Author Topic: Milly has been attacked by something, u/d a response!  (Read 13859 times)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
I hadn't even noticed Geoffrey in the foreground  :rofl:

I am definitely going to take it up with the emergency vets - so far I have been concentrating more on making sure Milly is ok so as soon as she has her final stitches out I will get writing to them.  I will also have to think about exactly how to couch it as I have put in my insurance claim and I don't want it to look like I am planning to get the insurance to pay out and then get some money back from the vets...but on the other hand if I am up front about that, while it shows them that I'm not doing it just to grumble about the fees in general (which I'm sure they get a lot) they will presumably have less incentive to agree to a refund as they know it's only going back into the pocket of the insurance company.

Thinking cap on for the weekend I reckon...

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
So glad she is doing well  ;D are you taking your issues up with the emergency vet or not???

Love the way Geoffrey is just sitting on the bed thinking 'what is that mad kitty doing?'!!!  :Crazy:  :rofl:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Milly has recovered extremely well  ;D  Vet wanted to be just a little cautious and has taken every other stitch out for now so she is not quite free again yet, the remainder of the stitches should come out on Friday.  She is absolutely desperate to go outside though so whatever it was that got hold of her certainly hasn't put her off the great outdoors!

Here's a couple of little vids of my 13-year old kitten showing that she is feeling better and that comfy collars are much nicer than lampshades!  I had been doing some clearing out and this was a rubbish bag until Milly decided she wanted to rummage through it  :rofl:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v117/AlisonA/?action=view&current=961C234E-2B0E-43E1-A0A9-56F7EA32C7AE-16956-00001C3087EECBA8.mp4

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v117/AlisonA/?action=view&current=52B7F89C-ABA5-4E64-8EA8-415622AE0708-16956-00001C2E68E88CE4.mp4

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
AW Milly! She looks a bit happier now bless her. Glad it's all healing well. Roll on Monday x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Lupin managed to get a full leg dressing off that was trying to keep his drip in, the small one had been abandoned the day before and Gareth said .........well he obviously doesnt need it then!

Cats are clever and they hate any dressing with passion.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Am well impressed with comfy collar  :wow: and the lovely Milly model  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

So glad all continues to go well after her horrid ordeal  :)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
 ;D ;D Well done Millie! healing lovely and looking so much brighter with your new collar  ;D ;D

and why, for a leg or main body wound, is a collar necessary at all? surely it's possible to bandage with gauze and then put some sort of stretchy covering over it that can't be removed by the cat?

it took my lad less than 20minutes to get off full leg padding, then gauze and that stretchy waterproof strapping (looks like a bright plaster cast) - the vet gave up after number 3  :evillaugh:
I think its better with wounds getting air - but when my kitten was neutered in august, rather than a lampshade the vet said that if she does keep licking or picking to just put her in a baby vest  :-: :-: unfortunately Evie gave me no excuse what so ever to dress her up  :-[ haha  :rofl:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
I think it's probably possible to do it differently, but it may not help it to heal the best way, plus there's always the risk that they will find a way of wiggling out of the dressing or picking it off and then pulling at the wound!  Milly also had a drain in her wound so that needs somewhere to drain away to rather than stick to a dressing and potentially get infected.  I know of someone who used a babygrow with a strategically cut bum hole to stop a bunny from attacking a wound once! 

The comfy collar I've got doesn't require a collar underneath it and I haven't put one on under it in the end.  There are loops to attach it if you want and the instructions say you can if you want to - and they do recommend it for bigger dogs, but it doesn't seem to be a necessity for cats. 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
I think I might get a Comfy Collar on an if and when basis - but am I right in thinking they have to be attached to an ordinary collar? mine don't have collars, and I wonder if putting one on plus a comfy collar would be nearly as bad as the dreaded cone?

and why, for a leg or main body wound, is a collar necessary at all? surely it's possible to bandage with gauze and then put some sort of stretchy covering over it that can't be removed by the cat?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
It was from eBay, but there seem to be plenty of places sell them, amazon had some too.  I only went with the eBay one because I could specify next day delivery.

Been back to the vets, she is extremely happy with progress, says it all looks like it is healing well and feels normal now (apart from the sutures).  The drain was taken out and she will be back for another check and stitches out next Monday.  All very happy, considering  :wow:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
She looks so much happier and think I may get one for emergencies, where did you get it from?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
glad she is doing better, those collars are so upsetting for them I don't know why they bother

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Comfy collar has arrived, and I think it's fair to say that Milly is significantly happier already  ;D. She has got out of her bed and is pottering around the room, has had a drink and done a big stinky poo  :sick:  she's moved around more in the past half hour than she has all weekend!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:09:54 AM by fluffybunny »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
You can lift the food bowl up onto a bean tin to help access whilst they're wearing an e-collar. They almost always knock the bowl off, so a bit of blue tack helps.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
I like that Sheila  ;D it certainly doesnt like its a DIY one!!  ;D

I know when both Nuggie and Tazi have had the lampshade, Nuggie especially was traumatised by it and wouldnt lift his head up and just kept walking into walls  :-[ Tazi just couldnt get his food and i had to hook it over his bowl lol

Aww, poor Millie, I agree with Sheila and she'll just want to give it a good clean to her own high standards as its their natural antiseptic  :)
When Tazi had a terrible leg injury (ripped open from thigh to ankle - another mystery) he was close to losing his leg altogether  :-[ it wasnt healing properly or 'knitting' together, kept getting infected and after 6wks of trying and multiple operations he was given his last week before the decision to amputate was going to be made - rightly or wrongly I did take his shade off and let him lick it (just made sure he didnt nibble at his stiches) thinking that in a week the poor lad was going to lose it anyway. Coincidence maybe, but it got pink again and the vet was pleased enough to keep the leg and it started healing lovely :)

Its obviously not wise to let Mollie have a good lick - but I often wonder if thats why their urge to clean it is so strong? As dogs are very much the same....
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
She'll be able to smell the chemical disinfecting agents used on her body, so will be desperate to clean the area to her own satisfaction. The stitches will be itching as she heals, and it's good to know she looks like she's healing cleanly.

Supervise her closely when you first fit the comfycollar, if it's too loose it may slip round and allow her to access the wound (I like to keep the e-collar handy in case she's extra flexible and manages to reach her wound anyway) so may need adjusting to make sure she can't stretch around it.

As Funkie said, the sounds that she would usually twist her ears to locate are currently all being distorted and funnelled into her ears from the front, and she can't hear anything behind her, this makes them paranoid and as you say, very scared and subdued. It's also unnatural for her not to be able to eat or drink when she wants to.

I made my first version of the comfy collar for Theo from a roll of faux sheepskin with a shoelace threaded through the middle. He actually seemed to enjoy it.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
We are all doing ok, ta!  I am looking forward to the comfy collar arriving with postie tomorrow, as she is definitely extremely miffed by the collar and I think it's that making her more depressed than anything else.  Thanks for the tip on getting it adjusted first, Sheilarose. Hubby stayed at home with her today and he said that whenever he took the collar off for her to have a rest, she was going straight for the wound, so although she still has pain relief I wonder if it is starting to irritate her a bit now it's starting to heal a bit - I think they can get itchy after a few days?  I'm at home with her tomorrow and she is back at the vets tomorrow afternoon for a check up and hopefully to have the drain taken out.  But the wound still looks lovely and clean and Milly is still eating and toileting so I think we are heading the right way.  Thanks for all the good wishes  :Luv:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 21:15:35 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Sending many more good healing vibes and  :catlove2: snoozles to Milly babe.. Hope you're doing OK kid  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
Glad Millie is recouperating well  ;D ;D

My friend has also used one of the comfy collars and she raves about them. I think the cats prefer them because they dont lose their sense of awarness and space perception like they do with the lampshade - as well as what Sheila said about eating and drinking. Hope it goes well and its going to be far more comfortable for the times she does need the collar on  :hug:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
I love our comfy collar. They can eat and drink with it on and sleep pretty well too. Just make sure you fit her own collar first and set the length, as you can't tell - when you've threaded it inside the cushion - how tight it is.  :-:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Hope the new collar works and she continues to do well  :hug: :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
She seems well, thanks  :wow: she is mostly sleeping in her heated basket, but to be honest even without the injury that's probably broadly what she would have done anyway  :evillaugh: she has eaten, drunk and used the litter tray and the wound is looking good.  She is most distressed about the Elizabethan collar though so I have ordered one of those inflatable 'comfy collars' to try...no idea if its any good or if it's going to work but as I've already spent about £800 this week I figured another tenner wouldn't make a lot of difference  :rofl:  I am spending as much time with her as possible so she can have time without it, but it seems to make her even more upset when I put it back on again.  Hopefully the new one will arrive tues so I can give that a go...

Skiddaw - yes my vet was pretty unimpressed too.  She said that it shouldn't be my problem as a client if the vet has other cases to juggle, that's their job but as a client I deserve the same amount of thoroughness as everyone else.  My vet isn't the owner of the practice though so I will have to have more of a think about what I want to do next about that.  For now though I'm more worried about making sure that Milly is healing well. 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Hope Milly (and your OH!) had a restful night  :hug: How does she seem today?

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Vibes from us as well. Did your vet say anything else about the emergency vet?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Sending good Sunday recovery vibes to our beautiful gal  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
Oh it will work. You might get it all over your head though  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Managed to get away for some dinner and am now back up, she is zonked out half in and half out the basket now  :Luv2: I just text my oh downstairs to ask him to bring me more wine. I wonder if that will work  :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 20:57:47 PM by fluffybunny »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
She looks so peaceful and the rest will do her good after such an ordeal, Get well soon Milly cos your meowmy is gonna be so stiff sitting there watching you  ;D ;D :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
So pleases Milly is on the mend with her super Mum and Dad :hug:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 18:03:11 PM by alisonandarchie »

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
big hugs to you and Milly  :grouphug:
Milly couldnt ask for a better nurse and mammy  :hug:

I am so glad surgery went well and that operating that day was the best choice ever, judging by what they found  :'(
I wonder if could have been a passing dog?  :'( as from what I can gather foxes and badgers arent normally aggressive with cats and like you said not out during the day. Who knows? Either the main thing is she's bouncing back and on the road to recovery x

AND she's poo-ing...!! even if it is in her basket as a vet pressie  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
How sweet, she looks so comfy. Hope you're comfy too x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Bless her  :Luv2: You're a good cat Mum, no doubt about it  :)  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
bless her she does look very comfy  :Luv2:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
I'm stuck  :evillaugh: vet said I could take her lampshade off while supervising her, she has climbed into her electric heated basket and fallen sound asleep. So now I am stuck here sitting very quietly and unable to move as I don't want to disturb her. She probably needs some decent sleep, bless her.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
So pleased her innards are working well, even if it is in the wrong place.

Chubby soils his crate when he has to go to the vet too, he's terrified of the box.
I wonder if Milly's scared of being taken outdoors since her attack and this is causing her to panic.  :scared:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Thanks  :wow: yes Milly is well, the vet is very pleased with her progress and with how bright she is.  She had more vetergesic anyway, so hopefully we a well on the mend now. For three days in a row now she has weed in the carrier on the way to the vet, and this morning she excelled herself by pooing as well  :naughty:

Thanks for all the good wishes, back tues for another check.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Hoping Milly's check up goes well and she gets lots more pain relief. 

She has touched a chord here  :Luv2: and am willing her to get well as quickly as possible  :care: :care: :care:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Thanks everyone. I'm pleased that Milly seems quite settled at the moment, daddy is sleeping with her in the spare room while I sleep with Geoffrey in our normal bed.  Geoffrey is just a bit too boisterous to be left with her at the moment and he will go crazy if shut in a room, so it's better this way! Hubby has settled down on the mattress on the floor with a bottle of Rioja and his laptop and Milly is cuddled up next to him  :Luv2:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Sending lots of love, huggles and healing vibes for Milly xxx

Big  :hug: for you at this stressful time xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Link to CatChat