Author Topic: Please advise me  (Read 5332 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Please advise me
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 18:41:16 PM »
Hope the vets went well!!  :hug: :hug:

Least you can always say you tried and thats the main thing  ;D
Soooo looks like you have your self a little soldier to bring back to health so he can be the cheeky lad I'm sure hes destined to be  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 16:19:06 PM »
he's not registered as lost anywhere we can tell. The lady at cats protection as been as far back as she can and has no cats like him. We're off to the vets at 5  :Crazy:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 22:36:51 PM »
I'm glad things seem to be going well  ;D It can take a while and Mouse appears accepting to a point so once Lucan has calmed himself i'm sure things will settle down  ;D

Mine still have "moments" - poor Peanut is the whipping boy sometimes  :-[ Evie (7mths) takes no trouble from Nuggie and he actually takes note of her....soooo he then punches Peanut out of meanness :-[ but then Nuggie will only sleep next to Peanut  :shocked: bizarre!! But they are all still getting themselves in order and settling into things so i'm not too worried  8)

I'm also glad you decided to register him found on sites  ;D a girl got her very skinny 12yr old back today after 8weeks missing and he was less than 4miles away after someone had answered her ad on missing pets register  ;D ;D Sometimes despite peoples best efforts they are unable to locate their cats without the help of others  :)
If your original theory is right then little Lucan will be your new friend  :)
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 17:38:49 PM »
Thanks. I think they'll be ok, he just had a big feed and mouse came in and he was fine. I hope the vet says he's ok tomorrow he's still drinking a lot, nowhere near as much as last week but still a lot.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 13:13:34 PM »
Once he is neutered I am sure things will change but yes its very early days and you have to think all he must have been through in the last 7 months.

He probaly thought that Mouse wanted to help with his food and that will be a no no.

He will eventually learn that just cos she sniffs him she is not a threat and she must be alble to smell eau de Tom  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »
a couple of mine still hiss at each other if forced into very close proximity and we've had them years as long as most of the time they can co-exist without trouble I'm happy

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Please advise me
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
I'm forgetting he isn't neutered... That should calm him down too :-)

It's v early days for both our new fur babies.... A few steps forward and a few back is normal :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
yes you're right. it's easy to feel disheartened but it's still very early days. he's going back to the vet tomorrow to be weighed again and to see when he can be neutered.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Please advise me
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
I wouldn't take that as a bad sign... Just little little steps. Last night my two seemed to be playing chase together and then this morning nina hissed at him. Slowly does it... I bet they are back to being nice in a day or two :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 10:29:05 AM »
It was all going so well.........until this morning. Lucan and Mouse had seemed to make huge progress over the last few days, eating close together and mouse even dared to come in to the same room as him. Mouse sniffed his tail and he hissed but ran away!
Then this morning he decides to start hissing and growling at her again.
He's now on a few websites as found and the cats protection have pics of him to put on their found boards.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:29:35 AM by lollycat »

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 20:36:53 PM »
Lol sam, i'm biased! Yeah you're right. They'd have some sort of proof or else they wouldn't be getting him. Ok i'll put him on a few sites  :-:
Mouse went missing in decmber for FIVE days, my heart broke and i put posters everywhere, put pictures on websites, called every vet in the area etc and some kind soul found her crying in their garden  :Luv2:
If someone loves Lucan more than me they desrve to have him back.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 20:10:07 PM »
That's not a bad thing ... I know I'd feel the same ... but on the other hand he may have a desperate family looking for him.  Obviously you don't just hand him over to anyone ... but if he is a loved family member then they will probably have photo's etc etc to prove he is theirs.  Of course the first question I would ask them is how long has he been missing and why was he in such a sorry state when you found him.

I know he is a handsome chap but he's not the sort of cat that someone is likely to claim is theirs if he isn't really  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 19:49:41 PM »
I feel reluctant to in case someone just likes the look of him and says he was theirs and he wasn't. Is that really bad? I've called cats protection and looked on all of the lost cad pages locally to me.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 19:06:52 PM »
Some good places to report him as "found":

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/    you can also look here to see if he's reported lost:  http://www.nationalpetregister.org/missing-cats/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/241741315918502/?ref=ts

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 15:48:04 PM »
Thanks, we chose Lucan as he thinks he's a lord  8)
He's being an extra good boy today and i've been and bought him some toys which he was delighted with.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »
Lucan is a lovely name and  sounds like him and Mouse are doing really well.

Could be that now the worms are gone............they would make him feel hungry.............and he is getting regular food he will just getter better and better with Mouse.

By the state of him and the length of time he has been on the street I dont think much was being done to find him and if you are right about the lady, then I would just love him to bits and keep him as long as there is no chip.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
He said "not old" lol. I think that he is around 3 or 4. When i took mouse in they said she was "very old" and then the next few times said maybe not as old as we first thought. i think she's at least 8 though. I just boiled a chicken drumstick and fed them both together little pieces at a time, no hissing from Lucan  ;D
I'm desperate to get him neutered but think it's going to be a few months wait.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 11:46:15 AM »
Ah.  I assume the lovely Lucan has no microchip then  :( 

One of my many fears is that one of our guys gets carried away in a van one day (lots of building work here atm) and no one checks for a microchip when they are found as they don't all have collars but all are very much loved.  Am just so pleased there are people around like you LC  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Yes the drinking a lot concerned me too.  Did the vet try to put an age on Lucan? 

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
Thanks JackSpratt, I've been reading about scent swapping but i think we're past that stage now. Actually he's been really good today with mouse, she came in and he stood atring at her but that was it.

Yes Rosella he's seen a vet, he weighed him and wormed him. i have to go back next week, he was too weak and emaciated last week. He uses a litter tray and he's pooing fine. He was full of worms but now they've all gone he has stopped drinking so much which was worrying me.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: and huge  :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: for taking Lucan into your home.   :gold stars:

If I were you, I would arrange a vet visit.  Vet can check for any microchip and advise on estimated age and maybe any health issues.  Does Lucan use the litter tray and is he toileting OK?  Sorry to be indelicate but poo can be a great health indicator   :sneakin:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:23:02 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »
Acts of aggression or challenge with former strays are more often linked with having to defend their space and resources, as people have said. It's terribly sad because I'm sure most of them would like to not be permanently worried about things like that.

Well done for taking him (and Mouse) in. Giving both of them treats at the same time if possible can help bond them, but maybe if you can separation and spending time with them both is the way to go. I've only skim read but assume someone has mentioned scent mixing.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »
Thanks Funkiechicken. I have called Cats protection in my area and i'm waiting for them to call back. I can't find the lost paws fb page though, they all seem to be in the US.
Thanks Bunglycat. Last night I made a bed in my room for mouse and she slept all through the night  :wow:
They're actaully getting better together now and i think if i bring mouse in and cuddle her for a few hours in the eve and then let her sleep in our room we may be getting somewhere.
Lucan is definitely getting better, he's hardly drinking now (at first he drank huge amounts hourly) He's feeling less bony but it's only a week today so can't expect him to be a big boy yet.
Thanks so much everyone for your advice and support, i really appreciate it x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 02:52:00 AM »
Poor little man , so pleased you came along for him  :hug: :hug:
I just wondered how you would feel about a large dog crate to put him in to separate for the time being ,but they will still be able to see each other ,but eat and use separate trays .
I got on for on of mine as she kept getting cystitis , admittingly she didn't like the crate , but it stopped inappropriate toileting with her as she couldn't go anywhere except he litter tray.

Good luck with him and with little and often meals he will soon put on weight .

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 23:58:07 PM »
He might just be a little bossy as well  :evillaugh: but if hes lived a long time not knowing when his next bit of food will be, the last thing he wants is some other cat eating it. It takes time, but depending how long hes lived like that, he might always be greedy with food although his aggression to get it may well ease  :)

oh dear  :Crazy: if so i dont know how she could stand by and leave him like that  >:(
All the same i'd register him found - it could be hard to tell how long hes lived on his witts so its knowing how far back to go and register with the rescues, local/surrounding area vets etc. You can always say you made every effort then  ;D
I just know how awful it is when they go missing  :hug:

But either way, to me you have a good little fella. Mouse will take a while but if you have that spare bedroom i'd use it to keep him in. He builds his health (realises his food wont run out) Mouse has the run of her own space and introduce slowly....oh and once healthy get his peas podded  :shify: :evillaugh: that'll make for a less aggressive cat too  :tired:

But if you really think that Mouse isnt going to handle all this then the decision is up to you of what to do. You saved his life regardless and he is going to get the home he deserves, whether its with you or someone else  :hug:
For all my grumpy mans tantrums, if i thought getting my others would completely effect his or the other cats welfare then i would not have completed it. As it is he likes bossing the younger ones about as it suits his grumpy nature quite nicely  :rofl:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 23:27:22 PM »
You have just made me understand him much more, thank you. i thought he was just being thuggish but possibly not. He is currently lying in my arms like a newborn, he's so trusting it's amazing. I have trawled lost cat postings on numerous sites but have a feeling the lady i spoke to when i picked him from the pavement may have once been his owner  :Crazy:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 23:19:56 PM »
It is a shame you can not keep him in a bedroom for while and introduce slowly. Admittedly i didnt do this too much with my introductions but this boy is in recovery, hes very hungry and needs to build his strength. Cats hide their illnesses or pain very well (and to be so underweight he must be exhausted too) this can also bring out an agression in him. Naturally, the weaker or ill cats would be turned on by the other cats in the group and this is his way of defending himself  :doh:

As for feeding - i feed my cats in the order in which they arrived and i never change this ever. This applies to treats. If one of the younger ones tries to butt in, they are gently moved and they soon learn their order. You should do this. He will learn that the treat you give mouse isnt the only bit of food left and that he will get his turn  ;D

Also - he seems to have had a human home before (especially as he is not only friendly but is not a self sufficient feeder like a feral might be) have you reported him found? he may have a family looking for him  ;D Theres a advice on here about what to do and where you can register him. Theres also a facebook page called Lost Paws  :hug:

Hes beautiful  :Luv: well done you for taking this boy in  :hug: it takes time and patience and Mouse will regain her status in the house again, shes rightly got a pet lip at the moment  :-[
In a year my 10year old has lost his life companion and in the last 9mths gained a 2yr old and a lively kitten...hes doing well, but he spits his dummy out evey now and then, puts them in their place or sometimes stays out more than usual, but he always comes round in the end and I ultimately always give him more of my time and address him and fuss him first. He knows his status is safe then  :)

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 22:57:20 PM »
Thanks. Any advice on feeding? I'm feeding them alone but if i give mouse a treat he will come running and hiss. Should i not feed her at all in front of him? Also i bring her in for a cuddle and he doesn't like that either, he turns his back on us bless him.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 22:54:55 PM »
Already he has discovered that he has food, warmth and love and can relax and sleep without being scared.

Mouse needs to be protected as you are doing and to be made to feel as loved as much as she was  :hug: :hug:

Agree with Sam over the neutering and that will also help Mouse.

I cant wait to see pictures of him month by month  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 22:50:09 PM »
He's only hissing at her cuz she is the only one who is likely to steal his food.  He is used to living on his wits and keeping hold of whatever he finds.  As soon as your vet thinks he is up to it get him neutered and you will hopefully very soon have yourself a different cat.

Thank you for helping him ... if he's smart he will soon learn that he's landed on his paws and will become a good boy  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 21:22:37 PM »
Poor baby :care: What a state he was in and so lucky that you found him  :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 21:19:57 PM »
Mouse goes out but never out of the garden, she is reluctant to come in at all and because of the layout of the flat i live in I cannot have them in seperate rooms. The only thing i could do would be to keep mouse out of the lounge and kitchen as it's open plan but i don't want to do that as it's her home. She'll come in if i carry her in and sit with her and she did go over and say hi to him a few days ago but he struck out at her. They're getting better day by day and i never let him near her when she's eating as that's when he can be aggressive. I haven't let him out yet but i say he knows what the cat flap is for as on his first day here he was batting it! he doesn't seem to have any desire to go out now. he just eats and goes to the toilet and then gets back on the sofa!

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Please advise me
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 21:00:40 PM »
Oh the wee soul :-(... You can see he is going to be a very handsome boy though :-)

I would echo what Gill has said - I had meant that with the separate space and territory. Your only on day six so they probably shouldn't be seeing that much of each other at all and kept totally separate although it sounds like he is quite confident.

I take it they both go outdoors and he has been going outdoors already as you mention he knows how to use a cat flap? Did you vet check him over and test him when he did worming treatment?

There are some good links on here about introducing a new cat - im on my mobile so can't post the links. I also found lots of info on the net - the general consensus is keeping them separate initially.

Good luck and look forward to hearing how it is going

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 18:03:43 PM »
Poor little man, I am sure he will look wonderful when he has had some proper food for a while and some home care and love  :hug: :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 18:01:52 PM »
Here he is  :Luv:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 17:29:56 PM »
Thanks, that's great advice. I'll do that and see how they get on. He is definitely not feral, he can use a litter tray and knows what a cat flap is for, he lies on his back and lets you tickle his belly. he's adorable to me and fine with the dog, just not my lovely girl cat.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 17:23:35 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Thats wonderful you taking blittle hissy spit in and so hope he becomes a big strong boy.

As far as I am comcerned the first duty is to the resident cat who needs to know they are still loved and this intruder into the house will not steal it.

So I am in favour of seperation, especially as this boy as been out on the street for at least 7 months and you need to make sure he hasnt got anything that could be passed on.

So he needs a room with tray, food and water, bedding and places to hide like a box with a hole in it, it does sound that he is craving attention so not a feral. You will need to give him loads of attention if he likes that and get to know him and try scent swapping bedding from your current cat and him.

I hope thats enough to start with but so important to make sure your current cat is loved like she was before.   :hug: :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 17:18:28 PM »
Thank you for replying. No he hasn't been neutered but i doubt he will be for some time due to his poor state. I want to keep him but i have to put my cat first (she was also a stray who was out for a few years surviving on a few people feeding her scraps occasionally) I've had her for 2 years now and i adore her.
I tried to put up a pic but it says it was too big, funny that as he is so small  :wow:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Please advise me
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 17:13:53 PM »
Oh my goodness.... What a wee scone! I cannot believe the little fella was so low in weight and just living rough! Good on you for taking the cat in.

What I would say is it's very early days, the cat is underweight, been living rough and no doubt traumatised. Its not surprising he is acting like this having had to fend for himself so long! How is your cat with him? Is he spayed?

There are people on here with far more experience than me but currently I'm introducing a new cat into my home - I'm on day six and my cat is still hissing at him. I'm optimistic I'll get there as its worked before in the past.

As long as you make sure the new cat has his own space and territory within your home then hopefully they will settle into tolerating each other if not a great relationship.

Give it time :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 17:10:00 PM »
Welcome to Purrs and congratulations on your new arrival and well done you for taking him off the streets.

I'm very much a fan of leaving them and letting them get on with it if there is no outright fighting and attacking.  They should find their own pecking order sooner or later and will probably settle into indifference with each other.  There will be others along with other ways on introducing them to each other properly and other ideas.

You could get some Feliway to plug in which mimics cat pheromones and usually calms cats down. 

Before anyone else says it......pictures are always welcome :)

Karen
x

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
Please advise me
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 16:53:21 PM »
Last week I was viewing a property and was walking home when i saw what i thought was a white rabbit just lying on the pavement. It was a cat, the skinniest thing i have ever seen. He started crying when I stroked him and then tried to climb up my leg. I asked around the area and someone said he's a stray and has been out for a least 7 months. I couldn't leave him so picked him up and carried him own, he didn't struggle, just let me carry him for about 10 mins. I fed him and de flead him, rang the vet who gave me wormer (he did have lots) and now he is doing better. he looks stronger and is slowly putting on weight. He was under 5 lbs when i got him 6 days ago.
Now my concern is i have my own cat and the new guy is hissing and growling at her. He is fine with my dog but will not tolerate the cat who is the most passive little thing ever. Will this change? what can i do to help them? All ideas received with thanks.

Link to CatChat