Author Topic: Cat not eating  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Cat not eating
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 14:28:50 PM »
Thanks Hippykitty, he's fine now. Don't know what was wrong with him, my OH has been away for 3 weeks and think that might have been part of the problem also because the weather has been so warm. He's still not eating as much as he was but it's a lot more. He won't touch any of his wet food but he's always preferred the dry anyway.   

He doesn't go out so can't have been getting food any other way.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 09:27:35 AM »
Is he indoor only? Or does he go out? If he goes out, isn't eating at home, but is putting on weight, perhaps a neighbour is feeding him or he's a good hunter.

The vet's opinion that he has tummy pain is a little worrying, though this could be pusscat IBS, (not really sure if they get it).
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »
Yes I felt like a right fool. :-[ I was glad but annoyed at the same time. I went and got chicken last night and neither of them will eat it. So I hope the cat downstairs like chicken.

It is strange though because even if he is getting enough food he is not eating much so it can't possible have caused him to put on weight. I suppose he could have had a couple of weeks of eating a lot then gone on a bit of a diet because of the hot weather!

He is eating a little bit more now and I've decided not to keep hand feeding him as he is a bit of a Mummy's boy and I don't want it to become a habit. Also I don't feel as sorry for him as I did.

Thanks everyone for your advise, I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 00:53:27 AM »
Hope the bland diet does the trick for him and gets his appetite back on track :care:

Well Xander is still not eating much so I took him to the vet today. I can't believe it he's actually put on weight!

Oh dear, he's trying to embarrass you isn't he!  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 18:44:12 PM »
i hope he will start eating again soon  :hug: :hug:

i forgot to get sasas chicken when i was out grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 18:12:28 PM »
Well Xander is still not eating much so I took him to the vet today. I can't believe it he's actually put on weight! She can't find anything wrong with him except he was going over onto his side when she squeezed his stomach which means it could be painful. She said to give him plain fish and chicken for a few days and see how he goes. So off to the supermarket again for me. Hope he'll eat some of it. He only really likes his biscuits. 

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »
I've been out and got some hairball paste it's made by beaphar they have both been dosed up. I'll give it to Xander for the next few days and let you know how he goes. He did eat some biscuits last night and I got some applaws biscuits this morning and he's eaten a few of those. So fingers crossed.

They do seem to produce really big fur balls none of my other cats have. So think it's worth using this stuff and I must brush them more often. 

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »
My elderly cat gets a lot of furballs and stops eating for a day or so. I buy Katalax on line, cheaper than the vets, and she loves it, licks it off the tube. 2 days of Katalax treatment and she leaves me a nice sausage shaped furball on her chair. Hopefully thats all that is wrong.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 19:10:12 PM »
Thanks everyone, it could be the weather as it is quite warm. Last time we had hot weather they both went off their food and I fed them late at night and they were fine.

I will pop down to the pet shop tomorrow and get some fur ball treatment.   

I've never given him ham before I was getting desperate for something with a strong taste to tempt him the same with tuna I wouldn't normal feed it to him. He hardly ate any and now I'm stuck with ham and smoked mackerel! I'm veggie so I'm not going to be eating it.   

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 18:42:18 PM »
Furball. Always my first thought when a cat stops eating. Out with the furball treatment or tuna in oil. If the problem hasn't gone away, usually in the form of a sausage-shaped fur filled vomit, after a week of regular treatment (the petshop stuff is fine) then consider taking Xander to the vet, till then you may be wasting money on vet bills and stressing your cat with the visit.

Cats do get under the weather for trivial things; they don't always need a vet. You're doing the right thing in posting the problem here, as sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference.

PS try to avoid giving your cats ham, I read somewhere that the preservatives aren't good for cats.

Re-reading the thread, I see that Xander is showing definite signs of furball.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 18:47:46 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 16:56:53 PM »
The weather affects my two a lot, when it's very warm they can go for two or three days not eating very much - a few mouthfuls and that's it. if Xander is fine otherwise, and drinking water, then you're right to give him a bit longer. no point stressing him with a trip to the vet if he doesn't need it.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 16:30:17 PM »
I have just had a very sick Lupin who wasnt eating at all bit also being sick.

He only came out of hospital yesterday cos he wasnt well at all and now I am trying to get him to eat after 7 days of not eating.

He was curled up under a radiator and hardly moving.

So agree with Susanne that as he is eating treats and acting normal I dont think he has a health problem.

He is maybe sulking after you having people there but think you need to start offering food to him as treats , rather than treats.

I hope he perks up and wants to eat soon  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 16:27:16 PM »
Thanks Tiggy's Mum, It's very strange.  :dont get it:If he seemed ill i'd be taking him to the vets straight away but he seems so well. I think I'll give it till after the weekend and see how he goes. I tried to look at his teeth earlier without much success, I'll give it another go later.

The other thing I wondered about was fur balls, I've found a couple of lots of sick (oh the joy of cat ownership) over the last couple of weeks. Actually they were just big furballs about the size of a mouse. I was wondering if a furball might cause him to be off his food? 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 16:09:35 PM »
What's the weather like where you are? If it's warmer than usual that could be an explanation. I wouldn't have thought he would still be stressed by the vaccinations three weeks ago, mine aren't keen on visitors either and usually just stay out of the way but don't think that visitors would stop them eating.

Can you look at his gums at all? If they're red then he may have gingivitis but it's not that common in such young cats. If he was letharic and miserable then if he were mine I would be worried but as he is still playing, is toileting OK and seems happy I'd probably just keep an eye on him and tempt him with some nice foods to perk his appetite up. When Riley was poorly and stopped eating he wouldn't even look at a Dreamie whereas normally he would have my hand off so the fact that Xander is able to devour treats OK is a positive sign.

Let us know how he gets on and please administer this healing headkiss to him :care:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
Cat not eating
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 15:27:41 PM »
I can't believe I'm asking another question about my cats just a week after being so worried about Buffy. I've now got a problem with Xander, he's hardly eating anything. It was difficult to notice at first as Buffy just hoovers everything up. He's not been eating much for the last 2 or 3 days. He's always been a fussy eater but has always eaten his biscuits. I've been out and brought him some things to tempt him like ham and tuna which he's eaten a bit of but not much and only from my hand. He's happily eating all different types of cat treats no problem. He's very well in himself and is drinking and going to the loo. He's been playing with his sister and isn't depressed at all.     

I did wonder if it could be stress as he's been to the vets for his booster 3 weeks ago, he's been treated for fleas for the first time, my husbands away and my Mum's been for a visit(They hate people in the house)

I have phoned the vet and spoken to the receptionist he said they are open tomorrow so if he's not any better by then maybe bring him in to put my mind at rest. He thought it could be his teeth.

Anyone every had anything like this with their cats?

Link to CatChat