly near by, heres my postcode to give you an idea of how close on the map DA8 3PX.

I suppose my main fear is him getting run over and just wondering if he will actually go that far to the main road and as I said before what ideas you lovely people have for first letting him out.

Thanks in advance x

Link to CatChat