Author Topic: Rust coloured tears  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
Re: Rust coloured tears
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 15:58:33 PM »
Not at all...he's upbeat, lively, hungry, has the odd little sneeze (but nothing irregular)...he's an indoor cat too so isn't mixing with other cats...Hmmm...will see how he is later then.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 15:48:27 PM »
Does he have any other symptoms which might indicate cat flu?

I've seen this in cats with flu and cats who have had flu but overcome it. It may, of course, just be sleep, but it could also be a sign of blocked tear ducts.

Polly had these all her life, in both eyes. I became her slave when she was about five and she'd had flu previously. Nevertheless, she lived to be 22 and her eyesight seemed unaffected.

Personally, I'd advise a trip to the vet, even though it may only be sleep; best to be sure.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 14:41:36 PM »
Puurrfect...thanks!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 14:22:16 PM »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 13:44:43 PM »
it was discussed on another thread only a few weeks ago, if you have a search you might find it and it might put your mind at rest, can't remember who it was unfortunately

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 13:43:19 PM »
Thanks Dawn, might see how he gets on over the next few days and take it from there.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 13:41:22 PM »
does sound like sleep, if you are worried give the vet a ring but my old cat had it a lot, we used to give his eyes a wipe every day

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 13:37:16 PM »
Hmm...I'm not 100% to be honest with you.  It's only one eye and seems quite "crusty" when cleaning it off.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 13:34:26 PM »
are you sure it isnt' sleep?  that has a darkish brown colour and if wet can look a little red

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
Rust coloured tears
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 13:28:28 PM »
I've read a few posts that list watery eyes or discoloured tears but not sure if any give an explanation on what it is.

Our youngest, Sherlock, has rust coloured tears coming from his right eye (I suspect it's a little blood).  His brother had conjunctivitis a while back but that's cleared up.  They play fight quite a bit and I think maybe he's taken a foot to the face.

He seems fine in himself, is eating, sleeping and playing as normal.  Should I take him to "THE VET" or save him the stress and hold fire a few days?  It's been like this since Saturday and hasn't got any better/worse.

Link to CatChat