Author Topic: Jasmine spraying update and more advice please :)  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
Re: Jasmine spraying update and more advice please :)
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 19:26:50 PM »
I think it's worth a go tbh - I'll chat to him again and suggest we try it for a couple of weeks just to see if it makes any difference at all or not :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 19:21:28 PM »
Fairly sure the frosting stuff is removable, if it is you could just put it up when your husband is out  :naughty: You can tell him it's a one week trial and that you'll take it down next week. If Jasmine doesn't spray then you can discuss whether to take it down and he can deal with the cleaning up when she starts spraying again or whether to leave it up. You could also do a half height frosted bit to see how that looks.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 19:17:32 PM »
Unfortunately we've already got blinds and she manages to just easily slot behind them  :naughty:I'll have to put my thinking cap on  :scared:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 16:27:20 PM »
Would it be feasible to put blinds up. These might be useful, especially as you've mentioned that the riff-raff only come out at night. You need some way of obscuring her view of them. I know from my own cats that curtains are too easy for them to get behind, whereas blinds fit closer to the window.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 22:18:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies - I've discussed putting something like that on the window's with the other half but he's not keen and thinks it's too drastic (but then he's not the one cleaning up the wee!!) so that's a bit frustrating.

I don't think she'd be happy at all as an indoor cat as she loves going out (plus with Meg going out and a cat flap it would be impossible to do really).

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 22:11:04 PM »
I agree with Tiggy's mum.

Have you considered keeping her indoors? She may be happier as a cat who doesn't have to come into contact with the "riff-raff" on the block.  :scared:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 22:00:51 PM »
What about putting some window frosting up on the front windows so she won't see the intruder cats,  you can get 'stick on' stuff rather than having to replace the glazing. I once viewed a house that had a frosted lounge window (just plain frosting - no retro patterns!) and it looked really nice and still let in loads of light.

Even if it was a temporary measure to see if there is any change...

http://www.diy.com/search/static%20cling%20window%20film/Static-Cling-Film-Frost-11807531

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
Jasmine spraying update and more advice please :)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 17:27:36 PM »
As some of you know Jasmine started spraying in the house recently (she's about 2.5 years old now) and initially I thought it was due to Meg kitten (who is now coming up a year) but after getting a behaviourist in we've actually realised that she's spraying due to other cats on the block. She only sprays at night and it's only after she sights another cat out the front of the house (from looking out of the lounge window).

Last night I saw her in full action. You can tell when she spots an 'intruder' cat as she runs manically from window to window and last night I spotted a white cat on the driveway opposite and she dashed into the conservatory and sprayed up the window. We never see another cat outside during the day it's always at night  :scared:

We've got things down now to her regularly spraying twice a week on average and it's usually on windowsills on windows at the front of the house.

The last couple of week's she's been harder and harder to get in at night and last week for the first time ever we heard 2 cat fights out the front about 10pm and both times she came in shortly afterwards with a scratch across her nose :( She wears an identitag so lately we've been having to track her down at night and pick her up and bring her home as she wants to stay out 'patrolling' but we want her in at night.

On the plus side her and Meg are getting along fairly well and she seems happy at home. I'm pleased I know why she's spraying at that it's nothing to do with Meg but I don't know what we can do to try and deal with the spraying now.

We've got 3 litter trays around the house, feliway plug ins, I use feliway spray each night on the spray sites, numerous feeding/watering stations around the house, lots of interactive toys and recently we bought a huuuuuge activity centre which she likes.

Would just welcome any suggestions at all really.

My latest plan is that we adopt the huuuugest male kitten from a rescue litter and he can grow up to protect the house for her and be her bodyguard  ;D Only joking of course!!!

Link to CatChat