Author Topic: Bullying and violence  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
Re: Bullying and violence
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 16:13:22 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I think at the moment I'll let Jess live as an indoor cat in my bedroom - she has me all to herself all night for a fuss and cuddle.  Harvey can 'rule the roost' downstairs and outside and my nerves will have a rest!

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Bullying and violence
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
Oh dear poor Jess.

Is it feasible at all for her to use the back entrance like everyone else? Could it maybe be her approaching the front door that he found such a huge threat? The back door kitties don't get bothered so maybe that's the problem. Just a thought!

Oh dear I hope wee Jess is ok :-(
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »
They will learn to live in harmony it may take a while, have to say I have used Rescue remedy in the water bowls, some Zylkene for the newbies, from the vets natural product and no side effects and their is a food Royal Canini sell that has a calming influence and have had some good reports from various CP branches.  Thjere is also Calm aid again like Zylkene crushed and popped on to wet food both are tasteless

I have a water pistol that I use or have used in the past now it just sits on the table empty and the kids know when I pick it to calm down, having a multi household is rewarding and so much fun but it is like everything sometimes not everybody gets on that day

Wouldn't use a cushion my hands would drop it having RSI and my aim with the water pistol is very good now having had plenty of ball practiv=ce aiming with the dogs :Luv2:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 23:23:41 PM »
My oldest Nuggie is also very protective of his garden and no cat was safe....this has included my 2yr old & 7mths old. This also extends to him not even letting them re-enter the house  :shy:
It hasnt gotten as violent as your situation though  :shy:  :-[ and Nuggie is generally all mouth. He is more accepting of Evie (7mths) as she is such a whirlwind, appears from no where and generally makes his garden patrol much more difficult, so accepts her rather than tries to keep up with her lol
But in the house they are all friends and sleep near each other
Cats are funny. They do not recognise others by sight alone, but by scent. Do they normally meet/share the house?? It could be he did not recognise her, saw her a threat (especially protecting kittens) and its ended so very badly  :-[

I agree with the Feliway and all advise here - it might be worth to start all over again with introductions?
Often cats never become good friends, but can still live together relatively incident free, so it could definitely be worth retrying intorductions.
Poor Jess, bless her  :hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 22:29:52 PM »
Think they should only be let out seperately and a good watch kept on them in the houise.

Try keeping a pillow near you to help seperate them, they will soon learn that the pillow wont hurt them but they have to seperate when you approach with them.

I think Harvey thinks that Jess is stealing his garden and interferring in his business, she is an intruder outside

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 14:19:03 PM »
we we first got star and amber years ago (they came as  pair) it was obvious very quickly they hated each other - we had to do time share in the garden and one upstairs one downstairs in the house, it was a pain but slowly it got better and although they will NEVER best the best of friends they can sleep in the same room without using the opportunity of a sneaky attack which they would have done once!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 14:01:15 PM »
Have you thought about trying a Feliway plug in to try and calm the nerves inside the house? Not a lot you can do about outside I guess, unless you only let Jess out when Harvey is safely inside?  :hug:

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
Bullying and violence
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »
I am having problems with Harvey's behaviour towards Jess.  Harvey is 4, neutered and normally an affectionate cat.  He is marvellously gentle with the foster kittens I often look after and suitably submissive to their mothers!  However, he absolutely hates one of my other cats, 13 yr old Jess (who used to belong to my mother who lived nextdoor until her death).  Jess was an indoor cat while Mum had her, but I like to let her outside for fresh air and always let her out the front door, whilst Harvey and the other cats (who are fine with Jess) use the back garden.  Yesterday I called Jess in for her lunch and as she came up the path Harvey, who had been hiding under a car, ambushed her and began a really vicious attack,  I daren't try to separate them, and Jess's fur was flying everywhere.  She managed to escape and ran off and I got him into the house.  Poor Jess didn't come in until about 10 pm and was extremely wary.  She usually lives in my bedroom anyway so she is now confined there until I can find some way of altering Harvey's behaviour to her, as I can't depend on him not doing it again.

Is there anything I can do?  Or poor Jess will be an indoor cat again.

Link to CatChat