Author Topic: Crazy Rio!  (Read 3533 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Crazy Rio!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 22:03:26 PM »
Hope it's not heading in the bullying direction  :hug: Defo try and wear him out with a Da Bird / Da Mouse. When Riley gets a bit heavy with Lu I often give him a Da Mouse session to burn some of his energy off and give Lu a reprieve from chasing and wrestling!

I hope so too! Had him playing with the door bird earlier and he is currently curled up on my bed and nina sleeping in living room so at least she isn't hiding :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Crazy Rio!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 18:39:35 PM »
Hope it's not heading in the bullying direction  :hug: Defo try and wear him out with a Da Bird / Da Mouse. When Riley gets a bit heavy with Lu I often give him a Da Mouse session to burn some of his energy off and give Lu a reprieve from chasing and wrestling!

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Crazy Rio!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 16:22:30 PM »
Maybe he is just doing things that he has been scared to do before and if there is no hissing or growling there is nothing to be worried about.

OK I know I worry constantly about my terroist Lupin and docile Misa but last night Misa must have given Lupin a big wop with some weight rather than a tap and Lupin stopped playing with him and today so far Lupin is staying away from Misa and he n ever bothers Sasa.

Have you tried playing with Rio with a toy on a stick?

I do hope it will all be OK cos you have done wonders with him.

Thanks Gill, I'll just monitor it for now :-/

I do play with him and he loves the door hanging bird toy! He chases balls and always up to something, I just worry nina is being dominated a wee bit :-/

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 13:13:54 PM »
Maybe he is just doing things that he has been scared to do before and if there is no hissing or growling there is nothing to be worried about.

OK I know I worry constantly about my terroist Lupin and docile Misa but last night Misa must have given Lupin a big wop with some weight rather than a tap and Lupin stopped playing with him and today so far Lupin is staying away from Misa and he n ever bothers Sasa.

Have you tried playing with Rio with a toy on a stick?

I do hope it will all be OK cos you have done wonders with him.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Crazy Rio!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
I know I raised this issue a few days ago but I fear it's getting worse! Rio seems really rough with Nina and she seems to yelp a lot!

I got home from work yesterday and there is a lot of her fur about. A little of his but mostly hers.

When I go to bed she is going into the blue tunnel next to the bed where he can't get her and then today she actually went under the bed! Nina has NEVER slept under my bed in the four years she has been with me!

I mean there is no hissing or anything and they eat in close proximity but I want her to feel safe and relaxed in her own home.

I'll monitor what she is up to this weekend but I fear the more relaxed he gets the more he is being a bully and tiny Nina doesn't like it!

I'm really worried! She does chase him sometimes back but obviously she doesn't want to play sometimes! :-(

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Crazy Rio!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 22:50:22 PM »
Oh thank you for all the reassurances everyone!

Calm tonight so far although when Nina was on my lap tonight and Rio approached she swatted him away and he scarpered! So maybe he isn't so dominant lol!

Tiggy's mum thanks for fixing the title... Yes I'm in Scotland but def not wanting Craig for a cat name lol :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 22:13:38 PM »
My two run around a lot at night chasing each other. Don't know what the people in the downstairs flat think! They run over the bed and skid across the floors, jump out on each other and generally cause trouble. Buffy is smaller than Xander but she certainly seems to give as good as she gets. He does sometimes get on her back and grab the scruff of her neck and then stamp his back feet on her back. She usually just turns around and gives him a good kicking and he gets off. He was spayed when he was young but obviously either still get the urge or it's just instinct.

They are just starting to chase each other now!

It sounds to me like Rio and Nina are having great fun. It's great she's got a friend she can play with.     

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Re: Craig Rio!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 21:53:46 PM »
When they're roughing and tumbling do either of them make much noise? My two rough and tumble with body thumping etc but there's no hissing or growling and only the occasional small squeak which is when I intervene as I take that to mean 'hey, that hurt!' If there's no hissing/growling/wailing then it sounds like playfighting to me.

P.S Is he called Craig now?

They don't make noises although sometimes Nina squeaks which I think is her saying she doesn't want to play or has had enough. I have stopped them sometimes thinking she is being overwhelmed then she goes chasing after him!

Def no hissing or growling but sometimes chirruping and her squeaking! It seems fun but I do worry he is really big for her and being dominant in play not really understanding his size (he is a bit stupid lol)

As for is he called Craig...., erm no 😳😳... I put this on using tap talk and managed to have it auto correct from crazy to Craig and I can't work out how to fix it!! Ooopppss

It defo sounds like playfighting to me then judging by the lack of noise. Just because Nina didn't instigate it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't enjoy it. I would say Riley starts 95% of chases/playfights but as they whiz through the house Lu will often end up behind Riley and carries on chasing whereas if he wanted to that would be his cue to dash off away from him. Do you have a Da Bird/Da Mouse? You could tiring Rio out just before bed in the hope that he'll sleep through more of the night!

P.S Have fixed the title for you, I thought Craig was a bit of an odd name change although you posted before you were in Scotland so I thought maybe you were going back to your roots  :evillaugh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 20:08:53 PM »
Wouldn't worry about the size thing some of my younger girls are only 2.5 to 3.5 kgs and they put the 6kg plus boys in their place You want to see an NFC and big Ragdoll run :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Craig Rio!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 16:54:40 PM »
You might have a point Gill - maybe both out boys are going wild cos they couldn't go so wild in their last homes.

Lucky is rofl!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 15:04:41 PM »
Lupin wasnt neutered until 10 1/2 months and I got him neutered as soon as I got him home.

I really think he was put up for rehoming cos of his nortyness and also cos he doesnt like being played with and the woman had a young son and showed no emotion at him leaving although it looked like he loved her and was quite happy to be picked up by her.

It sounds like Nina and Rio are play fighting and he is getting his first home where he can be himself.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Craig Rio!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 13:58:14 PM »

I've heard of instances where neutered males still exhibit some signs of sexual behaviour, and understand that it doesn't necessarily mean the op wasn't a success, but is more common in late neutered males.

I know Rio is a fluffy lad, but would have thought if he was entire, you'd know a) because he would have significant pom-poms and b) he would be quite pungent. Now Rio's getting more confident, I can see why you wouldn't want to rock the boat this early on with a vet visit to make sure.   :shify:

Well I'm not sure what counts as late neutered but he may have been. I've not got his full history but filling in the gaps... He left the breeder when he was 8 months which I imagine is v late. He is an orange eyed white and only the second in his lineage looking at his parentage and ancestors. Given this fact and looking at the breeders pretty big breeding programme Im *guessing* he may have been kept on as a stud but it didn't work out and they rehomed him neutered. That's the only reason I can work out why he would be with a breeder so long!

He has been flat on his belly letting me tickle him tummy and no sign of some erm (cough cough) you know what's!!

Yep I'm thinking the beta beginning of November - nina due her boosters then so maybe take them both and hopefully he will be settled enough by then. He still hides under the bed when I'm waking about!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions- maybe I give him a teddy bear lol

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Craig Rio!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 13:51:53 PM »
When they're roughing and tumbling do either of them make much noise? My two rough and tumble with body thumping etc but there's no hissing or growling and only the occasional small squeak which is when I intervene as I take that to mean 'hey, that hurt!' If there's no hissing/growling/wailing then it sounds like playfighting to me.

They don't make noises although sometimes Nina squeaks which I think is her saying she doesn't want to play or has had enough. I have stopped them sometimes thinking she is being overwhelmed then she goes chasing after him!

Def no hissing or growling but sometimes chirruping and her squeaking! It seems fun but I do worry he is really big for her and being dominant in play not really understanding his size (he is a bit stupid lol)

As for is he called Craig...., erm no 😳😳... I put this on using tap talk and managed to have it auto correct from crazy to Craig and I can't work out how to fix it!! Ooopppss

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 13:16:48 PM »

I've heard of instances where neutered males still exhibit some signs of sexual behaviour, and understand that it doesn't necessarily mean the op wasn't a success, but is more common in late neutered males.

I know Rio is a fluffy lad, but would have thought if he was entire, you'd know a) because he would have significant pom-poms and b) he would be quite pungent. Now Rio's getting more confident, I can see why you wouldn't want to rock the boat this early on with a vet visit to make sure.   :shify:

Was it one of Sheila's cats that used to exhibit sexual behaviour towards a soft toy?  I know someone on the forum had a neutered cat who did that (forgive me Sheila if I've cast aspersions against any of your lovely lot incorrectly!)

Of course, it may not be improper conduct at all (bless him) - he may just finally have found his feet, his confidence and latent cattitude.   :evillaugh:

Helen - interesting to note.  When Ross and his "friend" young master Dickie have been play fighting these last few nights, I note that Dickie (the smaller and younger of the two)  makes fierce little battle cries - no spitting, just wailing.  Ross just looks bemused.....

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 13:09:50 PM »

Riley also has 'mad half hours' at random'o'clock in the morning. Lu sounds a bit like Nina and is an old man before his time, he will quietly sleep on the spare bed, you don't hear a peep out of him. Riley sounds like Rio in that he is normally the instigator of the wrestling and chasing but I think they both enjoy it and Lu is actually quite good at getting Riley in compromising positions before paw whacking him on the head  :evillaugh:

P.P.S As I'm typing this I can hear banging and crashing from upstairs which is the boys having a wrestle!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:53 PM »
you can often see if a boy is done!

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Craig Rio!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »

I am living in hell right now as Lupin just creates madness and mayhem, the former in my head and the latter in the house

That sums I'm my situation perfectly too!!! It's hell  :-(

Hmmmm about him being neutered - his previous owner said he was and well I haven't checked! I normally get cats straight to the bet but he is so timid I wanted to give him a few weeks to settle.

His microchip record had him listed as unneutered but then they also had him listed as sex unknown so I figured it was just a lazy vet filling out the paperwork.

Would there be tell tale signs if he wasn't? surely a cat can't be that timid and not neutered!

If only he was as timid when it came to play! I've already had to re mount a shelf and move house plants! *sigh*

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »
Oh dear, sounds like he has Lupin Syndrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lupin will be a fully grown adult at 3yrs and have a year to go, Susanne tells me that Mosi didnt start to grow up till around 7!

I am living in hell right now as Lupin just creates madness and mayhem, the former in my head and the latter in the house

Biting of the neck I think only usually occurs if they are unneutered.............try giving him a soft toy!

If you find a cure for this nortyness please tell us pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Crazy Rio!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »
Ok people hoping for a bit of advice here (fingers crossed)!

As some of you know - I introduced a new cat about 4 weeks ago and he has finally came out of his shell! And boy has he came out of his shell!

My other cat Nina and I led quite a quiet life before he came along. Bed time was bed time for us both and she slept on the bed with me!

Well no longer - night time has become wild time in my house! From midnight to about 6am all they appear to do is chase each other. Sometimes it appears quite serious... Rio appeared to be biting Nina's neck last night (is this normal?) and well they just pound about everywhere all night.

Not only do they run over my bed (and me in it) but every morning it's pick up the items they have managed to knock over/off!

Now Rio is only 2 and Maine Coons font reach maturity until five... Do they ever settle down??

Nina was never like this as a youngster :-(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 21:49:47 PM by Tiggy's Mum, Reason: to change Craig to Crazy in the title! »

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat