Author Topic: probate and press? any lawyers out there....  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: probate and press? any lawyers out there....
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 22:11:45 PM »
I am no solicitor Angie but am pretty long in the tooth  :innocent: 

Until Probate is granted the executors do not have the authority to act on behalf of the person who has died.  As you are swearing an oath, I take it you are at least one of the executors?  Is there any chance of other beneficiaries disputing the Will? 

Assuming no hitches, once the oaths have been sworn, it's usually only a matter of weeks after swearing oaths until the probate registry grants probate at which point the executors are then tasked with gathering together the assets of the person who has died and carrying out their wishes in accordance with the Will. 

If Probate is granted within 3 to 6 months of death, that is pretty normal.  To actually fully distribute an estate rarely takes less than 6 months.  In my experience 12 months or more is more the norm.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
Re: probate and press? any lawyers out there....
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 21:34:55 PM »
I would do it when you feel ready, ie your gut instinct as to what a solicitor says. on the other had it may be better practically just to get legal matters sorted so you know whats what so to speak? probate can be a long process though ... solicitors are good at dragging it out.
i think this is definately a case of you know best! x

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
probate and press? any lawyers out there....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 18:46:58 PM »
I go to swear something tomorrow and that then goes to obtain probate (or something like that)

in the meantime as you know I have been gearing up for publicity and the local paper want to do an article. I am going ahead with it but the solicitor is trying to make me hang fire a bit.

I don't want to put the paper off as it can sometimes be hard to get publicity when you want it.

I shall ask solicitor tomorrow why but anyone any ideas?
We are meeting reporter tomorrow afternoon.

yours, even more impatient .... :P

Link to CatChat