Author Topic: Milly has been attacked by something, u/d a response!  (Read 13858 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Poor girl sending lots of good wishes :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
She is a lucky girl to have you and send loads of get well vibes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
Poor Milly, lucky she has you xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Just want to send the very best of possible good vibes for a very speedy recovery for your beautiful, darling, girl Milly  :care: :care: :care:

Aren't you just the most fabulous of cat parents to got to so much trouble to make her safe during her recovery.  Bless you for that  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Milly is safely back home  :wow: need to keep her from jumping on things for at least 10 days so we have taken all the furniture out of one of our bedrooms (the one she chose to retreat to when feeling poorly the past few days) and taken the legs off the bed so it is on the floor, and she is currently sat on the bed trying to get comfy with her buster collar.  She has had a little bite to eat and drink and is calm for now.

Vet showed me photos of the internal injuries  :Crazy: they were enormous, she said it was a good thing we decided to do the op today. She has a drain in it still too and it looks incredibly sore, but Milly is so dosed up at the moment that it doesn't seem to be bothering her. She has to go back tomorrow for a check and for more injected pain relief, but hopefully we are over the worst now.  Thanks for asking  :shy:

She obligingly rolled over so I could take a pic too...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 20:25:52 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
How is she doing?   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Hoping Miss Milly is back home and recovering with you now xx

We have foxes and a badger sett in our woods and none of the Clan cats have been bothered by them in anyway, however the birds of prey have picked up Baby Gorgeous and dropped her 20 foot up a tree!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
What a divvy vet! I'd definitely be complaining if i were you. How's Milly now? Hope she'll be feeling better soon x

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Sorry to hear about Milly and hoping she gets well very soon :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
So pleased you have a great vet and that they took pics, I hope that you manage to contain Milly so she heals properly  :hug: :hug: :hug:

How about a few days in a dog cage?

Did your vet say how long before the healing is good enough?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
good news, interesting they have photos as well seeing as it was all missed!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Ahhh bless her ... so pleased you took her to your vet rather than just relying on the emergency vet's report!

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Vet just rung, Milly is just coming round now.  She had two major tears all the way through the muscle, so it's a good thing we did decide to go ahead!  She thinks the injuries are too severe for a cat fight and thinks that dog, fox or badger are more likely - although I wouldn't have thought the latter would be very likely during the day? Anyway, she said they had a good look while she was under ga and couldn't find anything else wrong so is optimistic that this will solve it. Now I have to work out how to keep her confined somewhere she can't jump onto anything to damage the wound as it heals.  My vet also said they took some photos while the surgery was being done so she can show me later. Picking her up at 6!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I so agree with Angie.

Sending loads of good vibes for Milly and hope she recovers well  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
................  it makes me lack confidence about the service if I needed to use it again. 

Yes of course that is exactly the problem that needs to be addressed .......... with someone  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Yes do ask YOUR VET, why their emergency sevice managed to miss such a lot. At the end of the dat, I think the vet practice is responsible for who they farm out their after hours to.

Hope Milly recovers well.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Poor you and Millie  :hug: :hug: Hope everything goes well.

I agree I would ask your vet what they think, they do sound very good.

A friend recently had a bad experience with a vet having her poor cat PTS at a vet she had been with a long time. She got a refund which she wasn't even bothered about, but the way a new vet had treated the cat and themselves. A letter from the principal (dont know if that is the correct term?!) went a long way to making her feel better  :hug:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Milly is staying in for surgery  :( my vet can feel a tear in the muscle and is concerned that even if it hasn't gone all the way through now, it will be a weak spot that she could easily damage further as she jumps and stretches.  Hopefully it will be a case of a couple of stitches and nothing more. Now the dreaded wait for news...

Hope everything goes OK for her  :hug: This would make me even more resolute to kick up a big stink, to me it's not about what you paid for the sub-standard examination - this vet has missed wounds and a muscle tear which requires an operation - to the layperson that's negligence and once Milly is better I would be pursuing this with the RCVS if I were in your shoes

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/complaints/

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
what a dreadful experience for you both, hope all goes well for Millie today  :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Poor Milly. :care:

I agree, missing wounds like that is terrible and you should not be charged the full amount of an emergency appointment. Sending gentle hugs to you and Milly.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Milly is staying in for surgery  :( my vet can feel a tear in the muscle and is concerned that even if it hasn't gone all the way through now, it will be a weak spot that she could easily damage further as she jumps and stretches.  Hopefully it will be a case of a couple of stitches and nothing more. Now the dreaded wait for news...

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Yes she is chipped, I don't recall him checking it though and he just had a notepad and pen with him so I doubt he would have written it down if he had scanned her...and yes, quite right about the practice name...

We do have foxes round here but not during the day and I just don't see how she could have been grabbed by a dog either really.  She's not a wanderer at all, she only goes one house either side (admittedly one side has a spaniel) and to one house over the road.  I guess we will probably never know.

Fortunately we are about to put our house in the market, so no neighbours is a special criterion for the new pad!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Looks more like a fox or dog attack to me.  :scared:

Make the insurance claim. Is she chipped? Her chip number should have been read and recorded by the Emergency vet so don't worry about any identity issues. I'm appalled at the way this has been handled, and you should make representations. Quality of care should not faulter just because they've been busy. Is it VetsNow by any chance?

Have a look on-line, google the name of the emergency vet and the word complaint and see what pops up? You might find some telling information.

Hoping Milly gets better soon and this episode doesn't affect her confidence too badly.  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
omg poor girl, agree that you should address your lack of confidence with the surgery but obviously getting her better is first

I have a bengal myself and I have to say the wounds do look large to have come from one  :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Thanks - yes I paid my £134 consultation fee just like everyone else so I should get the same level of thorough examination, surely.

Milly seems fine this morning, currently sat on the end of the bed having a wash. I am a bit concerned though that there haven't been any poos yet. When I found her tues eve she had one stuck round her back end, but nothing since...unless she's been popping them somewhere as yet undiscovered in the house instead of the litter tray, I guess! So maybe that does mean it needs further investigation this morn. I'm seeing my vet at 9.15 so will have to decide then  :-:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
 :omg: poor Milly :care: I would be absolutely furious, to me that's negligence  >:( It's not like the wounds are small enough to have been missed. Regardless of what other cases were in at the time, you waited until they had dealt with the more serious emergencies so the vet should have given her a much more thorough examination.

Fingers crossed she won't need surgery, poor little thing :care: Please let us know how she gets on  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I agree with Rosella but think you should make the insurance claim and then if you have the inclination and manage to get some money back. you can always reimburse the insurance company.

I think at present all your thoughts are better served by caring for  Milly and ensuring she gets the best care from  your own lovely vet.

Sending lots of good vibes for Milly  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
oh myyy! poor Millie  :'( :'(
sending hugs to you and millie  :hug: :hug:

you must be horrified to know that this had been missed and can agree with why you feel the consultation wasnt up to scratch  :-[ I agree with Rosella about addressing it.

I know Mille is longhaired but I also have a longhair and he was ran over. He was found in a garden in severe pain. The Emergency Vets examined him and a small injury was found, he then went on to fully examine his entire body for more wounds & more critical wounds - purely because the whole event was a mystery.
They should know above all that both cats and dogs are the masters of not showing illness or injury until they cant hide it much more  :-[ and you're hardly going to take her just on a whim  :-[
Good luck and the main thing is that Millie gets back to full health Bless Her xx
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
................  it makes me lack confidence about the service if I needed to use it again. 

Yes of course that is exactly the problem that needs to be addressed .......... with someone  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Thanks all - yes I did say to my vet this morning that if anyone looked at the notes between the emergency vet and my own vet, they'd think that they had seen two different animals!  I think I will get over whatever needs to be done for Milly in the short term and then talk to her about the emergency vet - Milly is insured so that is an added complication, plus one of the VNs at my normal practice (an extremely good one, I should add!) also does some shifts at the emergency vets too, although she wasn't there that night.  Maybe she might even have some insight into a good way to approach it.

Yes Rosella, she had not been outside since the first vet visit, we blocked up the cat flap as soon as I got home as we don't want her going anywhere at the moment especially while we are not sure how serious the bruised part is!  She has perhaps unsurprisingly not shown any interest in going out anyway. 

I wasn't that unhappy to start with as I do understand that he had other priorities that night and she did at least get pain relief and antibiotic, but the more I think about it the more unhappy I am...and it makes me lack confidence about the service if I needed to use it again.  On the flip side, I have complete confidence in my normal vet and am very happy with the way that they have dealt with Milly (and my other furries all the time). 

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Poor Milly. Agree with everything from Rosella. Sending some famous Purrs vibes for a quick recovery.  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
OMG poor Milly .... I totally agree with Rosella ... I would be asking for money back and a full apology. 

Sending lots of get well soon vibes to her xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
I honestly think you need to approach emergency vet and ask for consulting fee back and an apology as he missed such a large number of wounds.  Explain you are happy to pay for the treatment itself but that you felt the consultation was not up to scratch. 

If Millie is insured I can see you may not want to rock the boat but I would still speak to your own vet and say how unhappy you are with the emergency consultation and ask what she thinks you should do.

I assume you kept Milly in overnight so there is no possibility the other wounds occurred between vet visits?  I can see she is fluffy but really do not believe there is any excuse for such an oversight.

Do hope poor Milly recovers quickly  :care: :care: :care:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Milly has been attacked by something, u/d a response!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 21:18:57 PM »
My poor little girl has been attacked, not sure whether it's another cat or a dog or even a fox maybe?  There is a naughty bengal nearby who fights with Geoffrey, but my vet thinks her injuries are more dog-like, although I can't think of where or how that would have happened so I am still inclined to think she was just pretty viciously set upon by the bengal. 

She was fine Tuesday morning and I got home from work Tuesday night to find her curled up in a corner and she protested violently every time I went near her.  Decided I should take her up the emergency vet as I didn't know what was wrong with her, unfortunately I arrived at the same time as a dog that had been hit by a train  :Crazy: and another more seriously injured cat, so I had a very long wait and the vet was a bit rushed when he saw Milly.  He looked her over and found one wound on her hip, so we concluded that she had been in some kind of fight.  He said it wasn't even that deep, not breaking fully through the skin, so it shouldn't be a problem.  She was standing up and walking around then so even though she looked sore, I decided to bring her home again instead of leave her there - especially as there were more critical patients so I don't think she would have got much attention anyway.  She had antibiotic and opiate painkiller and came home.

Wed she was still poorly, not wanting to move at all, so I took her back to my own vet, who fairly quickly found that she was absolutely covered in wounds on her underside.  She'd also got an enormous bruise and swollen bit by her sternum which my vet thought was very concerning.  She had an x-ray while I was there and it didn't show any air getting in, but she thought there might be a muscle tear there, although there was too much swelling to tell properly.  I also saw a copy of the faxed notes from the emergency vet, which basically said that I had brought in a bright and active cat who had one wound on her.  The notes actually say "no other wounds located".  I'll post a photo in a mo which show what was missed! 

Milly went back this morning as my vet couldn't decide whether there was a definite tear/risk of hernia or not, I basically had the choice of sending her in for surgery, or waiting and seeing if the swelling goes down and if they can then tell for certain.  As she had perked up this morning I decided to wait and see...fortunately my vet is open 7 days a week and the vet I always see is working this weekend so I feel reassured that she will be seen quickly and competently if needed then.  She is also going back tomorrow morning for another check and to see if they can decide if she needs surgery. 

Finally, a couple of pics, the more I think about it, the more upset I am that the emergency vet only found one wound and wrote the notes that I feel make me look like a crazy woman bringing in a virtually healthy cat.  I know he was incredibly busy with far more critically ill patients, the treatment would no doubt have been the same and she did get the pain relief and antibiotic cover she needed, but even so, I don't exactly feel like I got the most robust treatment for my £160 and worry that had I not taken her to my own vet the next day, she might have ended up really suffering. 

Here's the wound that the emergency vet found

And here's what my own vet found the following day - you can see the bruising around her sternum

Back to the vets in the morning, when we will decide whether or not to go ahead with surgery tomorrow  :(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:23:33 AM by fluffybunny »

Link to CatChat