Author Topic: Please can I ask a silly question?  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
Re: Please can I ask a silly question?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
it's hard to decide what to do for the best.  somebody i knew brought me a stray that she'd been feeding in her garden.  i told her off because it's possible he was somebodies cat and just hung around because he was getting free food.  i took him in, advertised him everywhere, got him neutered and on sunday he died (i think from a bad reaction to antibiotics for an infection).  it was the most harrowing thing i've ever witnessed, watching him die before i could get him to a vet and part of me wishes he'd just been left to find his own way home.  on the other hand, nobody has come forward to claim him so it could be that he had the warmest 8 weeks of his life here.  personally i dont get strays in my garden, rpobably because i have dogs but i'd like to think that i'd be strong enough to ignore one for a sensible amount of time before involving myself.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:29:29 AM »
So pleased they are all in rescue

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 21:45:14 PM »
So an update. Turns out baby girl who everyone saw said was in season was adopted by a couple with a neutered male.
Couple of weeks ago male from couple was found trying to dump female who was resuced and in taken in and 2 days ago she gave birth to 6 but 1 kit dead
Now she and 5 kits are in rescue

I dont understand people sometimes. I mean I know logically I cant help and have to be cruel in the hope of kindness but to take a cat in when youre told its in season and then dump it later for being pregnant. I dispair

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 19:43:09 PM »
Thank you for that. It seems harsh but if its the right thing to do I will make sure my cat friends who would grab any cat they saw walking around know. Its so sad knowing that if Id seen it I would love to help it but theres no way I could take it in with Amber so now I know. I mean logically I know cats can hunt for food and at this time of year if its not hurt or ill its warm enough outside. I guess Im just a softy as are my friends.
love
tab

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 19:25:16 PM »
I now agree with the RSPCA on this one. If you are not in the position to do anything then leave the thing alone. If it goes somewhere else looking for food, they may adopt it. Also by feeding it, it could be argued that you are accepting responsibility for it and its welfare.

Ideally someone will care enough to take the cat in , ensure it is spayed and chipped (to indicate it has been spayed so is not spayed again!) and find a home.
Sadly too many young "stray" females are producing too many kittens at the moment.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Please can I ask a silly question?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 19:18:39 PM »
Its not me thankfully as Id be torn to bits but someone from one of the other blocks of flats found a young female cat. Thinks it was in season and left it alone. 2 days later it followed them into the block of flats. They tried it with their cat but all hell let loose so put it back outside. Next day its still there and obviously starving. Gave it some food then managed to get it in a basket and took to the vets to see if chipped. It wasnt so they took it to the local rescue who told her off for feeding it and said she should have just left it and if it was still there in 2 weeks they would take it in.
I do understand that feeding a cat is likely to encourage it but after 3day of it hanging around and then walking into a block of flats with a stranger surely feeding cant be wrong. I said I thought 3 days wasnt long if it had gone walkabout but I cant decide if I wouldnt do the same seeing a hungry cat.

Whats the best thing to do?

Ive directed her to here and cat chat to search for lost and found but she had to put the cat back outside as she had no where to put it. Another couple in the block seem to have adopted it for now so the cats safe and shes keeping an eye on lost and found and ringing local vets and stuff.

Like I say it didnt happen to me thankfully as the last one that did ended up moving in back in 1999 and hasnt left  :evillaugh:
Although if I brought home another cat I think she would  >:(
love
tab

Link to CatChat