Author Topic: flea prevention vaccination  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: flea prevention vaccination
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
We use this on all our cats and have no issues with fleas and even use the tablet form for our 3 Border Collies and I have a large feline family than most
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline st84741

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Chloe
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »
Hi. My cat Chloe has been spending a lot of time at the vets recently due to blocked anal glands (now removed). Scooting on the carpet and over-grooming were two of the visible signs. On her most recent visit, for a post-op check-up and annual booster injection, the vet commented on the over-grooming and inspected her skin. He came to the conclusion she has dermatitis, possibly as a result of being allergic to flea bites. She also has the 6 monthly program flea injection. He explained it does not kill fleas just makes them sterile. I originally stopped using the spot-on because it seemed to really sting her and i noticed a sore patch on her skin afterwards. So I now have a large tin of flea spray to kill any fleas still lingering in the house. However I am now in two minds whether to return to the spot-on, even though she hates it so much and runs a mile.  I will wait to see if the can of flea killer does its job in which case I will continue with the 6 monthly flea injection. Swings and roundabouts, I think.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
Don't have any issues with fleas using this and I know it makes fleas sterile

We have 2 who are allergic to fleas and over groom and neither had an issue now

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
Program doesn't kill the fleas, it just messes with their sex lives !!
Most people I know who use program also back it up with a spot on treatment.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
All my ferals, pedigrees and domestics get the injections and it is good for the ferals - I have the odd 40ish of them sharing my home  :shocked: and as they are so good at hiding things the second health check just helps peace of mind

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 20:33:01 PM »
thanks ... it was about £38 at vets this morning - which includes the advertised 20% off so obviously normally considerably more expensive.  decided against it for the girl we took this morning.  she doesn't like having monthly spot on but its do-able and less expensive, and for some reason i feel easier about a spot on than injecting them with something.  still considering it for my feral lady who mostly won't allow me to touch her at all.

i do love this web site - brilliant resource - and such lovely people to help  :thanks:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 20:24:09 PM »
We have used Program for 20 years with no adverse effects or reactions and we have no fleas and it also works on Ticks - we live in a very rural location and have sheep and deer and the tick does attach it to the cat/dog and then turns grey and falls off

Hope the visit went well

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 15:57:40 PM »
can't remember the details but something to do with the flea having to bite the cat before it taking effect (can't remember if it kills or sterilises them?) and she basically said its better they don't get bitten in the first place which makes sense, although that said I was very happy with it when I lived in London, it was about £30 then (10 years ago)

Yes that is right and there used to be a spot on version that also needed fleas to bite and Kocka had to change to something else cos she was allergic to the flea bites.

Sadly the vets get cheap deals from companys to use their products and all the little £ signs start blinking.

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »
thanks ... and thanks for your quick reply.  we have booster appointment with vet this morning so were keen to find out more before that.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »
can't remember the details but something to do with the flea having to bite the cat before it taking effect (can't remember if it kills or sterilises them?) and she basically said its better they don't get bitten in the first place which makes sense, although that said I was very happy with it when I lived in London, it was about £30 then (10 years ago)

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:57:49 AM »
do you know why not so keen Dawn?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
I used to use it when we lived in london, my vet now isn't as keen

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 21:47:22 PM »
thanks guys.   no idea how much this vet charges other than its offering 20% off.    if its safe and effective it could save a lot of stress.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 21:34:18 PM »
Its called Program we use it on all the Clan cats and the dogs get it in tablet form it works brilliantly and because its 6 monthly your cat gets an extra check over every year and is worth everypenny - we pay aboyt £30.00 for the injection

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 21:28:17 PM »
Could it be Program? Think Liz uses it with great success for her lot

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
flea prevention vaccination
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 20:28:18 PM »
my Mog has got her reminder from the vet to go for her annual booster.  her vets is also offering discount on a flea vaccination that they say lasts 6 months.  i'd not heard of it before.  does anyone know if its a good idea / safe / effective etc.   a couple of my cats are difficult to round up for monthly frontline treatment so i'm wondering if this might be a solution.

Link to CatChat