Author Topic: My cat suddenly starts to randomly urinate and poop  (Read 2739 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
My cat suddenly starts to randomly urinate and poop
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 18:46:04 PM »
My wife is really stressed out and is convinced it can't be a medical issue since "cats only go outside of the litterbox on smooth surfaces in case of a medical problem". We will bring Bucatini to a vet. Any other thoughts if he is healthy? Thanks again...

Hi and welcome to purrs,

I'm not sure I agree with your wives theory that they only go outside on smooth surfaces... I've never heard that before in fact.

Rule out problems with the vet and then try and combat his stress. I assume you only have one litter tray - it might be AB idea to have at least two in different locations since you have two cats. Felioway diffusers can also be good.

My old Balinese boy got very stressed when my husband moved in with us and was pooping in my bedroom. I bought a diffuser, got an extra litter tray and spoilt him rotten. Thankfully in my case this did the trick and it stopped.

Check out the links below that Sam shared there will be tons of great advice.

Good luck
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: My cat suddenly starts to randomly urinate and poop
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 18:35:58 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs,

It sounds like Buca may be stressed .... I agree he needs to see a vet to rule out any medical condition.  I have attahced a couple of links that may give you a bit more information on how to deal with the problem:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26577.0.html

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,21640.0.html

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,5008.0.html

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,14325.0.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline exm

• Adult Cat
  • Josie - R.I.P. "Joos" (November 9th, 2006)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 18:23:59 PM »
My wife is really stressed out and is convinced it can't be a medical issue since "cats only go outside of the litterbox on smooth surfaces in case of a medical problem". We will bring Bucatini to a vet. Any other thoughts if he is healthy? Thanks again...

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 17:28:10 PM »
definately see the vet first as it could be an infection that is easily treated

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 16:55:52 PM »
No I definately would not lock him up but I would get him seen by a vet to ensure there is no health issue.

I suspect he is very stressed, first by your brothers visit and then definately by being locked out of his litter tray......the latter must have really scared him cos cats are very clean.................how would you react if access to your bathroom was locked.

It may take a while to resolve but if your vet is any good he/she may have some advice

Offline exm

• Adult Cat
  • Josie - R.I.P. "Joos" (November 9th, 2006)
My cat suddenly starts to randomly urinate and poop
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 16:42:41 PM »
Hi all!

I have 2 beautiful and wonderful Ragdoll cats: one is app 3 and the other is 5. We moved into our new house at the beginning of the year and we have no issues. The youngest cat (called Buca) start to act weird when my brother slept over in May: he actually urinated at his pillow while my brother was asleep. We kind of brushed this aside as an incident, but since the past few weeks Buca started to randomly urinate at the couch and this morning my wife found a cat poop in our closet. The only thing that happened recently is that he accidentally got locked out from his litter box (our 19mo old daughter locked the cat door).

We are thinking to lock him up in the basement (where the litter boxes are) for a few days. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Mark

Link to CatChat