Author Topic: Overactive thyroid  (Read 15406 times)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
Re: Overactive thyroid
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2012, 16:44:24 PM »
yay!
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2012, 00:27:48 AM »
Thats wonderful news, I am so pleased for Trigger  ;D ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2012, 22:51:20 PM »
Great news  :wow: I'm chuffed to bits for Trigger, and his Mum  :)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2012, 20:32:55 PM »
Kay that's excellent news!
 :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2012, 20:09:23 PM »
This is fantastic news, Kay. I'm utterly delighted for you.  ;D :dance narna:

Offline Claire123

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mickey
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2012, 20:08:08 PM »
That's brilliant, ive been wondering how he's been getting on!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2012, 20:01:02 PM »
Trigger has had his 90 day post I131 test, and his thyroid levels remain at the bottom end of normal, though he is much livelier than when he first came home

more importantly there has been no deterioration in his kidney function, so he can be declared officially cured

and as an added bonus, the large lump on his front leg which was due to be removed on 10 December suddenly turned more fluidy the weekend before, and has now gone right down - clearly he had decided he'd had enough of being mucked around with ;D   
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2012, 16:42:39 PM »
Fantastic news for Mickey too  :wow:  :wooooo:

Offline Claire123

• Adult Cat
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2012, 14:08:28 PM »
The vet did say about getting his weight checked regularly and that the condition of a cats coat says a lot!
She said she hasn't really got a clue as to the high reading and just guessing at a virus! It does make me wonder how accurate the in house testing was, especially as every other test has been done out of house!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2012, 13:05:05 PM »
that's very interesting, Claire - I don't think much is known about reasons other than an overactive thyroid to raise the T4 levels, so Mickey is baffling veterinary science, it seems

I used to think regular bloodtests were too traumatic for cats, but Trigger has had to 6 so far, and doesn't seem to get too traumatised by the procedure, so I am quite a convert now (not sure I'd say the same if it was me having them :scared:)

regular weighing is a good idea too - I hope Mickey stays well, but even if he does end up with a permanently  overactive thyroid, perhaps Trigger's experience will come in handy
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Claire123

• Adult Cat
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »
That's great news re Trigger!
 Got some good news myself, Mickeys t4 came back at 23 which the vet said was perfect and he has been off all treatment for 6 weeks now :-. She's not sure why he had the original high dosage but said it was more than likely a virus. We just have to keep an eye on his weight, coat and appetite!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2012, 23:28:04 PM »
Thats just brilliant and hope the second test is just as good  :wow: :wow: :wow:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2012, 17:34:59 PM »
Fabulous news, go Trigger  :wow:

On behalf of Rosella:  :yayyy: :narna dance: :yayyy: :narna dance:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2012, 17:03:22 PM »
Brilliant news  :briggin:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2012, 16:47:25 PM »
Sadly dancing bananas won't post on this PC but just imagine them Kay coz this is dancing banyan news if ever there was such a thing  :) :) :)

Absolutely delighted for you both  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2012, 13:19:59 PM »
Trigger's thyroid level 30 days after his radioactive iodine treatment is right at the bottom of the normal range, which is an ideal result for this first test :wooooo:

he has to be done again after a further 30 days, and as long as there has been no big change he will be considered permanently cured
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline AmyH7

• Kitten
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2012, 20:23:25 PM »
Posted this in its own topic, but seeing as this is a dedicated overactive thyroid thread I'll just let you all know here that thos of you that have/have had cats with the condition I would be eternally grateful if you filled in this short questionnaire on its treatment for an A-level school project.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X3SXQLB

Thank you!

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2012, 07:49:17 AM »
This is all really good news, you must be so pleased!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2012, 20:19:03 PM »
Thats very good  ;D ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2012, 09:57:49 AM »
thought I would add to the record that there has been a big improvement in Trigger's poop, post I131

before it was rather pale, rather loose, very smelly and there was rather a lot of it - post I131 all these abnormalities have vanished, even after eating fish, which I had thought he was intolerant to, such was the problem

I had read that HT can upset the liver but I didn't expect such a swift and noticeable improvement
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2012, 23:18:14 PM »
So pleased Trigger is home and happy again. I'm sure the equilibrium will restore once his vet smell has gone.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
I think that most of us are eager to know more about this treatment, just in case but as Rosella says nothing is straight forward and the cat must be a purrrrrrrrrfect subject.

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2012, 11:16:13 AM »
sooo pleased to hear Trigger and Mikey seem to be doing very well.  ;D

and thank you for the updates its really good to know how the I131 works and how your pussy cats have resonded to it  :thanks:
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
Completely agree that Trigger was a perfect candidate (if there is such a  thing) for this treatment. 

When I was briefly considering it for Tom RIP, we were looking at confinement of about 4 to 6 weeks (2 weeks is so much better) and he was 18 at the time which was a very unhappy proposition.  With Fred, his thyroid results weren't that high and helped his kidneys operate a little better which sadly gave in  :(.  It's a complicated condition and as you say, complicated further with a lot of older cats with underlying kidney problems.

I can just imagine how happy your household is today  :) :) :) ............ well .... at least I hope Tiffany will come round soon  :innocent:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2012, 23:13:00 PM »
it's very swings and roundabouts, though, Rosella

HT is more likely in older cats, but then so are other conditions, especially CRF, which would tend to rule out an irreversible cure like I131

I think with older cats, say over 14, their ability to tolerate medication is perhaps the most important factor - some cats cannot tolerate Felimazole or Vidalta, and for them only surgery or I131 are options - and for the older cat surgery might well be considered the more risky procedure, as I131 in itself doesn't seem to pose any  health risk, as long as the kidneys don't crash

with a cat Trigger's age, medication for perhaps 7+ years, while the thyroid tumour continues to grow, is not IMO a happy prospect
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2012, 22:22:09 PM »
Our Tom RIP was incorrectly diagnosed HyperT (he was never anything other than perhaps borderline).  Consequently I initially researched everything HyperT related including the Iodine treatment.  He was insured with Axa and they confirmed they would fund the treatment if the vet recommended it and that was a few years back.

Problem is of course that HyperT is usually associated with cats older than Trigger and consequently the premiums tend to be very high as they get older.  We won't be able to afford to insure all ours as they get older so we are building up a fund to cover such eventualities. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 22:23:14 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2012, 21:58:20 PM »
I just wish I had kept up his insurance  :( - but at least I have Tiffany and Tosker insured now

I would be interested to know how willing insurance companies are to fund I131 though, and if the age of the cat is taken into account by them - I don't know what surgical removal costs, but as it has a fairly high rate of recurrence, insurance companies may well prefer I131 - and perhaps regular meds over both

Trigger was never a candidate for a thyroidectomy anyway, as even with a really high T4 reading he had no palpable thyroid gland 

I'll come back to this thread when he has his next blood test in 4 weeks time, and the outcome of the I131 is known
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 21:17:47 PM »
Oh that's not bad at all.  I thought it was so much more restrictive. 

What a wonderful treatment.  From what I hear, it is almost always successful.  You must be over the moon Kay  :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2012, 19:51:20 PM »
the only rule is that the litter he uses, and what he uses it for, of course, must be binned and kept for 4 weeks before it is put out for the usual refuse collection - if a flushable litter is used it can be put down the loo

and close contact with the cat should be avoided for a week or two - longer for pregnant women and very young children

but to be honest the stress on these precautions is very light, and they are government strictures laid on to veterinary centres doing the iodine treatment, so I get the feeling no one really believes there is any risk if they are ignored - they are not, after all, released until the radiation level has fallen to acceptable limits, and in the US the maximum time they are kept isolated is 3 days

but I have set up a separate bin for the litter, so will abide by that rule - but he is going to get all the  :cat rub: and  :ahh: he wants

Tiff thinks I have brought a new cat into the house behind her back, and is having a big sulk - but as he ignores her just as much as Tosker does when she hisses at him, she'll has no option but to get over it
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2012, 18:32:34 PM »
Just home from work and came on to check  :)

Hey Trigger lad  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:  Home at last!  Blimey that was a long time without snoozles  :catlove2: :catlove2: :catlove2: :catlove2:

Everything crossed that 4 weeks time will show the right results  :) 

Sooooooo...... come on Kay........... leave him alone for second  :innocent: and tell us what is involved in his care for next few weeks.  Is he radioactive?  Does he need to be kept apart from his pals for while or what?  So interested in all this. 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 15:36:43 PM »
Great news that Mickey is doing so well  ;D Fingers crossed for the test on the 26th :crossed:

As for young Trigger....  :welcome: home Trigger   :wow:

So pleased it all went so smoothly, hope Tiffany gets over it soon! When Riley stayed at the vets for one night Lu was hissing at him for quite a few days after so she might still be a bit off with him for a while yet but tell him not to worry :care:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2012, 14:37:14 PM »
Brilliant and so pleased he has put on weight, I hope the blood test provesw that it has been an unmitigated success  ;D ;D ;D

I am sure Tiffany will get to love him again..................when he gets his home smell back  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2012, 14:31:14 PM »
Triggs is home  :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

and was he thrilled to find himself back in familar surroundings again ;D

he seems very well and  has put on 400 grams whilst away - his first post I131 blood test won't be for another 4 weeks, but there is nothing to suggest at this stage that the treatment hasn't  been a total success

it hasn't been cheap, but the separation was easier for me than I had expected, because I suppose I didn't have to worry about him, and he has come through it without any problems

Tiffany, on the other hand, took one sniff of him, hissed very loudly, and ran off to hide outside - I expect her back in by teatime though ;) ;)
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2012, 08:41:31 AM »
So pleased to hear about Mickey and will have everything crossed on 26 October for good results from blood test  :)  Glossy winter coat eh?  Sounds good  :wow:

Do you have weighing scales?  I've never regretted getting the scales we bought.  If you do, I would suggest a weekly weigh in whilst you are concerned about him  :hug:

Sending a  :catlove2: to the young man

Offline Claire123

• Adult Cat
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2012, 23:11:50 PM »
I keep looking for updates on Trigger, hope he can come home tomorrow as planned!
 Mickey is doing great thank you, so much so we have put his blood test back a couple of weeks and he's having it on the 26th October regardless of how he is. His sores have healed well, he's getting a lovely glossy winter coat, eating well but doesn't look like he's losing weight and no vomiting ( inside at least ) so hopeful but not getting our hopes up to much until after the blood test! He's certainly back to his old self after stopping all the medication!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2012, 22:52:28 PM »
Lovely to think that Trigger will be home with his ma tomorrow  :) :) :)

Am wondering how Mickey is getting along?  :shy:  Hope all is well?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2012, 22:08:07 PM »
Only one more sleep til Trigger comes home  :wow: :waiting:

Hope the journey goes well tomorrow and that he settles back in soon enough  :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2012, 22:55:50 PM »
Delighted to hear he is doing so well well Kay  :) :) :)  Agree with Gill that the response sounds like an honest one which is so very reassuring  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Roll on 12 October .................

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 17:41:29 PM »
Can't believe you lasted as long as you did, very restrained!  :hug: Pleased to hear the news is good, not long now and he'll be back home - hopefully completely fixed  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2012, 16:55:41 PM »
I am pleased that the answer was good and sounds honest and they respect the owners feelings too. A sign of a good place  ;D ;D

I know when my cats are in hospital at my vet I am encouraged to ring at any time 24/7. I think they also like to know that the owner is concerned and interested in their cats wellbeing and treatment.

Link to CatChat