Author Topic: Foster or Adopt in Manchester  (Read 12269 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Foster or Adopt in Manchester
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
Are you still looking Bexter?

Have just seen a thread about a 4 yr old indoor cat in Leeds who is looking for an indoor home as an only cat...

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,41353.msg757807.html#msg757807

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 20:20:37 PM »
And long haired! My fave. Totally jealous.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 19:49:59 PM »
Black and whites are stunning  ;D Not that I am biased of course  :shify: :shify:

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 19:35:28 PM »

By the way, get a copy of Tom Cox's "Under the Paw" and leave it lying around, I bet your OH will feel much better knowing there are perfectly sane Cat Men too.  :rofl:

I'll check it out. Personally, I'm in love with Deric Longden's cat books too. They're so heartwarming but at the same time so witty.

There's a post just gone up about a pair of cats in Leeds whose owner has died, it says they have lived happily as both indoor and outdoor cats

Thanks! I've just had a look. I do have a soft spot for black and black and white cats. I think it's weird that they're not more popular!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 15:44:01 PM »
So pleased that you're OH is now fully on board  ;D You're very patient Bexter, not sure I could have waited that long  :evillaugh:

There's a post just gone up about a pair of cats in Leeds whose owner has died, it says they have lived happily as both indoor and outdoor cats

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,42390.msg751624.html#msg751624

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 15:31:19 PM »
Oh Bexter, I know what you mean. We had our hearts set on a little guy at London Cat Rescue back in 2007, but when we enquired he'd been adopted out the week before but the website hadn't been updated.

We were invited down anyway and ended up being introduced to Theo who was not on their website yet due to recovering from an RTA.  :(

Theo went straight for my OH and nuzzled into his neck purring like a tractor - well that was it really - decision made! I didn't even get to vote :-[ Two weeks later Theo was out of his enforced cage rest at the rescue and making himself right at home here, and has remained OH's cat ever since.  :-:

I think they know, y'know, when there's someone needing a bit more convincing? By the way, get a copy of Tom Cox's "Under the Paw" and leave it lying around, I bet your OH will feel much better knowing there are perfectly sane Cat Men too.  :rofl:

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 15:14:20 PM »
And my OH had finally come round to taking on a cat or two properly if we find the right one :) and he seems quite excited about it!

We do want the right cat though, so will be being picky. For both ours and the cats sake, as we work and it's indoor only.

I've already fallen in love with a few cats, contacted the shelters and found that theyre gone. I see many mini heartbreaks ahead!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 15:26:59 PM »
Good luck and am sure that your help will be sought  :hug: :hug:

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 13:09:41 PM »
Thanks SheilaRose, I'm actually in the city centre! I've started contacting shelters, so fingers crossed. 

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »
That's wonderful, Bexter.  ;D

Are you north or south Manchester? You know one of our Purrs registered rescues is Paws Inn at Weaverham, and our Christmas Auction is benefitting them this year.  :Luv:

See if you like anything on here...(scroll down for some fab pics), and our Carol(Wendolene) will be able to tell you anything you need to know about the individuals as she volunteers there.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,42263.0.html

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »
Hi everyone, I've got a bit of an update, we've decided that we can offer a foster home. Wether it be for an older cat, a more difficult cat or pregnant cats and kittens. Long term or short term.

We have a large and secure flat that we're happy to share with fluffy friends.

I've got quite a lot of experience with cats and have cared for cats with allergies, pegnant cats and helped bottle feed a kitten.

We are both out during the day and have no car, but I'm ok to travel by other means to pick up cats or take them to vets.

Let me know if you know of any cats that need help.

We think this is the best decision for us at the moment, to ease my OH in to the idea that some cats are OK indoors whilst also hopefully helping some cats find their forever homes.

I think I could really help with finding homes for more difficult cats as I would be keen to take a lot of photos and video and report on the process.

:D

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 22:09:16 PM »
Aw, poor Dainty and Fontaine, they've been waiting for ages! And Lottie's gorgeous.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 15:52:02 PM »
Hi Bex, I just posted on your welcome thread then saw this.

Me too, and I didnt realise you had posted on Moos thread.

I also think about this little one regularly (I so love Lotties little face!)

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,39111.msg719784.html#msg719784
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »
Hi Bex, I just posted on your welcome thread then saw this.

I think your BF will be a different person when he sees some of the needy cases who would not do well at all outside, but would flourish indoors. I'm thinking maybe about a little girl called Dainty and her step-sister Fontaine. Dainty has a minor issue that would mean she would need to be an indoor cat, and Fontaine is her best friend who has no issues but would be brilliant company and stimulation for Dainty if they could stay together. These two have been in rescue since they were born 19 months ago, so are already "indoor" cats.

http://www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk/index.php?route=shelter/cat&path=46&cat_id=343

I did wonder if perhaps these two would be suitable candidates for fostering (theyr'e a bit older and already settled together) as you've mentioned that as a possibility, but you'd need to speak to the rescue about that.

Good luck with your search. You sound so lovely, I'm sure you and BF will have a wonderful life together and a couple of fluffy helpers will always be a bonus.  :hug:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:40:05 PM by sheilarose »

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 21:56:24 PM »
Janey, We've not been in this flat long, and I hadn't planned on moving any time soon. I guess we just hadn't had 'the discussion' before we moved in. I just kind of assumed he would be OK with it as I'd made it clear I wanted a cat in my life.

There's still a chance he could come round.

Mymblesdaughter, same here. I wouldn't like to keep an animal in an unnatural habitat, but after knowing how many cats are abandoned and how many disabled cats struggle to get homes it changed my mind.

I'm not in a rush and will certainly be looking for the right cat that would be happy in this environment.

:Luv:

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 16:53:03 PM »
I think an FIV cat would be perfect as they struggle so much to find homes  :Luv:  Maybe someone on here can point you in the right direction  :)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 16:38:14 PM »
I used to be like your OH and thought it was cruel to keep a cat indoors but after volunteering at a shelter I've totally changed my mind. So many cats are there for months and even years. In a space that is much smaller than a house or flat. Cats are very lucky if they have a loving home. As long as you give them lots of attention and play with them most cats are happy. Some cats especially if they have been outside will find it difficult to adapt but otherwise they will be fine. Maybe if you take him to a local shelter and he sees the situation he will change his mind.

If you are out all day I would definitely consider getting two. I have a brother and sister and they play together a lot and really keep each other company and I don't feel as guilty leaving them as when I had one cat. 

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 16:16:32 PM »
It's really good that you're giving it a lot of consideration.  Although many people suggest blind cats it's not always the case, I have a deaf and blind cat and I know he would be upset if he could never go out anymore, he loves to be out in the fresh air (although he's secure in our garden and I'd never let him roam) so I think it really is a case of finding the right cat for you and it won't necessarily be the ones you think.  I know it's disappointing but I think your boyfriend sounds a really caring chap and it's good at he's not rushing into it.  Would you be able to have a garden in the near future do you think? 
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 21:37:15 PM »
Thanks guys. I completely understand where he's coming from, he hasn't been involved in 'the cat community' as much as I have (I used to volunteer for cats protection) and the idea of indoor cats is very new to him, but I've had indoor cats before.

It would be a shame if he said no because we would both give a cat (or two  :sneaky: ) a lot of love and our flat is like a cats playground!

I'll see what happens. And in the meantime get my cat fix on here :)

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:29:10 AM »
Aww yes, you both have to be sure  :)  if moo is still here in october and your OH comes round , i would love moo to be an indoor cat  :) She's been mostly indoors now for 9 months and although she gets occassional time in the garden (cat proofed) , it's very rare.  She most definately cannot go to an outdoor (free roaming) home as she's a scaredy and spooks easily  :(  She's the kind of cat i think would just panic and run into the road if she heard a loud noise or saw another cat .  Access to a whole house/flat is a lot more than she gets now too .

Good luck with with your search :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 23:26:59 PM »
Oh that's such a shame, you're right though - you both have to be 100% on board and happy with your choices  :hug:

I personally am pro indoor-cats, whilst I agree that some cats wouldn't be suited to an indoor life there are many cats (healthy or otherwise) that are quite happy to spend their days stretched out on the sofa reciving tummy rubs and cuddles in the warm. My own cats were indoor only for the first year of their lives and whilst they are now able to go out to a catproofed garden, which they do undoubtedly enjoy, I would say that overall they are no happier now than they were then and only occasionally go out.

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 22:53:22 PM »
I would get on a train to meet Moo now if I could, I've totally fallen for her :)

But I'm actually struggling at the moment with my other half. He loves cats, but is uncomfortable with keeping a cat indoors. After initially agreeing to it 'so long as it was a special needy indoor cat', he's now gone back on it and has started to question it again.

If we got a cat, he would love it to bits, but I can't push him into a decision. He is only trying to think of the good of the cat.

It might sound a little over the top, but I'm heartbroken. :(

I wasn't going to start a search properly until the end of October after my holiday. Maybe he'll come round by then or maybe something will come of fostering for a shelter.
:)

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 13:48:21 PM »
Well little moo moo is still looking for a pad of her own :naughty:

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 21:21:42 PM »
Of course I'm tempted by Moo Moo, who wouldn't be? ;)

I'm not actually looking few months though, due to a holiday. Also still considering fostering at the moment instead.

Hope she finds someone soon!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 20:22:05 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Bex

I saw you posted on Moo Moo's thread, are you tempted by her?  :sneaky:

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 18:02:58 PM »
Thanks Janey!

I spoke to a couple of shelters yesterday. One says they often get cats better suited for indoors such as FIV cats. This might be the better option for me, as another shelter said I may not be suitable for fostering due to working full time.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Bex!

The best thing I think is what you suggest - to get in touch with rescues, waiting until after your holiday sounds ideal, and they will be able to advise  :)

You can have a look through the rehoming sections here on Purrs,  and also contact rescues in your area, here's a list:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/lancs.html

Good luck!

Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bexter

• Adult Cat
  • Currently catless
Foster or Adopt in Manchester
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 21:32:37 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm currently deciding whether to foster cats or get a special cat of my own.  :Luv2:

I live in a large flat in Manchester and feel like I could give a good home to a more needy cat that needs an indoor home. I was thinking FIV or a deaf cat.

The other option is to become a fosterer! I've started to do a little research on this and am planning to call all of my local shelters to see if they need any help. I was wondering if my situation was suitable though as I don't have a car and I work during the day.

I'm going to wait until after my holiday in October then I plan to put my research into action. Any tips let me know, or if you see a little indoor cat that might like to come and live with me, let me know.

Bex

Link to CatChat